Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

SQ298 CHC SIN 12:00 17:40 and then pick up the BA flight is another [expensive] option. If you ever get to talk to BA & they allow it.

Visit a real live walking taking travel agent in a travel shop?? [pay for service]

Anyway you could stay in Kiwiland for the winter !
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:26 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Anyway you could stay in Kiwiland for the winter !
UK residents can stay for six months, IIRC, so at least you'd avoid breaking the rules and being deported (if there's even a method of deporting by that point!)
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: BA GGL
Originally Posted by Richardc77
So far after 20 attempts BA have always cut us off after. 5 min wait. I’d love to speak to them! This includes Auckland and Sydney numbers
Keep in mind your GMT+13 position. There will be key opening hours in the UK that'll make it harder to get through, along with the thousands of others who are trying. Make it clear you're in need of help - although you may wish to phone travel agent first to assure what options you have at this stage.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: Mucci (Scirocco Sash), BAEC Gold, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I can totally understand that you want to take the service you’ve paid for (both flights and hotel in Sydney), but given how busy the phone lines are going to be for the foreseeable future the chance of you getting through to BA seems low. That combined with the uncertainty as to how you would transit Sydney makes that a very high risk option to my mind – and on “transiting” in particular, I’d note that has quite a specific meaning in air travel terms which I don’t think you fall within, i.e. if you were transiting Sydney you would be getting off one flight and getting on another without leaving the airside part of the airport. You will be entering Australia in immigration terms, which is different.

Personally I would book whatever alternative gets you back to the UK with minimum fuss, probably something like Emirates ex-NZ to the UK via Dubai, at your own cost – I think you should be resigning yourself to the fact that you will likely need to abandon the rest of your holiday if your priority is getting back to the UK.
wrp96, florens and RafKa like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We’re flying to Auckland tomorrow via Christchurch but not due to fly into Sydney until Friday when we were booked into 4 nights accom before flying out on BA on Tuesday 24th.

Ok many thanks that sounds good then so it’s down to if BA cancel next Tuesdays flight or if BA can get us onto an earlier one (if I can ever get through to them...)
To me better to fly to SYD on the day of the BA flight, if schedules work, or day before and overnight at a SYD airport hotel. If that means abandoning AKL-SYD ticket & booked accommodation so beit

Other wise 4 days in self isolation at your Sydney hotel
Au government info---> https://www.health.gov.au/resources/...nal-travellers

Been able to contact BA?
RafKa likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 16, 2020 at 1:36 pm
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

No joy apart from the NZ number...and they referred to UK exec as avios 241 booking.

If we decide to rebook and just get out of dodge, which airline and route should we take to best avoid possible isolation issues and non co coperative borders?

In Auckland this arvo
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
No joy apart from the NZ number...and they referred to UK exec as avios 241 booking.

If we decide to rebook and just get out of dodge, which airline and route should we take to best avoid possible isolation issues and non co coperative borders?

In Auckland this arvo
Personally if it was me I would go EK ASAP back to the UK. Cost be damned
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In Auckland this arvo
To UK or to Aust, and hope to get on your BA flight?
Or stay in NZ and fly to SYD to get your BA flight.
You may not have much of a choice. Long haul flights have many pax like you trying to home, before its becomes more difficult
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auckland_Airport

EK via DXB to any UK airport. Not just LHR
QR via DOH to any UK airport. Not just LHR
CX via HKG to UK
SQ via SIN to UK
The situation is changing very quickly
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
You can probably forget the via Canada option suggested earlier. They have just imposed restrictions on foreigners arriving - not sure if this means transit too.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
Personally if it was me I would go EK ASAP back to the UK. Cost be damned

Why Via Dubai? Least chance of getting stuck there? Wife seems to favour Sydney/Perth but admits only cause she doesn’t want to get stuck in Dubai! 🙈
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:42 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Why Via Dubai? Least chance of getting stuck there?
Around 20 flights to UK airports a day. All still running.
Mwenenzi, Crampedin13A and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Air side transits, 24hr operation (no curfews) and to many airports
The business model of the ME3 is long haul via home airport hubs
But check the current situation

PER is hard to fly to UK at best of times (EK or QR, SQ). Look at the wikipedia PER link
AKL to PER will be limited to Air NZ
Crampedin13A and nancypants like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 16, 2020 at 6:03 pm Reason: added "24hr operation (no curfews)"
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
You may want to research and see what is still available and what you can book for tomorrow ex-NZ if that is what you are now considering. As the clock ticks, availability and options are probably going away. QR has return AKL-DOH-LHR coach tickets departing 19MAR for ~2200NZD; they are not showing any coach availability for 18MAR AKL-DOH-LHR.
Crampedin13A and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by USA_flyer
if he doesn't have an esta, he'll need to apply for one soon then.

I just hope he and his party get home ok!
it's not a sound proposition to go thru the US, since you can be waiting for hours to go thru immigration and custom. Going thru HKG is the best choice, since only a security check is required.

Old Mar 16, 2020, 9:38 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by aznfreak007
it's not a sound proposition to go thru the US, since you can be waiting for hours to go thru immigration and custom.
Haven't seen any reports of delays at SFO or LAX.

Travelers returning from Paris on Sunday said they breezed through customs at San Francisco International Airport and did not undergo medical screening for the coronavirus — a sharp contrast from many airports across the nation that saw chaos as staff scrambled to test passengers for symptoms.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/...s-15133102.php

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.