Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 25, 2020, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
BA rebooking to QR as post 1225 in "BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice" thread

BA have released a guideline for rebooking cancelled services onto QR services that are still operating:
Published today (30-Mar-2020) at 5:26pm
Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA flight is now CANCELLED
Rebook onto: Qatar Airways
Routes/Airports affected: Any cancelled British Airways service where QR also operate the route via DOH, e.g. SYD-LHR rebook onto SYD-DOH-LHR
Tickets issued by: 28 March 2020
Ticket travel dates: 29 March – 30 June 2020
New travel dates: Up to and including 30 June 2020
<snip>
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

BA16 SYD-SIN-LHR May be others
24 March Tuesday
BA16 did not allow LHR passengers to board, due to Singapore no transit rule enacted 23:59 23-03-2020
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

25 March Wednesday
BA16 did not allow passengers to board. Flight delayed 24 hrs
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77

Navylad_freind x 3

26 March Thursday
BA16 SIN transit exemption granted late 25/03/20 as post 664
2 flights scheduled BA16D 16:30 & BA16 18:30 Both left late
Richardc77
Mrs Richardc77
I Claudius
I Claudius_+1
Navylad_freind x 3

27 March Friday
Sanjenni_daughter ADL-SYD-SIN-LHR-GLA

28 March Saturday
?

29 March Sunday
WesSnipes MEL-SYD-SIN-LHR
flyo MEL-SYD, SYD-SIN-LHR
cahillpm SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB
cahillpm_+1 SYD-SIN-LHR-DUB

30 March Monday
?

31 March Tuesday
Wayne Kisbee ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR
Wayne Kisbee_+1 ADL-SYD(JQ), SYD-SIN-LHR

to

9 April Thursday
Last flight BA to LHR as post 866 and 902
Post 902 link--> https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/australia/return-to-the-uk

Print Wikipost

Stuck in Australia or NZ - What are the options? etc (combined thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by LCY8737
So where is the next update? This thread is the most excitement I'm getting in between working from home and not travelling! Has OP made it to Oz in time? Stranded with the Kiwis? Attempting to swim back via Fiji?
Probably chucked a couple of days extra on top to go to Antarctica, as might as well, it’s just “over there..” probably won’t get much data signal there though 😬
LCY8737, Silver Fox, RafKa and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:57 am
Ambassador, Hong Kong and Macau

Programs: Non-top tier Asia Miles member
(QR paid Y tix) still have time. OP needs to make up his mind whether to stay or go. This isn't even nail-biting.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:11 pm

Programs: Seniors Bus Pass
Well the OP was online at 6.59pm this evening ... but he has not updated us. However I suspect he is not coming back via Australia so will probably be searching for a few dwindling options or planning for an extended holiday in NZ.

Isn't this exciting!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AdamUK
Probably chucked a couple of days extra on top to go to Antarctica, as might as well, it’s just “over there..” probably won’t get much data signal there though 😬
Always wanted to go there 😉

More definitive news when I have it to share, but all is calm on the western front... 🇳🇿 🇦🇺 🇬🇧
Mwenenzi and adrianlondon like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by antichef
Well the OP was online at 6.59pm this evening ... but he has not updated us. However I suspect he is not coming back via Australia so will probably be searching for a few dwindling options or planning for an extended holiday in NZ.

Isn't this exciting!
OP is on line (blue light). Time in Auckland is 09:16 Friday 20 March

Air NZ had AKL-SYD flights today
07:00 - 08:40
09:00 - 10:35
16:20 - 17:55 (seats were not for sale last night)

Originally Posted by Richardc77
Apologies people, data on spark card is critical low back in land of wifi now. I know you will say we are crazy but went camping with Auckland friends on Waiheke and doing some wine tours, just so we support the local businesses We have settled on the foolhardy tactic of waiting for our BA flight on Tuesday, and if it all goes Pete Tong we will stay in Auckland with our friends in Devonport. Worse things, right?
OP may have to go camping for a long time
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
The way I see it, you essentially have four options:

1. Fly to SYD now. You will be in quarantine until your BA flight - if it flies. The risk is getting stuck in SYD.

2. Stay in AKL until nearer to your BA flight, then fly to SYD. No quarantine (maybe one night), but you risk getting stuck in AKL. Also a small risk of a short notice cancellation of the BA flight.

3. Fly straight back to the UK, by any available route (constrained obviously by which countries you are allowed to transit). This will cost money and there is a small chance of getting stuck at a transit point.

4. Give it up, crack open a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, and settle down in NZ until this situation is over. This is an indefinite period of time.
Crampedin13A and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:57 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Perhaps we can crowdfund and turn this into a straight-to-TV movie. Otherwise anyone know someone from Netflix?

OP: your Spark travel SIM can easily be converted to a regular pay as you go SIM. It looks like you may need the extra data to go through the next few months in NZ.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by The_Bouncer

1. Fly to SYD now. You will be in quarantine until your BA flight - if it flies. The risk is getting stuck in SYD.

2. Stay in AKL until nearer to your BA flight, then fly to SYD. No quarantine (maybe one night), but you risk getting stuck in AKL. Also a small risk of a short notice cancellation of the BA flight.

3. Fly straight back to the UK, by any available route (constrained obviously by which countries you are allowed to transit). This will cost money and there is a small chance of getting stuck at a transit point.

4. Give it up, crack open a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, and settle down in NZ until this situation is over. This is an indefinite period of time.
How long can you stay in NZ as a visitor from the UK? In normal times that is? 90 days perhaps?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
How long can you stay in NZ as a visitor from the UK?
In normal times:
VisasYou don’t need a visa to enter New Zealand as a visitor for up to 6 months, but you will need to get a New Zealand Electronic Travel Authority (NZeTA)before you travel.

The NZeTA costs NZD $9 if applying via the dedicated mobile app, or NZD $12 if completed online. You will also need to pay an International Visitor Conservation and Tourism Levy (IVL) of NZD $35 when you apply. Once issued, the NZeTA is valid for up to two years. The New Zealand immigration authorities recommend that applicants allow up to 72 hours for processing.

On arrival in New Zealand, you will also need to satisfy the Immigration Officer that you meet the criteria for visa-free entry, which includes having an onward ticket and sufficient funds to support you during your stay. You can check the full criteria on the New Zealand Immigration website.

Holders of valid New Zealand visas (both resident and temporary) will continue to be able to enter New Zealand without a NZeTA.

New Zealand’s immigration rules are strict, particularly regarding employment. Visitors cannot work in New Zealand.

For more information about visas, visit the New Zealand Immigration websiteor contact the nearest New Zealand High Commission.
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-ad...y-requirements
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Well hopefully for the world's sake that 6 months won't be needed by the OP
Silver Fox and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Crampedin13A; Mar 19, 2020 at 4:28 pm
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

(1) getting on one of the last flights to Australia that arrives before 21:00 may be hard
(2) Australia is not permitting non-residents/non-citizens into the country, so pretty much no chance of being able to board the flight
(3) seems the most sensible approach
(4) seems a strange choice

The OP started thread about being stuch in NZ and wanting help - the actions of the OP suggest that no help was wanted at all
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, BAEC, Alaska, Flying Blue, United, IHG, Hilton
Just a point - I am assuming that the OP and family are UK Citizens?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:25 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
This is one of the most bizarre threads ever. Who asks for urgent help, then disappears camping without an apparent care whilst the world crashes and burns?
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
This is one of the most bizarre threads ever. Who asks for urgent help, then disappears camping without an apparent care whilst the world crashes and burns?
In a pandemic being content to spend possibly months in a foreign country with a very shaky claim to extended medical coverage would not have been my choice. I've been stranded a few times over the last 45 years of heavy travelling but money could always get me out of trouble if needed. This situation no amount of money will help if you get stuck with borders closed everywhere to you
Old Mar 19, 2020, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We’re UK residents (virus free!) in NZ and have flights from Auckland to Sydney next Weds via ANZ then flight out of Sydney with BA 5 days later via 241...the rules for self-isolation in Aus are mighty low on specific details but we don't want to get there to spend 4 days in a hotel room......
More definitive news when I have it to share, but all is calm on the western front... 🇳🇿 🇦🇺 🇬🇧
Just a point - I am assuming that the OP and family are UK Citizens?
The passports held by Mr & Mrs OP has not been disclosed that I can see. So may be a factor.
Will be a good story for the pub.

Is an interesting thread~topic
Crampedin13A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.