Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 : Where will BA park their planes?

Covid-19 : Where will BA park their planes?

Hide Wikipost
Old Apr 8, 21, 11:04 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Scotflyer80
Wiki Link
Storage

The following aircraft are currently in storage.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
BA Mainline

Cardiff (6): (Some aircraft are also receiving maintenance)

B777-200ER: G-VIIA/G-VIIE/G-VIIL/G-VIIY/YMMO

B777-300ER: G-STBB

Doha (3):

A380: G-XLED/G-XLEE/G-XLEJ

Glasgow (5): (Some aircraft are also receiving maintenance)

A319: G-DBCC/G-DBCF/G-EUPO

A320: G-EUUN/G-EUUS

London Gatwick (38):

A319: G-DBCA/G-DBCB/G-DBCG/G-DBCH/G-EUOE/G-EUPD/G-EUPG/G-EUPK/G-EUPN/G-EUPP/G-EUPR/G-EUPW/G-EUPY/G-EUPZ

A320: G-EUUC/G-EUUD/G-EUUE/G-EUUG/G-EUUH/G-EUUI/G-EUUJ/G-EUUK/G-EUUL/G-EUUO/G-EUUT/G-EUUV/G-EUUY/G-EUUZ/G-EUYA/G-EUYG/G-EUYH/G-EUYK/G-EUYL/G-EUYM/G-EUYT/G-EUYU/G-EUYY/G-GATU/G-MIDS/G-TTOB/G-TTOE

London Heathrow (5):

A319: G-EUPA/G-EUPB/G-EUPC/G-EUPF/G-EUPH

Madrid (41):

A319: G-EUOF

A320: G-EUYD/G-EUYF/G-GATH/G-GATJ/G-GATK/G-GATL/G-GATM/G-GATN/G-GATP/G-GATR/G-GATS/G-MEDK/G-MIDO/G-MIDT/G-MIDX/G-MIDY

A321: G-EUXC/G-EUXD/G-EUXE/G-EUXF/G-EUXG/G-EUXH/G-EUXI/G-EUXJ/G-EUXK/G-EUXL/G-EUXM/G-MEDF/G-MEDG/G-MEDJ/G-MEDL/G-MEDM/G-MEDN/G-MEDU

A380: G-XLEF/G-XLEG/G-XLEH/G-XLEI/G-XLEK/G-XLEL

Palma (10):

A319: G-DBCK/G-EUPS

A320: G-EUUM/G-EUUR/G-EUUU/G-EUYC/G-EUYJ/G-EUYP/G-EUYW/G-EUYX

Teruel (3):

A380: G-XLEA/G-XLEB/G-XLEC

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
BA Cityflyer

London City (1):

E190:G-LCYZ

Norwich (17):

E170: G-LCYH/G-LCYI

E190: G-LCAA/G-LCAB/G-LCAC/G-CLAD/G-LCAE/G-LCAF/G-LCYK/G-LCYN/G-LCYP/G-LCYR/G-LCYS/G-LCYT/G-LCYU/G-LCYV/G-LCYY
Print Wikipost

Old Jan 19, 21, 5:04 am

G-EUYP, G-EUYS, G-EUYJ and G-EUYC are currently positioning to PMI.
Old Jan 19, 21, 1:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by TheMan123 View Post
G-EUYP, G-EUYS, G-EUYJ and G-EUYC are currently positioning to PMI.
It appears more than this went today according to FR24 data. It is showing the following BA aircraft on the ground having arrived today:

A319痴 G-EUPS and G-DBCK
A320痴 G-EUUM/R, G-EUYC/J/P/S/W/X
TheMan123 likes this.

Last edited by SHT88T; Jan 19, 21 at 7:23 pm
Old Feb 23, 21, 10:14 am

A380 G-XLEF just flew over my house in sunny south London. I did a double take when I saw it! Just back for LHR maintenance perhaps?
Old Feb 23, 21, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by smiles in the aisles View Post
A380 G-XLEF just flew over my house in sunny south London. I did a double take when I saw it! Just back for LHR maintenance perhaps?
If she is, and if others will therefore follow, the last movements of the fleet were on the following dates to the following storage locations:

G-XLEF 11.11.2020 MAD
G-XLEG 12.11.2020 MAD
G-XLEI 13.11.2020 MAD
G-XLEA 20.11.2020 TEV
G-XLEB 20.11.2020 TEV
G-XLEL 21.11.2020 MAD
G-XLEK 01.12.2020 MAD
G-XLEC 03.12.2020 TEV
G-XLED 16.12.2020 DOH
G-XLEJ 16.12.2020 DOH
G-XLEE 17.12.2020 DOH
G-XLEH 21.12.2020 MAD
fartoomanyusers likes this.
Old Feb 27, 21, 4:22 pm

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
G-XLEF

I cycled out to LHR this afternoon to have a look at G-XLEF

She's parked up in the same place the A380s were in the Summer - near the Enfield Road Roundabout

Old Mar 25, 21, 6:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
While ideally looking at Google Maps of Newquay airport ahead of the G7 (UK Gov't providing 7.8M for 'upgrades' to facilitate the different aircraft types expected), I (virtually) wondered over to LHR - not a plane in sight! Of course, the date of the image is unknown precisely (ignore the May date in the middle - that's for my next flight). The copyright date is 2021, but I suspect it would have been 2020. But no planes at the gates, parked up or on the runway. Thinking about it there must have been some image editing?

Old Mar 25, 21, 6:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by CKBA View Post
While ideally looking at Google Maps of Newquay airport ahead of the G7 (UK Gov't providing 7.8M for 'upgrades' to facilitate the different aircraft types expected), I (virtually) wondered over to LHR - not a plane in sight! Of course, the date of the image is unknown precisely (ignore the May date in the middle - that's for my next flight). The copyright date is 2021, but I suspect it would have been 2020. But no planes at the gates, parked up or on the runway. Thinking about it there must have been some image editing?

Over the last few years, Google maps have started editing out planes on satellite images. This is definitely another case of this because LHR would never have no planes on the ground.
Old Mar 25, 21, 7:01 am

Programs: BA GfL (GGL/CCR)

It is an edit Google Earth apparently do these days with airports. Looking at Dublin airport it is blanked out as well with no planes at all in sight - even though we know airports were used to park up a lot of planes during the past year. Funny enough my version of google maps shows planes visible at LHR - so not sure how the imagery works in relation to scrubbing the planes from the satellite pictures.

Pilot37
Old Mar 25, 21, 7:03 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
I (virtually) wondered over to LHR - not a plane in sight! Of course, the date of the image is unknown precisely (ignore the May date in the middle - that's for my next flight). The copyright date is 2021, but I suspect it would have been 2020. But no planes at the gates, parked up or on the runway. Thinking about it there must have been some image editing?
It looks like a composite - there's no cars either.
Using Google Earth you can swap to photographs - the most recent of Heathrow is May 2020

Heathrow 4th May 2020 using Google Earth
Old Mar 25, 21, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by fartoomanyusers View Post
It looks like a composite - there's no cars either.
Using Google Earth you can swap to photographs - the most recent of Heathrow is May 2020

Heathrow 4th May 2020 using Google Earth
Google Earth uses the US date format so that is actually 5th April 2020.
Old Mar 25, 21, 11:16 am

Programs: KLM Flying Blue Platinum for Life.. BA Gold , oh and some other shiny bits of plastic ...
There is one plane on the google map of Heathrow .... bottom right ... Concorde !
gliderpilot likes this.
Old Mar 25, 21, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by psollitt View Post
There is one plane on the google map of Heathrow .... bottom right ... Concorde !
Good that Google's showing some respect!

There are plenty of aircraft visible on the 2D "satellite" Google Map. It looks to me like it's just the 3D/globe view that has had the editing done. And quite a bit of work must have gone into it, because every stand seems to show the underlying paving even where it's irregularly patterned.
Old Mar 25, 21, 11:28 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold
Gatwick makes an interesting view. Load of BA aircraft parked on the left, and one EasyJet aircraft more or less in the middle. Nothing at the gates though....

Old Mar 25, 21, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by psollitt View Post
Probably a result of the photos undergoing AI-analysis (or the equivalent AS = artificial stupidity) where an aircraft has a big wing up front and a small one at the back. Clearly Concorde does not confirm to the AI's model of an aircraft!
Old Mar 25, 21, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Probably a result of the photos undergoing AI-analysis (or the equivalent AS = artificial stupidity) where an aircraft has a big wing up front and a small one at the back. Clearly Concorde does not confirm to the AI's model of an aircraft!
More likely the AI looks as lots of photos and sees what changes - Concorde does not change / move much if at all and is left alone. Same goes for building, roads etc. Planes, cars and so do, then the system simply switches out the pixels in that area to what ever is the most common in the photos - result empty airports, road, etc.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: