Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 30, 20, 6:03 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Mwenenzi
Wiki Link
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...turn-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...turn-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 24, 20, 2:09 am
Original Poster

I can tell you from first hand experience that did not happen today, the first day since the Singapore transit decision. Tune in tomorrow for an update on day 2...

Originally Posted by Jon Baker View Post
Trying to get the inlaws back from Melbourne - being advised by UK based travel agent that BA16 is going to continue to run (currently showing well into April) but just stopping in SIN for refueling (no passenger offload).

Anyone able to confirm is this is true?

Much appreciated.
wrp96 and Jon Baker like this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:09 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Trying to get the inlaws back from Melbourne - being advised by UK based travel agent that BA16 is going to continue to run (currently showing well into April) but just stopping in SIN for refueling (no passenger offload).

Much appreciated.
It does not seem to be happening yet, but I'm sure both BA and the UK government are scrambling to work something out, given the number of people stranded in Australia and New Zealand (it appears to be 1,000s).

There were people earlier in the thread saying that they were surprised an alternative hadn't been worked out already, but they seem to be forgetting that liaising with foreign government entities, especially when public health measures are involved, can be quite time consuming.

It might take a bit longer to sort out but I suspect something will be worked out. There are apparently a lot of people caught up in Singapore transit ban, so there is an incentive to work something out, or requests for consular assistance will go through the roof from people who have run out funds.

Since most alternatives that you can book independently are very expensive and rapidly diminishing, the only available option may be to wait for a while and hope that BA, in cooperation with the British government, will work something out.

Alternatively, you could try and get on QF 1 (SYD-(DRW)-LHR) or QF 9 (PER-LHR) but last I looked at them, only full fare business class seats remained on either of the services, and the availability was disappearing already (you'll probably need to telephone Qantas to arrange for it, as booking online wasn't working out at all due to disappearing availability). There have been reports of MH flights via KUL available, so that might also be worth a look. That is, if you are in a hurry to get your in-laws back, and can afford to do so (QF flights are well over AUD 10,000 per person in business class, one way, and that is, if you can get them). If not, you might just want to wait.

We should also remember that most likely there are Australia/NZ citizens stuck in the UK and other parts of Europe, so UK/Australia/NZ might even try to negotiate something together. I am guessing something will be worked out in the end, whether it's going via elsewhere (for example, at a guess, something like refuel/crew change in KUL, for instance, or exemption from Singapore government for just refuel/crew change but no passenger drop-off or pick-up and all passengers staying on board).

Richardc77 who is active in this thread was supposed to fly SYD-LHR on BA 16 today but it didn't happen (only those who were allowed to transit or enter Singapore were allowed on, by the looks of it), and he'll be providing updates. You can keep an eye on this thread for developments.
wrp96, Jon Baker and Sanjenni like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 24, 20 at 2:45 am
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:22 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Thanks for the feedback - really helpful (and a crying shame).
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,QR Platinum,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive,Frontier 20k,All Silver,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold

Much appreciated.
QF9 is also operating. However, flights are generally fully booked. If you're able to pay a full-fare ticket for them, call QF and ask to be waitlisted. This is less risk-free.

---------

Today's BA15 would continue to SYD according to the official website of Changi Airport.
TXLFlieger likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:28 am

Just spoke to daughter on the phone and told her about the flight being off loaded and only a few SIN px taken. She's asked me to contact BA to see what is happening as she is working. I can't through at all. Being told they are so busy they can't put me on hold and to try again later! Told her I don't think she should get on the Adelaide leg unless we know for sure the Sydney is definitely leaving. I've logged on to her booking and it is still showing as okay. This is so frustrating.

She is desperate to get back, she has a job lined up in the NHS and is needed. Can anyone advise me where to go next? I know the BBC has picked up the story but are government paying attention. I feel so helpless.
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:30 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
As a member of the travel industry I've simultaneously watched travel forums full of Tour Ops sharing tidbits of info about how to get stranded Oz/NZ clients home running alongside this thread (except we're taking dozens of clients rather than 1 fairly flexible chap) - so anyone that thought you've posted useful info that was ignored, don't worry, I might have shared last seat availability you provided which has helped someone else.

Consensus there, liked here, also with BA insiders, was that BA was going to be able to run from Sydney. Now what?

Appreciate that possibly DRW-LHR may not be possible direct, but SYD-DRW-ATH-LHR or similar may be the way forward? Yes, it might take a day to re-arrange crewing, but there are far too many people stranded in Australia now for the govt to ignore. I've 2 friends stuck in WLG due back on Emirates. They've accepted they ain't going anywhere..
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:37 am

Guys, as a way of measuring situations like-for-like, how many days did it take for the Government to organise relief flights to Peru or Morocco?
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:44 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC Gold, AY+ Platinum, HH Diamond, Nordic Choice Hotels Silver, IHG Diamond Elite, Avis PP
Originally Posted by 13901 View Post
Guys, as a way of measuring situations like-for-like, how many days did it take for the Government to organise relief flights to Peru or Morocco?
I can't speak for the UK government, but it took the Swiss government about 5 days.

The difficulty for Peru is that tourists might be trapped in Cusco and therefore governments need to charter a domestic flight from Cusco to Lima as well.
Sanjenni likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by Sanjenni View Post
Just spoke to daughter on the phone and told her about the flight being off loaded and only a few SIN px taken. She's asked me to contact BA to see what is happening as she is working. I can't through at all. Being told they are so busy they can't put me on hold and to try again later! Told her I don't think she should get on the Adelaide leg unless we know for sure the Sydney is definitely leaving. I've logged on to her booking and it is still showing as okay. This is so frustrating.

She is desperate to get back, she has a job lined up in the NHS and is needed. Can anyone advise me where to go next? I know the BBC has picked up the story but are government paying attention. I feel so helpless.
Appreciate all the hard work your daughter is doing in the medical field but... she needs to stop and think about #1 - herself. And getting home.

She can leave work at any time she wants to. No one can be forced to stay in a work contract in Australia - she can walk out the door this minute if she wants to. Taking the time to find an alternative flight and way of getting home should be the top of her list... not worrying about a work. Every hour she leaves this is making it harder to get home. A couple of days ago there were flights on Thai Airways from MEL to the UK. Even today there were flights on Cathay Pacific with a transit in Hong Kong - before the transit restrictions came into effect. And those one way prices were reasonable at Ł700 given the circumstances. Those options have now gone
Silver Fox, wrp96 and Sanjenni like this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 2:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sanjenni View Post

We all appreciate your concern

All that can be done is see if BA15 arrives into SYD tomorrow morning (Wednesday 25 March) 06:45 from SIN.
And then see what happens late afternoon when BA16 when its due to leave at 16:30.
Richardc77 will no doubt give an update
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW15
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW16

Options are less every day

For reference it is now SYD time 19:48 Tuesday 24 March
wrp96 and Sanjenni like this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer View Post
QF9 is also operating. However, flights are generally fully booked. If you're able to pay a full-fare ticket for them, call QF and ask to be waitlisted. This is less risk-free.

---------

Today's BA15 would continue to SYD according to the official website of Changi Airport.
Already spoke with QF this morning, QF9 stops this Thursday (26th March) and is fully booked until then.
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi View Post
We all appreciate your concern

All that can be done is see if BA15 arrives into SYD tomorrow morning (Wednesday 25 March) 06:45 from SIN.
And then see what happens late afternoon when BA16 when its due to leave at 16:30.
Richardc77 will no doubt give an update
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW15
https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW16

Options are less every day

For reference it is now SYD time 19:48 Tuesday 24 March
In Richardc77's case he has been denied boarding by BA, it is therefore up to BA to provide a routing home and accommodation in the interim. It will take a few days for BA to organise alternative transport options, re-routing or getting crew to an intermediate point to operate the flight. Would DXB be an option, for example? If its just for SYD-LON passengers they wont need exotic freedoms, its just a technical fuel-stop and crew change. Admittedly BA have had a little prior notice that this would happen and the re-routing of QF flights to avoid SIN should have been a signal that BA weren't going to get a dispensation.

Its also worth remembering that published aircraft ranges take account of a normal commercial payload, unless there is still strong cargo demand for OZ-UK, we can assume this will be a fairly light payload and the range might be significantly longer.
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:18 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by BrianDromey View Post
In Richardc77's case he has been denied boarding by BA
He was not. Denied boarding was due to not meeting the government entry/transit requirement (i.e. Singapore government transit ban), so it is not deemed to be denied boarding by BA. It was not BA's choice.
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by BrianDromey View Post
In Richardc77's case he has been denied boarding by BA, it is therefore up to BA to provide a routing home and accommodation in the interim. It will take a few days for BA to organise alternative transport options, re-routing or getting crew to an intermediate point to operate the flight. Would DXB be an option, for example? If its just for SYD-LON passengers they wont need exotic freedoms, its just a technical fuel-stop and crew change. Admittedly BA have had a little prior notice that this would happen and the re-routing of QF flights to avoid SIN should have been a signal that BA weren't going to get a dispensation.

Its also worth remembering that published aircraft ranges take account of a normal commercial payload, unless there is still strong cargo demand for OZ-UK, we can assume this will be a fairly light payload and the range might be significantly longer.
This is not denied boarding in the EC261 sense. Boarding was denied because the passenger was not eligible to travel through the connecting airport.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 24, 20, 3:36 am

Programs: BA Blue, EI Silver, Honours Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
He was not. Denied boarding was due to not meeting the government entry/transit requirement (i.e. Singapore government transit ban), so it is not deemed to be denied boarding by BA. It was not BA's choice.
Oh! Everyday is a school day. I hadn't realised that particular case was different. Thanks for taking the time to clear that up.
adrianlondon, LTN Phobia and wrp96 like this.

Search this Thread