Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Brisbane Road
I have a firmer idea of my dates now, so I went back on and it is now displaying that I have to phone in, there's no option to rebook online anymore. Is this a known change? .
You are generally allowed only one involuntary change, so yes, the rebook option would go away. Moreover at some stage, particularly after amending a ticket heavily, it leaves the self serve channel and all changes have to be manual, you won't see online refunds, POUGs and so on. So if you want to make any changes, you have to call, when within 3 days of travel, under current guidelines.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Have a read of the wiki, and then either use the alternatives mentioned there, or ring when you are within 3 days of the original departure. You would get the upgrade refunded too.
Thank you for your helpful, flame-free response!
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by makin'miles
I have two questions. First, were I to opt for a refund, how would that be calculated? I was able to request the eticket receipt via the Finnair website. Fare construction:

TLV BA X/LON BA CPT1296.50BA LON BA YMQ E/XXX M1551.73NUC2848.23END

So would BA just take the 1551.73 paid for CPT-LHR-YUL and divide it up on a 'mileage consumed' basis, with an adjustment for taxes and fuel surcharges?

Second, this July I need to fly AMS-BOS. As BA cancelled the flight, standard customer guidelines should apply. One option allows for a change of gateway within 300 miles of the original point of departure or arrival. Would I be permitted to change this LHR-YUL to either AMS-LHR-YUL or LHR-BOS (or even AMS-LHR-BOS)? Does the July date pose a problem? It would be just under one year from the CPT-LHR segment, but at about 22 months since the ticket was originally issued.
I'm amazed at some of the complexities that people have on their bookings! But yes, there is an involuntary refund calculatio do be done on this, and given the travel already taken I would expect very little by way of refund, maybe $200 if that. So rebooking is a better idea, and of those options, LHR-BOS looks the most plausible you may be able to wangle AMS-LHR-BOS, but I wouldn't blame an agent for saying no that that.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:20 am

Programs: MUCCI; BAEC Lifetime Gold; Marriott Bonvoy Emeritus Titanium; Hertz#1, Avis President’s Club
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
I just called BA to get a refund of a 2-4-1 redemption. Having dialled the usual number and pressed the necessary buttons, was on hold for all of 20 seconds. It took a minute to answer the security questions, a further minute to discuss what I wanted (points returned, refund of the tax/fees less the cancellation fees) and all was wrapped up with a further couple of minutes. And, a 6 month extension of the 2-4-1 voucher which was due to expire in October. 20 mins later the avios were credited to my account.
Top class. Well done BA.
Did they still charge the £35?
Old Mar 23, 2020, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by johnaalex
Did they still charge the £35?
yes, since the flight is currently still planned to operate, the cancellation fee was applied.
johnaalex likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Hawk777
if you are rebooking and not taking voucher you will be rebooked in same. Cabin
Thanks a lot for the response.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by iEimis
So, my long haul ex-EU sector has disappeared from the booking even though I am not due to travel until the 23rd of April (which is not happening I know). I assume this is a sign it is being cancelled? Rather odd, that LHR-MIA-LHR disappeared but BCN-LHR-BCN still shows as part of the booking. What should I do, just sit and wait closer to the time? Must add it was booked via Amex Travel so likely would have to contact them to get a refund.
Appreciate I am not due to travel for the next 4 weeks, however, it's still showing the same on Manage My Booking that BCN-LHR-BCN is due to operate (indeed BA is selling tickets as they appear to be varied for the number of seats on expertflyer) but LHR-MIA-LHR is zeroed out for the outbound (not inbound). Called Amex, they say they can't see the flights been cancelled on their end yet so not able to do anything, advised to call BA. I don't wanna call BA as I know how busy they are and people who need more urgent help than me. However, today I got an email (might be generic) of reassuring the measures they are taking and that they won't be selling food on board, so they do seem to be very optimistic BCN-LHR-BCN will operate, it's no good to me as the sector that seems to have completely vanished hasn't been addressed by BA, and frankly, that's the only one I am interested in. Not to mention, I don't think the situation will improve at all by then.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:10 pm

Appreciate I am not due to travel for the next 4 weeks, however, it's still showing the same on Manage My Booking that BCN-LHR-BCN is due to operate (indeed BA is selling tickets as they appear to be varied for the number of seats on expertflyer) but LHR-MIA-LHR is zeroed out for the outbound (not inbound). Called Amex, they say they can't see the flights been cancelled on their end yet so not able to do anything, advised to call BA. I don't wanna call BA as I know how busy they are and people who need more urgent help than me. However, today I got an email (might be generic) of reassuring the measures they are taking and that they won't be selling food on board, so they do seem to be very optimistic BCN-LHR-BCN will operate, it's no good to me as the sector that seems to have completely vanished hasn't been addressed by BA, and frankly, that's the only one I am interested in. Not to mention, I don't think the situation will improve at all by then.
If you booked with Amex, it is Amex who will handle the refund or eVoucher. If you have flights cancelled you have a straightforward right to a full cash refund if that is what you want.

There isn't any point in calling BA anyway, I don't think any of us can say what will be happening at the end of April.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:12 pm
Suspended

After the PMs announcement gonna be a lot of people asking probably similar questions who are currently abroad as soon as I have any info on flights and policy I will post them and I'm sure CWS will do same
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If you booked with Amex, it is Amex who will handle the refund or eVoucher. If you have flights cancelled you have a straightforward right to a full cash refund if that is what you want.

There isn't any point in calling BA anyway, I don't think any of us can say what will be happening at the end of April.
Thanks, it seems that multiple travel agents are not actually sure what is happening or BA isn't advising them accordingly of the flights that have been cancelled and the waivers that have been put in place as a result. The lady I was speaking to said she had to call BA on behalf of clients to get anywhere despite the existing voucher policies. I would prefer a full refund, but the flight isn't actually cancelled yet or not that I am aware it is, but it has disappeared from MMB and one leg is zeroed out on expert flyer. I guess I will just sit tight for the next few weeks hoping the cancellation communication arrives.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
However, today I got an email (might be generic) of reassuring the measures they are taking and that they won't be selling food on board
I had the same email this evening about not selling food and less than 40mins later an email to say the flight is cancelled, wasn’t expecting that so soon as it’s not till 11th April.
iEimis likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:41 pm

Seems another wave of cancellations are coming through, received cancellations for 3 of 4 flights in April. 2 were on a single booking, used the Javascript trick to get it to request a real refund rather than voucher; so hopefully that'll come back including the part-paid Avios too once it's been fully processed.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by SkiSunday
I had the same email this evening about not selling food and less than 40mins later an email to say the flight is cancelled, wasn’t expecting that so soon as it’s not till 11th April.
Mine was the other way around

Flight cancelled this morning, then received that e-mail this evening.
SkiSunday and iEimis like this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
I have 4 Avios Awards on AA metal ORD-PVR for holiday travel within 72 hours.
U.S.-Mexico border crossing is now restricted to Essential travel.
I know I can cancel online for full Avios redeposit, but there is a $55 cancel/redeposit fee per passenger. I want to avoid paying $220 in fees. (I paid more than that in departure taxes). Is there any successful DP for full redeposit with no fees for travel bans/restrictions due to Covid?
I am a blue member and tried calling 3 times today, each time getting disconnected after 45 minutes on hold. Any tips on calling international call center? I tried BA Mexico Spanish, disconnected. Maybe Spain #?Asia?
Flight has flown all week and has not been cancelled or schedule change (which I am surprised, maybe expats returning home?).
TIA.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
I have 4 Avios Awards on AA metal ORD-PVR for holiday travel within 72 hours.
U.S.-Mexico border crossing is now restricted to Essential travel.
I know I can cancel online for full Avios redeposit, but there is a $55 cancel/redeposit fee per passenger. I want to avoid paying $220 in fees. (I paid more than that in departure taxes). Is there any successful DP for full redeposit with no fees for travel bans/restrictions due to Covid?
I am a blue member and tried calling 3 times today, each time getting disconnected after 45 minutes on hold. Any tips on calling international call center? I tried BA Mexico Spanish, disconnected. Maybe Spain #?Asia?
Flight has flown all week and has not been cancelled or schedule change (which I am surprised, maybe expats returning home?).
TIA.
at the moment no if flight is operating and you cancel. The fee applies unfortunately

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.