Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Jesus. I feel sorry for anyone caught up in this crazy clusterflop.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:41 pm

BA 16

Thanks for the replies, very very much appreciated.

If the seat plan is looking full, will that be the travelers who had originally booked for today and yesterdays pax have to take their chances on any seats leftover.

Going by D Raab's statement, should my daughter not get a seat would it be best to stay at the airport hotel and wait for something to get sorted out or, return ( 4/5 hours drive) to her original location.

Thanks and ATB

Thanks .
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Dhan_Leno

If the seat plan is looking full, will that be the travelers who had originally booked for today and yesterdays pax have to take their chances on any seats leftover.

Going by D Raab's statement, should my daughter not get a seat would it be best to stay at the airport hotel and wait for something to get sorted out or, return ( 4/5 hours drive) to her original location.

Thanks and ATB

Thanks .
If the flight goes, anybody originally booked on today's flight will get first priority to get on the flight. Then BA will accommodate anyone from yesterday's flight that it can.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by wrp96
If the flight goes, anybody originally booked on today's flight will get first priority to get on the flight. Then BA will accommodate anyone from yesterday's flight that it can.

Thanks for the information, cheers.

I'll tell her best to get to the desk early ......Thanks again
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:06 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Dhan_Leno

Thanks and ATB

Thanks .
If your daughter needs to stay overnight in Sydney, the Rydges Hotel is immediately opposite the airport, a walk of less than 2 minutes from the BA check-in desk’s. There is availability Wednesday at about Ł92 for the night. I’ve stayed there many times, it’s a comfortable and very convenient property.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
If your daughter needs to stay overnight in Sydney, the Rydges Hotel is immediately opposite the airport, a walk of less than 2 minutes from the BA check-in desk’s. There is availability Wednesday at about Ł92 for the night. I’ve stayed there many times, it’s a comfortable and very convenient property.
Thank you for the information...I will pass it on to her. Cheers, blown away by the friendly replies.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:48 pm

So my daughter is booked on Fridays flight BA0016. I have finally got through to a lovely lady at BA. I didn't get as far as giving her the reference number. I got as far as saying she was booked all the way with BA Adelaide to Glasgow via Sydney and Heathrow. She said they are doing everything in their power to arrange a stopover elsewhere (or even possibly Singapore still) and BA would be in touch if any problems (which I don't believe given what I've read so far on this thread). Anyway she said for my daughter to get to the airport in Adelaide and start her journey. If something goes wrong in Sydney then they will do everything in their power to get her home.

This is really in the hands of the various governments and not in the hands of BA. At the moment we don't seem to have another option. She said they would even try other routes/airlines and may not be the best routes but she'd take any! I'm going to get her to do an ESTA I think incase she is re routed through USA.
Mwenenzi, ianwall and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by Sanjenni
So my daughter is booked on Fridays flight BA0016. I have finally got through to a lovely lady at BA. I didn't get as far as giving her the reference number. I got as far as saying she was booked all the way with BA Adelaide to Glasgow via Sydney and Heathrow. She said they are doing everything in their power to arrange a stopover elsewhere (or even possibly Singapore still) and BA would be in touch if any problems (which I don't believe given what I've read so far on this thread). Anyway she said for my daughter to get to the airport in Adelaide and start her journey. If something goes wrong in Sydney then they will do everything in their power to get her home.

This is really in the hands of the various governments and not in the hands of BA. At the moment we don't seem to have another option. She said they would even try other routes/airlines and may not be the best routes but she'd take any! I'm going to get her to do an ESTA I think incase she is re routed through USA.
I recommend a Canadian eTA too. CA$7 so not a big deal in these circumstances, and it seems like they are allowing transit
(Update for those reading my previous post - Air New Zealand have confirmed they can board, and can transit Canada - as per the rules on the Canadian embassy and govt websites). Remains to be seen if they actually do board (Thursday 20:05 NZ time), and are actually allowed to transit in YVR, but so far everything seems to say yes. Air NZ agent also said they had been booking many other Europeans this route home, so they seem confident (and one has to assume it's their responsibility to confirm entry or have to fly people back?)
Crampedin13A and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Apart from the Sky news link do we have actual BA conf of the special transit deal in Singapore?

Will the avios line help get us onto a flight or is the only option breaking self isolation each day to queue up to get onto the likely few remaining seats each future daily flight might have? I expect it will take many days if so to get all several hundred pax from the 24th sorted.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:10 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I imagine BA's Airport Manager for SYD will know more than anyone else so yes, go to check-in every day until your stars align. If you see LHR availability on ExpertFlyer then it would be worth a call to a Contact Centre.
wrp96 and Richardc77 like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:27 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by heartstring
I recommend a Canadian eTA too. CA$7 so not a big deal in these circumstances, and it seems like they are allowing transit
(Update for those reading my previous post - Air New Zealand have confirmed they can board, and can transit Canada - as per the rules on the Canadian embassy and govt websites). Remains to be seen if they actually do board (Thursday 20:05 NZ time), and are actually allowed to transit in YVR, but so far everything seems to say yes. Air NZ agent also said they had been booking many other Europeans this route home, so they seem confident (and one has to assume it's their responsibility to confirm entry or have to fly people back?)
NZ must be confident otherwise they are on the hook for taking them all back to NZ if refused entry.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:42 pm

Programs: QF WP
OT I suppose but, A380 in Darwin last night (discussed a little up thread due to changes to Singapore transit)

Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richardc77
Apart from the Sky news link do we have actual BA conf of the special transit deal in Singapore?

Will the avios line help get us onto a flight or is the only option breaking self isolation each day to queue up to get onto the likely few remaining seats each future daily flight might have? I expect it will take many days if so to get all several hundred pax from the 24th sorted.
We assume you do not have confirmed seats on BA16 today (25 March)
Nothing in https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm
But does have this. No idea is that was there yesterday
3. Passengers with an Approved Letter for Entry from ICA will not be subjected to the above restrictions. However, they may still be subjected to the prevailing health screening requirement upon arriving at a Singapore airport. Possession of an Approved Letter for Entry does not guarantee the issuance of a Visit Pass to enter Singapore.
Effective from 09:00 local time 27 March 2020:
I do note Australia is continuing the exemption for ex NZ transit passengers every 2 days
If today's BA16 does not take LHR passengers will be even more people wanting to get back

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW15
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW16

Edit
Does anyone know if BA15 LHR-SIN-SYD, that arrived this morning (25 March) had LHR to SYD through passengers? [seat map???]

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 24, 2020 at 3:24 pm
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

The avios line has zero info, still showing as no UK citizens allowed. If they get permission in coming days they will need to fly extra metal out to fit all the pax who have been left.

The worry is that it is all rather “Heath Robinson”. No details were taken at the airport, no emails sent, if todays doesn’t go then how do they keep up with who wants to get home. So far no email or text has come our way, to let us know anything.

The potential for virus spread of hundreds of pax going to airport and standing together and interacting with the BA staff then going back to the same or different hotels each day should be of concern to someone...
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Richardc77
The avios line has zero info, still showing as no UK citizens allowed. If they get permission in coming days they will need to fly extra metal out to fit all the pax who have been left.

The worry is that it is all rather “Heath Robinson”. No details were taken at the airport, no emails sent, if today's doesn’t go then how do they keep up with who wants to get home. So far no email or text has come our way, to let us know anything.

The potential for virus spread of hundreds of pax going to airport and standing together and interacting with the BA staff then going back to the same or different hotels each day should be of concern to someone...
You seem to be the best source if information on this. But is up to Singapore government regulators.
Does your phone work in Au?

Yesterday were pax keeping to the required 1.5m separation distance /4m˛ area? Or any enforcement? But hard in an airport
Do you have plan B [stay in Aussie]?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.