Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:14 am

The case count in Singapore is rising and "imported" cases are an issue with ever tightening restrictions. The temporary transit exemption could easily be revoked at any time so I'd urge anyone wanting to fly on this flight to get on the next available departure or risk being stuck with very little options. There is no guarantee at all that it'll restart in April
wrp96 and Richardc77 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
For those still stuck in AU

American has a fare less than 1000 GBP leaving tomorrow

Option 1: Leave from MEL

MEL-(QF)-LAX-(AA)-DFW-(AA)-LHR

Option 2: Leave from SYD

SYD-(QF)-SFO-(AA)-DFW-(AA)-LHR

If you don't have a ticket and could not afford expensive QR fares, this might be an option in addition to BA. Also as sammyg901 mentioned, if you plan to fly BA, there is still the risk to be denied boarding at SYD as the Singapore Government could change their policies at any time.
wrp96 and sammyg901 like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I found a cheaper deal - LAST 5 SEATS SO ACT FAST - 617 GBP - ONLY IF YOU HAVE AN ESTA - LEAVE TOMORROW NOON

Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by aprilscot
Can anyone confirm this BA tweet?

BA15 and 16 are now zeroed out again on Experflyer from 7 April and 9 April respectively.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by boutela
BA15 and 16 are now zeroed out again on Experflyer from 7 April and 9 April respectively.
The 7th and 8th are *not* zeroed out for BA16. Please do not write things which are not confirmed. BA guidance is currently route suspension from the 9th.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:15 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
I found a cheaper deal - LAST 5 SEATS SO ACT FAST - 617 GBP - ONLY IF YOU HAVE AN ESTA - LEAVE TOMORROW NOON

Are non US citizens permitted into the US?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Are non US citizens permitted into the US?
Hi,

I think UK citizens who have not been to a specific area for 14 days are allowed in ( if you have been in the UK or Schengen in the past 14 days you will not be allowed in) but if you have been in Australia for 14 days you will be allowed ( but would check the exact requirements)

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:47 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by AdBoy
The 7th and 8th are *not* zeroed out for BA16. Please do not write things which are not confirmed. BA guidance is currently route suspension from the 9th.
That’s why I said “respectively”. Sorry if that was unclear.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
Originally Posted by AdBoy
That's what he said? BA15 from the 7th and BA16 from the 9th.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:52 am

On a side note , SQ is also mounting these gas and go flights for paxes returning to London.

On saturday (27/3), a 777-300ER perform DPS-SIN-LHR (with 2 different flight number but transit paxes stay on board at changi).

Today a A380 will perform SQ286 from AKL n then turn around as SQ322 to London with paxes remaining on board at changi.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:20 am

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
Originally Posted by boutela
That’s why I said “respectively”. Sorry if that was unclear.
Apologies! Covid brain.
boutela and lavajava like this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:11 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Originally Posted by cahillpm
Do you happen to know whether it is true or not that only UK citizens were allowed to board? My partner & I are due to fly tomorrow and then transit to Dublin on Monday....
It appears many people are quoting ‘only U.K. citizens’ but no official guidance yet.

On a side note; this thread has been up for quite some time and the threat of being stuck in a foreign country has been around for at least a month. Advice to return home immediately was issued a week ago, but you’re still out there? Whilst I’m sure you have your reasons and a large enough bank account to keep you going should you get stuck; if you want to get home start looking at flights now. It’s great to read you’ve possibly got a flight in 72 hours but that’s a very long time in this climate; for example Singapore May revoke its refuel and go approach very very quickly. All the best
Old Mar 29, 2020, 8:13 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Latest communication from British High Commission in Australia:-

Latest from the Australian Consulate for those with clients still in Australia. 29th March 2020.
Sent: 29 March 2020 13:23
Subject: Message from Vicki Treadell CMG MVO, British High Commissioner
Dear British Traveller,
You are my top priority. My whole team across Australia are focused on doing all we can to assist you through this deeply worrying time. This global event is unprecedented. The scale of the challenge is beyond anything in our recent history. It has been difficult getting the most up-to-date information out to help you make the right decisions for you and your family.
I know you want answers to your specific questions. Many of you simply want a way home and one you can afford. You want to know how we can help. Equally we need those of you who can wait a little, because you have the means to do so, to look after yourself and follow the local government advice. We can then focus our immediate effort on reaching the most vulnerable. Our ambition, nonetheless, is to ensure that everybody who needs advice or help gets it in the most appropriate way. We will keep pushing information out on our social media channels. I know many of you are frightened and uncertain and feel stranded. We may not have been able to connect yet but we are working hard on your behalf.
I would like to thank you if you have already registered on our new traveller registration platform. Some of you will be receiving this as you emailed the inbox we used previously – if so, please take the time to register on our platform here, it is the best way for us to get in touch with you. The platform was put in place to provide better communications in the light of feedback. The information you provide will allow us to communicate with you directly and build a clear understanding of the number of British travellers in Australia who need to get back home. In less than 48 hours of using this system we have received over 8,000 registrations. We are working through these now so please bear with us.
We are working tirelessly with airlines to ensure planes keep flying, as well as with the Australian Government and international partners to keep commercial routes to the UK open.
My team and I have received many thousands of enquiries over social media, the phone and email. Due to the sheer number of those enquiries we have been unable to answer each one individually, which is why have developed our FAQs. I want to assure you that we are listening, we hear you and are doing what we can to support you. I know many of you are not happy with perceived “generic” answers. However the advice in the FAQs, is the best information we have from the Australian Government, the airlines and other sources.
Our consular teams on the ground across Australia, in Canberra, Brisbane, Melbourne, Sydney and Perth are talking to British travellers daily. You can see latest updates from our Heads of Post: Michael Ward (NSW), Kirsty Packer (WA), Chris Holtby (VIC, SA & TAS), Joanne Freeman (QLD). And myself Vicki Treadell (High Commissioner).
However, please note that this is a fast-moving and changing situation so please keep an eye on our social media channels for updated information: on Twitter @UKinAustralia, on our Facebook page UK in Australia - British High Commission Canberra, or my own twitter feed: @VickiTreadell
Australian Government Guidance
Whilst you are in Australia please respect the Australian Government guidelines and restrictions that have been put in place to limit the spread of COVID-19. Follow the COVID-19 Health Alerts and key updates from the Australian Government.
Restrictions may differ by State or Territory so please also familiarise yourselves with your local State or Territory guidelines.
Flight Information – as of 29.03.20
For those of you who are wishing to leave, our priority is to work with airlines, the Australian government and international partners to keep commercial flights running and transit options open. Commercial flights remain the best way home. We understand that flights need to be affordable and have made this point strongly to the airlines, who have been taking steps to release additional lower costs fares.
Qatar: we have been working closely with Qatar to operate as many flights as possible. Over the next week they will start to operate 3 flights daily from Sydney, 2 flights daily from Melbourne, 2 flights daily from Perth, and 1 flight daily from Brisbane. This will drastically increase their capacity. Book tickets here and use the promotional code TRAVELHOME to receive up to 10% off their one-way ticket.
British Airways: BA have confirmed they will operate daily departures from Sydney to London for now. Book tickets here. If you already have a ticket then email [email protected] to get on the waiting list for earlier flights. If you have a ticket for travel before Monday please highlight this in the subject of your email.
Qantas: we are liaising with Qantas to keep flights operational. Please check our social media channels for all the latest information.
Other routes are open, though we recognise that the situation is changing rapidly. We are reaching out to other airlines to work with them to restore flights where they have stopped, to open up new routes and to encourage better pricing through competition. We know many of you would like special flights laid on. Given the huge numbers who want to return, and that there are commercial flights still operating with more in prospect, our focus for the time being is improving the commercial options and reducing costs in order to meet the volume of demand. We are also raising your concerns on refunds for cancelled flights and better information requirements from the airlines themselves.
In Country Support
Some of you may have been in Australia for some time and want to stay. Others may have to wait for a flight home.
  • Accommodation: this may be a challenge for many of you. Whilst we look at longer term solutions, we can advise that a number of businesses are offering discounts to stranded Brits. TFE hotel group is offering special rates, please see this link for details. Quest Apartments are also offering discounted rates, please see this link for details. We will continue to update you as we receive other offers. This is for your information only. The British Government does not endorse these businesses and cannot vouch for their suitability for your needs.
  • Visas: if your visa is expiring or you require further information around the visa you are currently on, please visit the Australian Department of Home Affairs website. We have been discussing your concerns on expiring visas with the Australian Department of Home Affairs. They understand your situation and are working to find a solution.
  • Medical: as a British National, you may be covered for essential and urgent medical care through a Reciprocal Healthcare Agreement that the UK Government has with Australia. You can visit a GP for standard advice and prescriptions, often with the option of distance or online services. Click here for a list of clinics and GPs that offer this service. Please note this not an official government directory. You should also check with your travel insurance to see what they cover.
My staff across our posts in Australia are working 7 days a week to help you get home. I want to thank you for your patience as we respond to the COVID-19 crisis.
Stay safe. My warmest regards,
Vicki Treadell
VICKI TREADELL CMG MVO
BRITISH HIGH COMMISSIONER
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher
It appears many people are quoting ‘only U.K. citizens’ but no official guidance yet.

On a side note; this thread has been up for quite some time and the threat of being stuck in a foreign country has been around for at least a month. Advice to return home immediately was issued a week ago, but you’re still out there? Whilst I’m sure you have your reasons and a large enough bank account to keep you going should you get stuck; if you want to get home start looking at flights now. It’s great to read you’ve possibly got a flight in 72 hours but that’s a very long time in this climate; for example Singapore May revoke its refuel and go approach very very quickly. All the best

​​​​​I leave Australia tomorrow. One airline was quoting astronomical prices which is just disgusting behaviour, some airlines have simply stopped flying, ba have had no spare seats on the past 4 flights and I don't have a large enough bank account to stay here but I'd rather stay in Australia than get stuck elsewhere at present.

Another issue I have had is the limited flights flying from, in this example, Adelaide. Had 3 flights cancelled for tomorrow with one currently still flying which we are booked on.

People seem to think catching a plane is like catching a train or a bus. It would be so much more simple if that was the case.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Wayne Kisbee
​​​​​I leave Australia tomorrow. One airline was quoting astronomical prices which is just disgusting behaviour, some airlines have simply stopped flying, BA have had no spare seats on the past 4 flights and I don't have a large enough bank account to stay here but I'd rather stay in Australia than get stuck elsewhere at present.

Another issue I have had is the limited flights flying from, in this example, Adelaide. Had 3 flights cancelled for tomorrow with one currently still flying which we are booked on.

People seem to think catching a plane is like catching a train or a bus. It would be so much more simple if that was the case.
Leaving Australia on BA, QR or another? To UK?
From ADL to xx all on one ticket?
If going via SYD you need to go from T2/T3 to T1.
Good luck.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.