Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by flieduk
Can I rebook the whole return leg by rebooking the LHR-DXB leg on a different day even if there is no Avios availability?
Yes
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Is there a way of rebooking beyond the 12 month ticket validity

HI
I think the answer to this will be a resounding NO but just wanted to check.
I booked a 241/companion voucher redemption ticket in the 50% off Avios sale a couple of months ago for travel in March 2021.
It is looking less and less likely that we will be able to travel and I am expecting that BA will be cancelling the flight.
I know my options are a full refund or a FTV (which will keep the voucher validity till April 2022) or a rebooking.
My preference will be for rebooking (so that I still keep my 50% Avios discount) but ideally would prefer to fly in February 2022, which obviously is more than 12 months since ticketed. ( I suspect BA will not allow this)
Is there a way around it or is the only option is to take the FTV and rebook the redemption for the full Avios amount?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:07 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I haven’t heard many (if any) stories about ba agreeing to rebook well beyond ticket validity since this rebooking policy started in july - so I would have to say pretty much no unfortunately. If and when you do get a cancellation it may be worth trying online and seeing whether that will allow you to go beyond ticket validity, but if not and you call the answer is going to be no sadly.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 6:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by KARFA
I haven’t heard many (if any) stories about ba agreeing to rebook well beyond ticket validity since this rebooking policy started in july - so I would have to say pretty much no unfortunately. If and when you do get a cancellation it may be worth trying online and seeing whether that will allow you to go beyond ticket validity, but if not and you call the answer is going to be no sadly.
I thought so too KARFA. Will see what happens. Thanks
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
. . . or at a later date at the passenger's convenience subject to availability . . .

Originally Posted by Dselvan
I thought so too KARFA. Will see what happens. Thanks
The EC261 text is pretty definite - after a BA cancellation, the passenger can choose to fly at a later date. The only restriction mentioned is "subject to availability".

BA reps have stated several times in this and other threads that a ticket can only be amended to dates within 365 days of the original issue, but this is a restriction on ticketing, not on the customer's right to fly. I believe the origin of the restriction is an IATA rule which is intended to block ticketing the right date but the wrong year.

With the permission of the BA back office a new ticket can be issued, with a new PNR for a date beyond 365 days from original purchase. Alternatively the passenger can buy a new ticket for cash for their preferred date of travel, and reclaim the cost from BA under EC261. I can understand that BA don't want to do this, but if the passenger insists, I don't seen how BA can refuse - surely MCOL or CEDR would overturn such a refusal.

Can anyone from BA comment?
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Aliksander
The EC261 text is pretty definite - after a BA cancellation, the passenger can choose to fly at a later date. The only restriction mentioned is "subject to availability".

BA reps have stated several times in this and other threads that a ticket can only be amended to dates within 365 days of the original issue, but this is a restriction on ticketing, not on the customer's right to fly. I believe the origin of the restriction is an IATA rule which is intended to block ticketing the right date but the wrong year.

With the permission of the BA back office a new ticket can be issued, with a new PNR for a date beyond 365 days from original purchase. Alternatively the passenger can buy a new ticket for cash for their preferred date of travel, and reclaim the cost from BA under EC261. I can understand that BA don't want to do this, but if the passenger insists, I don't seen how BA can refuse - surely MCOL or CEDR would overturn such a refusal.

Can anyone from BA comment?
there are so many of us in this situation it would be great if BA changed their policy on this. I can’t even try on the app as my cancelled route is KUL.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Aliksander
It would certainly be great to hear from anyone who has success doing this, there are clearly quite a few people this limitation is affecting.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
EU Reg. 261/04 doesn't provide a right to be rebooked beyond the standard industry validity of tickets.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:45 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
When a flight is cancelled the general advice from CWS and others is to wait a while before choosing refund or FTV. I have a BA Holidays booking that includes a flight on the recently cancelled Osaka route and I've just had an email saying that I have until 7th January to decide between refund / change / FTV or the trip will be cancelled unless I call. I've not seen an email that encourages an early decision mentioned before so this is just a heads-up post. Text of email is below:

As our contact centres are currently receiving a high volume of calls, please can you reply with history to this email to clarify your choice of next steps. Simply add to the subject field one of the following words to indicate your preference:

1. ALTERNATIVE- if you would like us to call you to discuss travelling on a different flight, an alternative destination, or date.
2. VOUCHER- if you would like us to cancel your booking in exchange for a voucher credit for travel any time up to 30 April 2022
3. REFUND- if you would like us to refund your original form of payment
Requests for a call back will be prioritised according to date of travel but you can expect to hear from us within the next 10 days.

Please make your selection by 4pm Thursday 7 January. If we don't hear from you we will refund your booking as per option 3. If you would like more time to consider your options please call us.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:53 am

Thanks PaulN

Yes that auto cancellation is very much a feature of BA Holiday bookings and not something you will see for BA flight only bookings. Basically this is a result of package holidays being covered by The Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018 which apply for BAH bookings but not normal flight bookings. There are provisions which require auto cancel and refund by the operator if the doesn't respond within a short time limit. This can catch out those who want to just rebook for new dates but leave it a few days to speak to BAH.

Some additional discussion here BA Holidays default cancellation turning into forced cancellation...
Old Dec 31, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador
Replying to SK AAR
Several people have posted the same statement as you.

However, EU Reg. 261/04 Article 8 (c) says that the passenger has the right to "rerouting under comparable transport conditions, to their final destination at a later date at the passenger's convenience, subject to availability of seats."

It does not give any restrictions about the validity of the ticket. Where does your information about EU Reg. 261/04 come from?

Last edited by Aliksander; Dec 31, 2020 at 9:27 am
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
BA Holidays seem to have more flexibility in extending a tickets validity
i have just had a partly used itinerary extended 2.5 years from the original booking date , it did not seem to be a problem at all . The pnr has stayed the same
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:22 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by PaulN
When a flight is cancelled the general advice from CWS and others is to wait a while before choosing refund or FTV. I have a BA Holidays booking that includes a flight on the recently cancelled Osaka route and I've just had an email saying that I have until 7th January to decide between refund / change / FTV or the trip will be cancelled unless I call. I've not seen an email that encourages an early decision mentioned before so this is just a heads-up post. Text of email is below:
I think this is, as KARFA mentioned, to comply with the packaged holiday law. I'm not 100% sure, but if you replied with the alternative and let them know that you're happy to wait until there's a bit more clarity, they might allow you to keep it in limbo until the ticket expires -- if anything, it buys you a little time.
Old Dec 31, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Duty of Care post Brexit

Hello

My Rio to LHR flight on 9 Jan has been cancelled and I am now returning on 11 Jan (hopefully!)

Am I correct that the duty of care regulations re hotel, meals, taxi continue after Brexit ? (I believe the EU law has been subsumed into British law)

Can someone confirm ?

thanks!
Old Dec 31, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by WeLoveSpace
Am I correct that the duty of care regulations re hotel, meals, taxi continue after Brexit ? (I believe the EU law has been subsumed into British law)

Can someone confirm ?
Yes they have.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.