Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:49 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by jrobin
I have three refund/voucher issues and am unclear about options for proceeding.
Any assistance with any parts of my questions would be appreciated.
As phone lines are hard to get through on, knowing who to phone for what would be helpful.
I have three cancellations to deal with.
1. Jrobin flights
YYZ-LHR-BCN-LHR-YYZ all BA flights booked online with AA (001 ticket), YYZ-LHR-BCN (N class) flown Feb 11; return booked March 31 BCN-LHR-YYZ (S-class).
Booked flight BA 485 BCN-LHR March 31 has been cancelled. I would prefer refund over voucher or flight change for entire return trip.
(a) will BA provide refund? or only a voucher?
(b) how can I estimate the amount of the refund/voucher? (Is the return half of a RT booking essentially valueless?) Is any EC261 compensation applicable? Is any Canada Transportation Agency compensation applicable?
(c) If only a voucher is an option, should I just apply for a voucher on BA's Manage My Booking or should I contact AA?

2. Mrs Jrobin flights
YYZ-LHR-BCN-LHR-YYZ all BA flights booked online with travel agency (001 ticket), YYZ-LHR-BCN (N class) flown Feb 11; return booked March 31 BCN-LHR-YYZ (S-class).
For some reason Manage My Booking on BA states that all flights have been flown.
Again I would prefer refund over voucher or flight change for entire return trip.
Should I contact BA, AA, or the travel agent? (Does BA take over a booking once one segment has been flown?

3. Mrs Jrobin Seat Selection Fees
Paid directly to BA.
How do I get those for the return refunded? Or will I only get a voucher? How do I proceed? (Telephone?)

Thank you in advance
As these are AA tickets you really need to discuss any refund options with AA - there should be a thread on the AA board which can provide some help. For the one booked via a TA you need to deal with the TA - but theoretically they should provide the same options AA would provide for your direct booking.

In terms of the seat selection fees you do need to deal with BA, there is some information here on when you can get a refund https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...es-and-refunds

and the form is here https://www.britishairways.com/trave...ing_claim_form
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:50 am

I just called BA to refund an Avios flight booking that had been cancelled. I also tried first on BA.com, but I also just got the page where I was told to call them. I then called BA (2 min waiting time) and they told me they had deactivated the possibility for cash refund. So it seems only way is to call now to have a cash refund of a cancelled ticket?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by StingWest
Yes, thanks! When I went to Manage My Booking today, instead of the usual screens (including the Red button you mention), it goes to a "Sorry, cancelled ...etc" screen. The buttons to Cancel or Change are clear (not red), and pressing them goes to the Voucher page, no matter what the state of Javascript is. I think they really like don't to refund money haha!

As suggested above, I can always use the manual refund form, but by the looks of it, that one would go right to the bottom of the pile, sort of like my experience in the past having my reservation sent to the "Fare Desk", which took weeks, even in good times
yes it does seem if it is the new style MMB even the JS trick doesn't work unfortunately.

EDIT: if you are stuck in the disruption page the JS workaround doesn't work

Last edited by KARFA; Mar 26, 2020 at 12:26 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:09 pm

deleted

Last edited by P Martin; Mar 26, 2020 at 12:25 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:24 pm

[QUOTE=P Martin;32235043]Originally Posted by P Martin View Post
What is BA's position on a refund for a flight, (BA0716 LHR-ZRH 14:50, 30 Mar, On time), that hasn't been cancelled but Swiss Govt. has restricted entry for non citizens (Only Swiss citizens, Swiss residents, those entering the country for professional reasons (e.g., those who work here and have a permit to prove it), and those transiting through, can enter.)?

Originally Posted by Hawk777
if the flight is operating it's voucher or cancel as per the conditions of your booking paying whatever cancellation fees apply
Interesting, so BA is boarding passengers that are unable to enter Switzerland upon arrival?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by P Martin
Interesting, so BA is boarding passengers that are unable to enter Switzerland upon arrival?

ensuring you meet the entry requirements of a country is always the passenger's responsibility. BA normally would not do refunds if you do not meet the entry requirements. They may check your documents purely for their own purposes - they don't want a fine and/or to be responsible for returning you to your origin if you get denied entry at the destination.

I think you may be best off doing nothing since the flight could still be cancelled. the voucher can be applied for on the day should that not happen.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:31 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TravelManBiz
I just called BA to refund an Avios flight booking that had been cancelled. I also tried first on BA.com, but I also just got the page where I was told to call them. I then called BA (2 min waiting time) and they told me they had deactivated the possibility for cash refund. So it seems only way is to call now to have a cash refund of a cancelled ticket?
Yes, or see the wiki.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:37 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
What I don't understand is how they handle award bookings: will they return the miles to the EC account and issue a voucher only for the taxes/fees (=the part that I actually paid for with GBP)? Or will they not return miles and issue a voucher for everything? If so, what is the basis on which they calculate the value of the voucher? My award was a one-way Business Class ticket from Japan to Europe on JAL, the GBP value of that is huge (almost 6,000 GBP fare only, according to expertflyer). So would they issue a voucher for GBP 6,000+tax?
If you have an Avios booking these are your options:
- use the standard refund conditions on redemptions, cancel 24 hours before travel. Ł35 redeposit fee maximum, taken from the cash already paid. Cash is king, but see upthread for longer versions. GGLs get a full refund. Avios returned to account.
- wait until T-25 hrs or a bit more to see if JAL cancel anyway, same outcome as above, except it is a full refund. See upthread for longer versions. Cash is king. Avios returned to account.
- apply for a voucher now, it will be worth whatever you paid for the booking, in both cash, Avios and supporting vouchers, to be used as part payment against a new trip. See upthread for longer versions. Avios not returned to account.
Personally I think you need to look at the first and second option unless you have too much money right now.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:41 pm

Programs: QF SG, AC, AA
Thanks very much for this KARFA.
It is very helpful.
Is there any way to estimate how much BA would normally refund or credit for the return portion of a RT BA flight?
(I appreciate that I need to contact AA, but they will have said they have no idea how much the refund /credit might be.)
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
yes it does seem if it is the new style MMB even the JS trick doesn't work unfortunately.

EDIT: if you are stuck in the disruption page the JS workaround doesn't work
There's usually a way to revert back to the classic MMB page, should be a link somewhere.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:44 pm
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, or see the wiki.
Unfortunately, the JavaScript workaround no longer seems to be an option. In my case, BA.com is forcing my booking into the new version of MMB (this is for a booking where the outbound leg has been cancelled by BA).
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by jrobin
Thanks very much for this KARFA.
It is very helpful.
Is there any way to estimate how much BA would normally refund or credit for the return portion of a RT BA flight?
(I appreciate that I need to contact AA, but they will have said they have no idea how much the refund /credit might be.)
AA would actually do the refund and calculate it for you. Tbh if you are cancelling half the booking then it should be very roughly half the cost coming back.

For the TA one it would be the TA sorting it and refunding to you.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:41 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
If holding an F booking and BA downgrades the aircraft to 3 class does this give you an out to cancel for a refund or do you have to fly and accept the downgrade to CW?
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by KARFA
AA would actually do the refund and calculate it for you. Tbh if you are cancelling half the booking then it should be very roughly half the cost coming back.

For the TA one it would be the TA sorting it and refunding to you.
Are you sure about that? Knowing how round trip tickets are generally priced I doubt that cancelling the inbound of a return booking having flown the outbound will be roughly half the total cost. I would generally assume that the refund would generally be just taxes and surcharges of the inbound and possibly something more.

This is why I have been pushing my inbound bookings out 6 months (or longer) as my refund if I were to cancel would be nowhere near half the total cost of my ticket.
Old Mar 26, 2020, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Crampedin13A
If holding an F booking and BA downgrades the aircraft to 3 class does this give you an out to cancel for a refund or do you have to fly and accept the downgrade to CW?
not normally if in usual circumstances the conditions of carriage for cabin change due to different aircraft is any fare difference is repaid (on voucher for voucher bookings)

rebook alternative flight in same cabin 3 days either side to same destination

rebook more than 3 days either side but into same class

full refunds only allowed for cabin changes in fare rules apply it on original ticket
Crampedin13A likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.