Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
1) Normally MCT and other factors take a few days to kick in. In this scenario I would leave it until around 26 May 2020 before looking at this again.
2) Reaccom tends to fail totally if there is no simple route replacement, when a human would more obviously suggest MAN-LHR-PHL. So you can ring up in say September and either get a re-route or a full refund, assuming this was booked on BA.com or via BA's contact centres.
was booked by BAs German call center in Bremen.

i think about calling MOnday about both trips. the fares for late 2020 ex TXL are quite good at the moment.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:34 am
Formerly ItalyBAGold

Hi All,

I have searched the thread but could not find the answer..

BA have cancelled an OB (OnBusiness) booking I had for May. However, the OB points used to make the booking expired on 31/12/2019 (bookings can be made for the following 12 months).

Anyone has any idea how to go about this please? Do I request a voucher, or ask for a refund? If the latter, what would happen to the OB points?

Thanks for any insights.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by ItalyBAGold
Hi All,

I have searched the thread but could not find the answer..

BA have cancelled an OB (OnBusiness) booking I had for May. However, the OB points used to make the booking expired on 31/12/2019 (bookings can be made for the following 12 months).

Anyone has any idea how to go about this please? Do I request a voucher, or ask for a refund? If the latter, what would happen to the OB points?

Thanks for any insights.
Call OB and ask for a refund, they'll then re-issue the points with an expiry of 31/12/2020. I've had this done just recently.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 7:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jaro
I have just received a travel voucher from BA but it mentions you need to call BA over phone, which incurs 10 pounds fee - should not this be waived in lieu of the circumstances?
it is waived as it is with any booking that can't be done online
cjb666 and jaro like this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by KARFA
if you go in to your my evouchers list on your BAEC page what is the expiry date of the vouchers?
they still show as used but the expiry date has been changed to June 2021
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:14 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jamesjebell
they still show as used but the expiry date has been changed to June 2021
ok so i think it is just waiting for some intervention by an agent to make it unused again. i would give it a week or so and perhaps chase if it doesn't show up
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Looking for some advice concerning an ex-EU (from Paris) booked in July. The journey is CDG-LHR-MIA; MIA - CDG. I have positioning flights booked outside of this booking, but let's ignore those for now.

My return leg (MIA-CDG) is AA metal booked under a BA flight code. I've just been informed the flight is cancelled. I can amend my booking to select a connecting flight to CDG, but just wondered if I could be rerouted to LHR if I were to phone up. If yes, would there be a charge for this?

I am reluctant to call to be honest as I appreciate that the call centre will be overrun, so may take the connection, but just wanted to check on here first. At any rate there's a high chance this will all be canned anyway.

The positioning flights may need some work but I am less worried about those currently. I can work round those if needed.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold Guest List
Originally Posted by KARFA
ok so i think it is just waiting for some intervention by an agent to make it unused again. i would give it a week or so and perhaps chase if it doesn't show up
thanks, will keep an eye on it
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Bohinjska Bistrica
My return leg (MIA-CDG) is AA metal booked under a BA flight code. I've just been informed the flight is cancelled. I can amend my booking to select a connecting flight to CDG, but just wondered if I could be rerouted to LHR if I were to phone up. If yes, would there be a charge for this?
Yes you could re-route via LHR or a number of other places if you wish, it will need a phone call. I would do this in mid June (while keep an eye on passenger loads for the alternative services) since you are more likely to have a clearer view on what services will operate. Doing anything now is a waste of everyone's time. There won't be a charge for this, so long as the rebooked travel is -3 days to +14 days of the original booking.
Bohinjska Bistrica likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:13 am
Formerly ItalyBAGold

Originally Posted by flashware
Call OB and ask for a refund, they'll then re-issue the points with an expiry of 31/12/2020. I've had this done just recently.
Many thanks.
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Yes you could re-route via LHR or a number of other places if you wish, it will need a phone call. I would do this in mid June (while keep an eye on passenger loads for the alternative services) since you are more likely to have a clearer view on what services will operate. Doing anything now is a waste of everyone's time. There won't be a charge for this, so long as the rebooked travel is -3 days to +14 days of the original booking.
Thank you.

The rebooked travel will be on the same date as the cancelled inbound. It would definitely be LHR as it's the closest airport to home. Happy to go via CDG if need be, but looking to see if I can make life a bit easier!

At the moment the 17.05 from. MIA (assuming it flies) is the best option so will keep an eye out on the passenger loading.

I'll keep the situation under review and see where we get to. Will leave the booking as is for now in MMB.

​​
Old Apr 5, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: Baec
Originally Posted by thinkingallowed
I made a booking for a couple of friends that has been cancelled. Can I use the BAEC Gold line to deal with this as I'm a member but the people on the tickets are not?
Yes, but I don't think it's making a difference since it's a single queue at the moment, no matter where you enter the system, excepting those who can use Didsbury. They presumably will revert back to the different queues once India is back online but there is no immediate sign of that.
Just tried calling on the BAEC Gold line and after a few button pushes I was through to a very nice lady who dealt with the refund quickly. Five minutes from start to finish .

Time, around 7pm UK time on a Sunday evening.

Just checked the credit card 49 hrs later and the money has been returned. I'm impressed, thanks BA.

Last edited by thinkingallowed; Apr 7, 2020 at 1:10 am
Old Apr 5, 2020, 8:00 pm

Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has had experience with canceling the return leg of a flight?

I purchased, via BA Holidays, a LHR-USA RT flight on AA metal but with BA flight numbers (and a car rental). The outbound to the US has been flown, the inbound is in May on a flight that AA has canceled. BA metal is still operating that route on that day, albeit at a different time of day.

My preference is: cash refund > voucher refund > rebooking to -3/+14 days away. Does anyone know which option(s) BA are likely to offer? If a refund, what is the amount likely to be - 50% or some other amount?

Thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2020, 12:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Agneisse
My preference is: cash refund > voucher refund > rebooking to -3/+14 days away. Does anyone know which option(s) BA are likely to offer? If a refund, what is the amount likely to be - 50% or some other amount?
You should get an involuntary fare refund if you want it, It's not usually 50% of what you paid, it's usually nearer 40% of the flight component. This is because the (typically) more expensive of the two sectors, LHR-USA, has been flown already. But currently you would need to call up for that, it will definitely be a manual recalculation and almost certainly will take a number of weeks to be refunded. You don't have a voucher option, but you do have the rebooking option. You best try to find a flight in the same fare bucket, and this is likely to be the best value outcome overall. It can of course be for many months away from now. If you rebook to -3/+14 days then there shouldn't be any extra cost, over 14 days there could be.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, various hotels
I booked 2 return flights to PHX departing Oct 7th on the BA website, but flying on AA195. I checked the booking on the AA website and it shows the flight is running and that i am booked on it. October 7th is the first day that the PHX flight has been reinstated.
BA have sent me an email stating the flight is cancelled.
I phoned BA and they have stated that the flight is cancelled, they also confirmed that the afternoon flight BA289 is running. I asked that if necessary could i be moved onto that, but they have said i would have to ring AA, even though i made the booking on their website.
I appreciate this is months away and am going to sit on it for a while to see how things shake out, but if i do need to call, who should i ring AA or BA?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.