Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:38 pm

Hot air balloon or boat are suddenly looking like viable options.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: BA
Re Post 434 I have just had exactly the same message for a flight to Malaga this weekend. We had already been informed by email that the BA Holiday (we booked flight and car) has been cancelled and a full refund will follow. I think the message quoted in 434 may be an automated message set up before the recent developments.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Eagle19
Re Post 434 I have just had exactly the same message for a flight to Malaga this weekend. We had already been informed by email that the BA Holiday (we booked flight and car) has been cancelled and a full refund will follow. I think the message quoted in 434 may be an automated message set up before the recent developments.
Please see here for full discussion about this: Covid-19 : changes to on-board meal / food / beverage service
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:46 pm

Programs: Flying: VA; Buying: AA, AS, AV, BA, UA!
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer
I suspect that also. Perhaps it might be better to ride out the lockdowns in a nice apartment with harbour views?
That nice apartment typically sells at about A$1000 per night if I'm not mistaken.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:48 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by wheresmybagba
That nice apartment typically sells at about A$1000 per night if I'm not mistaken.
If you sign up for a month, it might come down a bit. I can't see the situation getting better in less than a couple of months though. I hope the OP has good access to funds.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

£150 a night for very nice luxury apartments at the moment, via Airbnb or just hotels direct. £75 would also get very nice hotel room.

QUOTE=wheresmybagba;32223846]That nice apartment typically sells at about A$1000 per night if I'm not mistaken.[/QUOTE]
wrp96 and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Accor Brighton, near SYD airport, has 40% off for 14 days or more.
A lot of spare hotel rooms, but fully equipped Airnb will be more in demand
on topic
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Originally Posted by Richardc77
£150 a night for very nice luxury apartments at the moment, via Airbnb or just hotels direct. £75 would also get very nice hotel room.

QUOTE=wheresmybagba;32223846]That nice apartment typically sells at about A$1000 per night if I'm not mistaken.
[/QUOTE]

To be honest mate, I would switch places with you right now if I could.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Richardc77
£150 a night for very nice luxury apartments at the moment, via Airbnb or just hotels direct.
I'm giving up hope on Richie here: too stingy to fork out £2k a week ago for 2 flights on QR and ride out the lockdown from the comfort of his home, yet nonchalant about forking out £2k on Airbnb for what could be a minimum 2 weeks in a foreign country...
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by RafKa
I'm giving up hope on Richie here: too stingy to fork out £2k a week ago for 2 flights on QR and ride out the lockdown from the comfort of his home, yet nonchalant about forking out £2k on Airbnb for what could be a minimum 2 weeks in a foreign country...
Plus he lost the option of flying MH or UA ( via SFO ) for GBP 1.5k today despite the warning of numerous FT members.
MHendo84 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

😂 it was never about being stingy, mostly about finishing the end of our holiday with our best friends who we’d not seen in 5yrs. We also have a reasonably flexible life.

adrianlondon and The_Bouncer like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Given travel options, probably more like four to six weeks.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I'm expecting it to last a lot longer than 2 weeks. More like 2 months, or longer.

I expect most of Australia will be in a lockdown by the end of the week, or next week at the latest, and lasting at the very least 3 weeks.

Airlines won't start flying until a lot of the travel restrictions have been lifted (otherwise, it won't be viable to fly), so it could be even longer.

QF for instance is grounding all their international flights until at least 31 May 2020. They wouldn't say that if they were expecting to be able to resume some kind of operations before that. https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...k-changes.html
Crampedin13A and wilsnunn like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
2 pax 2220 GBP ( total price ) - If you have ESTA - Leave Tomorrow - One of the last cheap opportunities

Gotogate sells this combination. ( Sorry the SS is in Turkish but it's understandable )

Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:31 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Maybe I'm being pessimistic but I'm expecting it to last a lot longer than 2 weeks. More like 2 months, or longer.

I expect most of Australia will be in a lockdown by the end of the week, or next week at the latest, and lasting at the very least 3 weeks.

Airlines won't start flying until a lot of the travel restrictions have been lifted (otherwise, it won't be viable to fly), so it could be even longer.

QF for instance is grounding all their international flights until at least 31 May 2020. They wouldn't say that if they were expecting to be able to resume some kind of operations before that. https://www.qantas.com/au/en/travel-...k-changes.html
Only NSW, Vic & ACT not closed their state borders, all of the others have or are about to. Can’t see any movement on this for a good few weeks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.