Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by sammyg901
Still seems odd that they didn't route the flight via KL for a week to me, they could have positioned up the crew from Singapore or even had a Malaysian Airlines A380 take them forward (they are no stranger to helping the CAA and the UK Govt, one of their A380s was shuttling between Manchester and Palma on Thomas Cook rescue flights)

The inbound SIN terminating passengers from LHR could be rebooked to SQ, BA11 or even be shuttled down on an Malaysian 737
Whilst I think that it is a shame that nothing has thus far been done, I think that the important thing to remember here is that these are commercial flights operated by a company, and if they were repatriation flights organised by the government then they would do anything they could to get the pax home but for the time being these are still normal commercial flights.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Whilst I think that it is a shame that nothing has thus far been done, I think that the important thing to remember here is that these are commercial flights operated by a company, and if they were repatriation flights organised by the government then they would do anything they could to get the pax home but for the time being these are still normal commercial flights.
But Qantas have already planned to or start to reroute via Darwin to solve this issue. Obviously BA has less options because of the 777-300ER range, but at the very least it has been a couple of days could they at least communicate what is happening. Right now it seems the only way to find out what is happening is via this forum!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:40 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Yes I see that now. I'm a bit surprised since you don't airside transfer in YVR (maybe this has changed since I last went through), you actually have to enter Canada. The directive would appear to be in conflict with itself.
Can't comment on YVR, but this also used to be the case at Calgary. I think it has changed with the new International terminal being built as I seem to recall there being a transit area on entering passport control. I agree it is confusing
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by APUBleed
But Qantas have already planned to or start to reroute via Darwin to solve this issue. Obviously BA has less options because of the 777-300ER range, but at the very least it has been a couple of days could they at least communicate what is happening. Right now it seems the only way to find out what is happening is via this forum!
I do not know if the QF re-route was as a result of the new SIN restrictions or not but they had been planning on avoiding doing SYD-SIN-LHR for quite a while, I think it was a few weeks ago that they announced they were stopping this routing, which is certainly not going to have been in response to the SIN transit issue.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
I do not know if the QF re-route was as a result of the new SIN restrictions or not but they had been planning on avoiding doing SYD-SIN-LHR for quite a while, I think it was a few weeks ago that they announced they were stopping this routing, which is certainly not going to have been in response to the SIN transit issue.
Yes but the plans were completely different. QF were going to change QF1/QF2 to a 787 via PER (though these plans have since been abandoned). I doubt this planning offered them much use for the Darwin A380 re-routing? They might have proactively started to plan this contingency earlier, but doesn't this just again reflect more poorly on BA for not being able to have the foresight? That said, I realise the 'Kangaroo route' is more important for Qantas and Qantas' image than BA's 15/16, which seems more like a hobby than core business.

I guess at the very least I wish they would communicate these issues or have stopped taking bookings.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: QF Gold
BA15/16 remain the most affordable ways between UK/AUS. Anyone have an update on a reroute?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:53 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Plat, Radisson Gold, EI Concierge
Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
You need a valid eTA, and that might be somewhat difficult to get if they don't already hold one. But the link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...-measures.html says that transiting passengers are OK (Look under Air Travel exemptions)

Indeed, this was what I had read on many sources - the fact that in transit to another country was ok. This is really confusing and difficult to interpret who could stop them travelling and where.

They have eTAs (in fact applied this morning UK time and approved instantly - they even added comments in to explain what they wanted to do and on what date - transit - though I suspect it was auto-approved anyway)
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sanjenni
Just spoke to daughter on the phone and told her about the flight being off loaded and only a few SIN px taken. She's asked me to contact BA to see what is happening as she is working. I can't through at all. Being told they are so busy they can't put me on hold and to try again later! Told her I don't think she should get on the Adelaide leg unless we know for sure the Sydney is definitely leaving. I've logged on to her booking and it is still showing as okay. This is so frustrating.

She is desperate to get back, she has a job lined up in the NHS and is needed. Can anyone advise me where to go next? I know the BBC has picked up the story but are government paying attention. I feel so helpless.
Originally Posted by ianwall
If your daughter isn't comfortable with being stranded in Australia for an extended period, as others have said, this is an emergency and action needs to be taken now. Any of BA's global call centres can help, but they do have varying opening hours, so have a a play with this page (https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...boutCountry=JP) to find one that's open.
My advice remains the same as Sunday, but with a few additions:
  • Stop working now. She has to own and resolve this situation herself - not offload all the burden to you, in a crisis that gets worse every day. Contacting the BBC is unlikely to help.
  • Ensure she's packed and ready to leave at a moments notice, in-case last minute availability does crop up.
  • If she doesn't already have an ESTA for the USA, get one NOW. (Processing time could be 72 hours but likely sooner). If that opens up last minute travel options via the USA, it'll be $14 well spent
  • Use my link above to contact whichever of BA's global call centres are open. You should be calling all day UK hours, and your daughter all day AUS hours.
If she can't be re-booked before travel and assuming it's one ticket from ADL-GLA, I personally think she should try to get on the ADL-SYD leg if permitted. Being "stranded" at a transit station in the middle of a trip may prioritise her for rebooking vs others that can return home. However, I'd want a more expert opinion on that as there are risks.
percysmith, wrp96 and florens like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 7:58 am

Stupid question, perhaps: isn't Tokyo an option? JL's flight for tomorrow seems to be operating and so is the London-Tokyo service.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:03 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by 13901
Stupid question, perhaps: isn't Tokyo an option? JL's flight for tomorrow seems to be operating and so is the London-Tokyo service.
It still is, my Bolivian evacuee went the other way late last week. I don't think Japan has changed on transit (unlike Hong Kong - sorry.)
13901 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:06 am

Opening up a new station like Perth or Darwin is different. Can be done, sure, but it's not something you do in a day.
All fair points mentioned before which is why I asked the question above.

If it is just stopping for a quick refuelling stop in PER/DWN with all passengers staying on board (as Qantas is doing with QF 1/2) is it really a new station, no ground facilities are required. Crewing would be the most difficult issue I’d imagine?

Could they have not rerouted through KUL where they have an established station?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:18 am

, EWR had the 787 already, so spares were available not far from there.
Ah, sorry. School for me too. That means BA 787 operations are probably FAA approved even if not CASA
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by oxfordjames
All fair points mentioned before which is why I asked the question above.

If it is just stopping for a quick refuelling stop in PER/DWN with all passengers staying on board (as Qantas is doing with QF 1/2) is it really a new station, no ground facilities are required. Crewing would be the most difficult issue I’d imagine?

Could they have not rerouted through KUL where they have an established station?
BA 787 not approved for operations in Australian airspace I think...?

That's also a reason I remember CX don't send their A350s into PRC airspace as well.
oxfordjames likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by florens
He can cancel within 24h of booking for free, though.
I thought that only worked if the flight was more than 24 hours away?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 8:46 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
This just being reported.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...Vp4mPomBKl1gTg

Although a number of inconsistencies. Amazed Singapore would agree to this...

Edit - sorry forgot FT policy in required more details:

Special flights are being set up to get Britons stranded because of the coronavirus lockdown home, the foreign secretary has announced.

Dominic Raab said Singapore had agreed to be the transit hub where people stuck in countries like Australia, New Zealand and Peru could fly through on their way back to the UK.

He also assured travellers unable to afford the cost of a plane ticket back they could get an emergency loan to cover the cost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.