Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:54 pm

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I have 4 Avios Awards on AA metal ORD-PVR for holiday travel within 72 hours.
U.S.-Mexico border crossing is now restricted to Essential travel.
I know I can cancel online for full Avios redeposit, but there is a $55 cancel/redeposit fee per passenger. I want to avoid paying $220 in fees. (I paid more than that in departure taxes). Is there any successful DP for full redeposit with no fees for travel bans/restrictions due to Covid?
I am a blue member and tried calling 3 times today, each time getting disconnected after 45 minutes on hold. Any tips on calling international call center? I tried BA Mexico Spanish, disconnected. Maybe Spain #?Asia?
Flight has flown all week and has not been cancelled or schedule change (which I am surprised, maybe expats returning home?).
TIA.
Worst case, Travel Insurance should cover it for a small excess (depending on your policy), which should hopefully be less than your overall spend!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
ORD-TGU:
How much were the taxes on your tickets? If the taxes were less than $55 you will only forfeit the taxes and will not be charged more.

Edited to add: I now notice that you said you paid more than that in departure taxes... so nevermind.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 4:32 pm

Thank you for the "disable Javascript" tip in the wiki! Logged into Manage My Booking, saw my LHR-BRU itinerary cancelled, and proceeded to complete the refund form.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
I have a BA Holidays booking for myself and Mrs FF from Aberdeen - Palma at the end of April which includes Car Hire and Hotel as well. Not unsurprisingly, I got an email notification this evening that one of the 4 flight sectors has been cancelled (and I am fully expecting the rest to follow..). In MMB the Change Booking and Cancel Booking radio buttons are greyed out and there is a big message at the top of the screen to contact my 'Local British Airways Office' for a refund or re-booking. My problem is that so far I have only paid the Holiday Deposit and the balance is due on Wednesday (25th March) yet we are being exhorted not to call BA unless travel is within 72 Hours. The dilemma then is do I pay the balance and claim the whole lot back later or try and phone? Any advice gratefully received!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:48 pm
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Up until last week this appeared on the BA FAQs:

I’m booked to/from Hong Kong, can I rebook or refund my flight?
If you are flying to/from Hong Kong up until 31 May 2020, you can rebook on to another flight, at a later date. It needs to be to the same destination and operated by British Airways.
To make this change please contact us. If you made this booking via a travel agent, please contact them to rebook your flight.

It appears to have disappeared. Are they no longer allowing for free changes to HKG flights which were booked before 3 March?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 5:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Fyvie Flyer
I have a BA Holidays booking for myself and Mrs FF from Aberdeen - Palma at the end of April which includes Car Hire and Hotel as well. Not unsurprisingly, I got an email notification this evening that one of the 4 flight sectors has been cancelled (and I am fully expecting the rest to follow..). In MMB the Change Booking and Cancel Booking radio buttons are greyed out and there is a big message at the top of the screen to contact my 'Local British Airways Office' for a refund or re-booking. My problem is that so far I have only paid the Holiday Deposit and the balance is due on Wednesday (25th March) yet we are being exhorted not to call BA unless travel is within 72 Hours. The dilemma then is do I pay the balance and claim the whole lot back later or try and phone? Any advice gratefully received!
If you have had a cancellation, do a screenshot but don't pay the final payment. These are, in any case, being delayed until 3 weeks before travel. If you did actually want to travel fairly soon - perhaps to somewhere else - then that may be a reason to call up. Otherwise just sit tight. (At home).
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm amazed at some of the complexities that people have on their bookings! But yes, there is an involuntary refund calculatio do be done on this, and given the travel already taken I would expect very little by way of refund, maybe $200 if that. So rebooking is a better idea, and of those options, LHR-BOS looks the most plausible you may be able to wangle AMS-LHR-BOS, but I wouldn't blame an agent for saying no that that.
Thanks so much. And yes, this trip had me travelling on five separate tickets, so its been a real peach to unwind .

I'll give it a couple of days and call up to make a change. May try to engineer a UUA at the same time!

Thanks again!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:08 pm
Suspended

What will happen regarding best price guarantee vouchers?

I had one given to me for £160, for a booking that has since been cancelled. I intent to get my cash back for this booking.

However, I’ve used the best price guarantee voucher. Are BA going to ask me for that £160 back?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
Can I ask the best way to get hold of BA in the coming days for the refund of taxes on an Avios booking. We cancelled two weeks ago tomorrow, a trip from Toronto to Berlin and spoke to the usual call centre. The avois and companion voucher were refunded within minutes of finishing the call. However, two weeks on we're still waiting for the taxes to be refunded - some 2600 quids worth.
We tried to speak today and after queueing for an hour, we were put through to the exec club (which is who we called in the first place) and a message to say the number is out of use. We're anxious not to tie up a call centre person who could be helping someone to get home. However, I've read on some of forums of all monies - fares etc being refunded really quickly in days and next week.
I'm now a lowly bronze - and apparently an email is not possible. Can anyone recommend the best way to get through (without tying up a reservations person) to check on the status of the taxes refund. Many thanks in advance.
Stay safe and now wash your hands
Old Mar 23, 2020, 7:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
Can I ask the best way to get hold of BA in the coming days for the refund of taxes on an Avios booking. We cancelled two weeks ago tomorrow, a trip from Toronto to Berlin and spoke to the usual call centre. The avois and companion voucher were refunded within minutes of finishing the call. However, two weeks on we're still waiting for the taxes to be refunded - some 2600 quids worth.
It is probably best to leave it a little while longer, there will indeed be people with very urgent travel trying to get through and realistically your query can wait. The only other option is Twitter. I appreciate it's a lot of money, but you will get the money fairly soon.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:24 am

Programs: BAEC G, VS G, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by ens100
Just had the below response from Twitter team (which is the same link as C-W-S posted)
Last time I could see a refund option for my Avios booking for 4 from LHR-SJC in CW (inc 241) online it was incorrectly showing a £600 cancellation fee so I didn’t process online.

If I complete this refund form and BA make the same mistake it looks like I’m giving up any rights to complain and get it corrected plus opening up to a club world of pain trying to get through and explain.

As my flights are already cancelled by BA, can I just leave it and sort it out when the dust settles (hoping there’s no future commercial event that prevents refund)?

Twitter team not responding and can’t get through in Gold line (although departure date not until next week so not really trying to ring)

Any advice?
Old Mar 24, 2020, 1:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Elite
I had an INV-NYC (via various places) far starting this week. I called up yesterday morning and got through on the gold line in about ten minutes. The incredibly cheery person in Manchester (assumes from accent) processed cancellation of entire booking due to one leg already cancelled.

The positioning flight to INV had been cancelled last week and the refund came through in seven days so I’ll sit tight until next week and expect my £2400 (for two people) to come through then.
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:46 am

Got a holiday balance due in a couple of days for Malaga for May trip, obviously won't be going but I don't really want to pay the balance then wait for 6 weeks for a refund but don't want to lose the deposit either, any advice please? Thanks
Old Mar 24, 2020, 3:52 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by paulaf
Got a holiday balance due in a couple of days for Malaga for May trip, obviously won't be going but I don't really want to pay the balance then wait for 6 weeks for a refund but don't want to lose the deposit either, any advice please? Thanks
I have managed to get a voucher for the deposit under book with confidence (even though by the time the voucher had been processed it was a week or so after the cut off date for paying the balance).
Old Mar 24, 2020, 4:02 am

Surprised!!

Hi folks.
We're booked LHR into Chicago on May 22nd. I have been patiently waiting for this to be cancelled so I can get a refund as I don't really want a voucher. This morning I get an email from BA apologising that our 10:25 flight had moved to 12:10. Eh? Do they really expect the flight to go? Anyway I guess I'll just hang on to nearer the date for it to be cancelled. I assume the voucher offer will still be there even if they do fly?
Thanks for your time!!
Trev

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.