Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Richardc77
It’s a no go. Nobody apart from Singapore resident going on BA16 today. BA are asking for clearance to refuel and not let pax off the plane but right now.they have not got the green light. We were told they expect to be granted it but if not will look at re routes. Back to the airport for the 1pm desk opening (prior to that it’s another airlines desk).
So you're grounded in SYD for another day, and then trying tomorrow?

Hopefully BA will look first to Oneworld chum and IAG stakeholder Qatar Airways, as QR runs daily SYD-DOH-LHR flights. If they stick with Oneworld then MH and JAL would be good bets, given the CX option is out now that HKG is also transit-free.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:20 pm

There are seats bookable on Virgin Atlantic website via LAX tomorrow morning (if you've got an ESTA)
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:00 am

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
It’s a no go. Nobody apart from Singapore resident going on BA16 today.

BA are asking for clearance to refuel and not let pax off the plane but right now.they have not got the green light. We were told they expect to be granted it but if not will look at re routes.

Back to the airport for the 1pm desk opening (prior to that it’s another airlines desk).
Thank you for posting an update. For me, this thread is a welcome change from working from home whilst also educating / entertaining kids at the same time. I need to know what happens! Good luck and I hope you get your desired outcome!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
It’s a no go. Nobody apart from Singapore resident going on BA16 today.
I'm curious how all this went down. Was there any notification prior to going to the airport? Or were non eligible pax at the airport, checked in and ready to go before being off-loaded...air-side?

It doesn't seem wise to be pulling people out of self isolation into a busy public space only to send them back to, presumably, a hotel.
djsflynn likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:23 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
Thailand requires transiting passengers to produce a medical certificate saying they do not have COVID-19. That cannot be obtained as no doctor in the Australia or the UK is going to use a test on an apparently healthy person.
Yes but unlike what BA is finding in SIN (preliminary), BR has received second freedom rights from BKK:

Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:29 am
Original Poster

Zero notification and many people in tears, especially quite a few young female backpackers. Yes out of self iso back to another different airport hotel. Not ideal but told we have to repeat daily to see what they can do.

I'm curious how all this went down. Was there any notification prior to going to the airport? Or were non eligible pax at the airport, checked in and ready to go before being off-loaded...air-side? We were there 3 hours before flight and they said no point waiting around as it’s not going with UK pax

It doesn't seem wise to be pulling people out of self isolation into a busy public space only to send them back to, presumably, a hotel.

Last edited by Richardc77; Mar 24, 2020 at 12:35 am
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:30 am

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by percysmith
Yes but unlike what BA is finding in SIN (preliminary), BR has received second freedom rights from BKK:

https://twitter.com/RichardBarrow/st...14347867504640
If that includes flight and cabin crew, then logistically, that probably isn't too big an ask for BR on an ex TPE flight. Different story for BA ex SYD though.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:32 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Confirmation email from Thai regarding no-go on Bangkok transits.

Dear Customer,

The Government of Thailand advised us last night that all foreign citizens transiting through or landing in the Kingdom of Thailand must have a COVID-19 lab test and a minimum of US$100,000 medical insurance covering COVID-19 virus.

If you are not in possession of both of the above, you cannot be accepted on any flight to or through Bangkok.

For more details please visit thaiairways.com

Thai Airways International Sydney
LTN Phobia and Tobias-UK like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:45 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Zero notification and many people in tears, especially quite a few young female backpackers. Yes out of self iso back to another different airport hotel. Not ideal but told we have to repeat daily to see what they can do.
Ouch!!
Old Mar 24, 2020, 12:47 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
If that includes flight and cabin crew, then logistically, that probably isn't too big an ask for BR on an ex TPE flight. Different story for BA ex SYD though.
From replies to Richard Barrow's tweet, pax can still get on BR67 TPE-BKK-LHR in BKK.

I trust BR did not fly a plane from TPE just to service BKK-LHR. Richard Barrow himself said "no-one is allowed off". Of course he's not the airline nor Thai CAA.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:11 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
BBC has picked up the story of people stuck in Australia & NZ: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52013572
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
This story would get more interesting every day. As I assume from this post, the OP had decided to wait until BA provides help.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
This story would get more interesting every day. As I assume from this post, the OP had decided to wait until BA provides help.
No other scenario possible, flights i’ve looked at recently do not look like they will actually get us home without potential issues.

We will see what happens tomorrow. I think the BA15 from UK which is en route to Singapore will not carry on to Sydney although the official at the airport said it 100% will do. Let’s see...
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:57 am

I'm curious how all this went down. Was there any notification prior to going to the airport? Or were non eligible pax at the airport, checked in and ready to go before being off-loaded...air-side? It doesn't seem wise to be pulling people out of self isolation into a busy public space only to send them back to, presumably, a hotel.
Indeed. And on top of that the time and cost and 'stress' of checking out and getting to the airport only to have all that go down, and then have to go back to the hotel and pay a walk-up rate for one more night. Airlines always want your email address and phone number as a contact, and you'd like to have thought that this is a time when they'd use it... unless BA was waiting up until the very last minute (eg SYD checkin cut-off) to hear back from SIN in case dispensation had been granted for keeping passengers on board during the refuel.
Silver Fox and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: Complete Pleb, former BAEC Gold, former MH Silver
Trying to get the inlaws back from Melbourne - being advised by UK based travel agent that BA16 is going to continue to run (currently showing well into April) but just stopping in SIN for refueling (no passenger offload).

Anyone able to confirm is this is true?

Much appreciated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.