Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by mikew112
Sorry, mid April (no idea why I typed year!) Flight number is BA0269 (LHR 16:15) 13th April.

Thanks so much.
There is no guarantee that BA will cancel the flight. All flights to the US have not been cancelled; there are a number of persons that are still allowed to enter the US and there are still people in the US that are flying to the UK.

If BA does not cancel the flight then you can receive a voucher to be used on BA in the next year or you can cancel under the fare rules for your ticket paying any cancellation fees and penalties. You can apply for the voucher up to one hour before your flight so it is in your interest to wait to see if BA cancels your flight.

If BA cancels your flight then you are entitled to a full refund. See:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32199603-post435.html

As of now, BA is still selling tickets for BA283 and that flight is still showing available. The AA flights LHR-LAX that day have been zeroed out and AA is not currently selling tickets on their flights. Using expertlyer, BA269 is not currently showing as operating on 13APRIL, so BA might have already cancelled that flight.

Did you buy your ticket from BA and have you checked manage my booking?

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Mar 20, 2020 at 4:50 pm
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:43 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Apologies if this has already been asked. If I paid for a seat reservation and the flight has been cancelled, how can I get this refunded? I applied for the refund online in MMB using the Javascript trick (thank you so much for that, saved me endless hours of holding on the phone). So the refund is on its way, I just want to know if the seat reservation fee which was paid part cash part Avios will automatically be refunded or if I need to do something.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 4:47 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JessicaB
Apologies if this has already been asked. If I paid for a seat reservation and the flight has been cancelled, how can I get this refunded?
at the moment you can only get a refund on the phone as website not working and seemingly nothing being done about it, they can refund the paid seating at same time, only dealing though if flight in 72 hours time
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I'm ticketed SJC-LHR-EDI in April, booked in WTP through Amex Travel online and subsequently upgraded with Avios with BA by phone. SJC-LHR segments are now canceled. I reached Amex Travel and was told that BA took over the ticket when they processed the upgrade and I now have to deal with them for refund. MMB says it's a travel agent booking so I have to contact the travel agent. Is the next step to call BA?
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:12 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by WrightHI
Is the next step to call BA?
Yes, that is the exception to the rule. Either ring up within 3 days of original travel, or when it gets quiet thereafter.
WrightHI likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: Executive Club
Originally Posted by Hawk777
at the moment you can only get a refund on the phone as website not working and seemingly nothing being done about it, they can refund the paid seating at same time, only dealing though if flight in 72 hours time
The thing is that I managed to get the fare refund through the website for the cost of the ticket. So will the paid seat also be refunded automatically, or do I need to call to get this refunded? It was £126 plus 6000 Avios for the paid seat so it is worth refunding.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 5:24 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JessicaB
The thing is that I managed to get the fare refund through the website for the cost of the ticket. So will the paid seat also be refunded automatically, or do I need to call to get this refunded? It was £126 plus 6000 Avios for the paid seat so it is worth refunding.
yes it should be included in the refund but double check when it comes through as sometimes it's missed off when do online
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:11 pm

Programs: BAEC, Virgin Flying Club
An unexpected bit of good news. I had left asking for a voucher to pretty much the last moment for a flight and car BA holidays booking. I had until today (saturday) to pay the balance that I had no intention of doing.

Anyway, just hours after applying for a voucher, I have received an email from BA holidays saying my flight has been cancelled (finally, it is for northern Italy after all) and that I will get a refund even if I have already applied for a voucher. Seems odd to me (surely they would prefer I took the voucher which I had finally accepted was my only option).

Anyway, some good news! Only two more bookings to go now! (Well three, but I still have hope for October in SA)
Old Mar 20, 2020, 6:42 pm

Our flight was cancelled and I called BA today. Only was on hold about 20 minutes (us line). Wonderful customer service. Did not take long even though he had to refund seats separately. This all saddens me so much and I hope we all survive and get back to normal.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver
So on March 25 I am due to fly LGW-JFK on BA223 on an outbound leg, returning on April 30 on BA2272. I’ve yet to receive an email from BA telling me that it’s cancelled, however the flight has disappeared from my BA EC area on ba.com.

Things I’d like to know:
- Is there any way to find out if this has been cancelled without calling BA?
- Should it be cancelled, since it’s less than 14 days before the flight am I entitled to both a refund AND compensation under EC261?
- I booked via a third party (TravelUp), who should I be contacting for my refund - BA or TravelUp?
- Is there any advantage to taking a travel voucher instead of a cash refund?

Thanks in advance!
Old Mar 20, 2020, 9:50 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
- the flights are no longer available so it’s safe to say they won’t run
- you are entitled to a refund, not to compensation due to the reason for cancellation
- you need to deal with your TA
- no, take the cash
flymao likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2020, 10:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by KARFA
- the flights are no longer available so it’s safe to say they won’t run
- you are entitled to a refund, not to compensation due to the reason for cancellation
- you need to deal with your TA
- no, take the cash
Perfect. Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing LON on 25/03/20 0:00 ± 3 Day(s) for JFK
Returning on 30/04/20 0:00 ± 3 Day(s) 
Flying BA  
Direct/Non-Stop Only
Point of Sale: UK

Flight        Depart             Arrive             Available Classes
0 Connections
BA 115        LHR                JFK                F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N0 Q0 O0 G9 
              25/03/20 13:55     25/03/20 18:05     

0 Connections
BA (AA) 1510  LHR                JFK                Flight Cancelled
              25/03/20 16:05     25/03/20 20:20     

0 Connections
BA 183        LHR                JFK                Su,M,T,W,Th,F   F9 A9 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E0 T0 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N0 Q0 O0 G9 
              25/03/20 19:05     25/03/20 23:00     
Code:
Flight Availability Search
Departing LON on 25/03/20 0:00 ± 3 Day(s) for JFK
Returning on 30/04/20 0:00 ± 3 Day(s) 
Flying BA  
Direct/Non-Stop Only
Point of Sale: UK

Flight        Depart             Arrive             Available Classes
0 Connections
BA (AA) 1511  JFK                LHR                F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 S0 O0 Q0 
              30/04/20 18:10     01/05/20 6:20      

0 Connections
BA (AA) 1517  JFK                LHR                F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 S0 O0 Q0 
              30/04/20 19:25     01/05/20 7:40      

0 Connections
BA 172        JFK                LHR                F5 A4 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9 
              30/04/20 21:00     01/05/20 9:05      

0 Connections
BA 114        JFK                LHR                F7 A6 J9 C9 D9 R9 I9 W9 E9 T9 Y9 B9 H9 K9 M9 L9 V9 S9 N9 Q9 O9 G9 
              30/04/20 21:30     01/05/20 9:35      

0 Connections
BA (AA) 1515  JFK                LHR                F0 A0 J0 C0 D0 R0 I0 W0 E0 T0 Y0 B0 H0 K0 M0 L0 V0 N0 S0 O0 Q0 
              30/04/20 22:35     01/05/20 10:50     
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:18 am

Our Valencia holiday has at last been cancelled - BA sent a clear email confirming that it would be fully refunded. For people asking about being refunded for booking their seat this has to be claimed separately.”Prepaid seating refunds can be requested using this claims form, Please mention that your booking was cancelled due to COVID-19 when submitting your form.”

I’m not sure whether the hyperlink will work after copying from the email but the form should be on their website somewhere. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
I hope you do not mind but given the number of posts in the thread and the increase in number of post referring back to previous posts or copying and pasting the same responses, I have updated the WIKI to include a few workarounds for people to try out before posting that a refund is sought as opposed to the voucher that is being offered on the online cancellation option.

@Hawk777 and @corporate-wage-slave (and a significant number of others) are doing a tremendous job helping everyone so if we can reduce the number of times they have to refer to previous posts, they can help people with concerns and particular issues that are outside the norm

Thanks all and keep staying safe
Globaliser, IMH, daftboy and 7 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.