Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:24 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by britenbsas
Any recent experiences re how long is it taking e-vouchers to be issued if requested online for a simple booking that hasn't been changed? Want to cancel and re-book as fare has dropped but don't want to be waiting days for the e-voucher to arrive
usually within an hour.
britenbsas likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:16 am

Requesting FTV on part-flown itineraty

I booked the following as one avios redemption:

MAN - LHR (Club Europe, as a free domestic connection)
LHR - BGI (Economy)

I have flown the MAN - LHR sector and now want to request a FTV for the LHR - BGI sector as this is scheduled for next week and we cannot travel due to English tier 4 restrictions.

If I request a FTV does anyone know how they will calculate the avios and cash due? I don't know how BA will treat the free domestic connection? Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by edonthebeach
If I request a FTV does anyone know how they will calculate the avios and cash due? I don't know how BA will treat the free domestic connection? Thanks.
Because it's an involuntary refund scenario, what should happen is that your full amount of Avios is preserved, but the cash element would be reduced somewhat to take account of the APD and PSC that have been used off the flown sector, I would guess around £40 to £50 without actually doing the maths. It's important to watch this one, since some agents remain unaware of the domestic calculations on Avios. Once you have got the FTV confirmed it's worth a call - during a quiet period - to double check the maths.
KARFA likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:14 am

Change fee refund issue.

I had a CDG-LHR-Denver in CW with the return from Denver booked last March for a few days after the US closed Denver to international flight.

I changed the ticket, online, to get the last direct BA flight from Denver to LHR. About three hours before I made the change, BA issued a travel trade advisory, waiving change fees.

But online I still had to pay 300 euro change fee. I didn't want to wait and try and get through and argue on the phone, I wanted that seat!

I have since phoned and emailed and online form filled, but never had a squeak back from BA. So I have not even had a rejection of my claim, or a deadlock letter.

What's the next step?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 4:40 am

Originally Posted by flygod
What's the next step?
Nothing. You decided and accepted to make a voluntary change with an associated change fee levied, hence I don’t see why BA would refund it.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For some history, I think flygod's issue relates to when they were introducing fee free changes back in March for part flow itineraries and whether they should have been charged the fee online. See the links below for previous posts.

Looking for time and date of March travel trade advisory
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32184869-post915.html

I think it does largely depend on the timing of the change compared to the timing of the update in policy.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 5:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Unless MMB allows you to move, then you're at the end of the road for these bookings, and yes you will either have to accept a refund or go the FTV route. And if rebooking you have to do it on the telephone with all that entails. If you do go FTV, may be look at somewhere easier? Having said that, i think what was and will be "easy" may be unrelated.

I was curious about this CWS, could he not force re-routing under EU261?
Old Dec 30, 2020, 6:07 am

Wonder if the FT wisdom can assist here.

I had DXB to LHR and domestic connections booked in J.

Phoned up BA to change the dates and times. No problem, slight difference in points.

However, I have still to receive an email with my fresh ticketing information. The booking shows up as it should on MMB.

Is there anything to be worried about? The cynical side in me worries that delaying ticketing is BA's way to get out of EU261 re-routing/duty of care claims. At the moment, the only confirmation I have from BA in writing as to the changed reservations is the MMB display.

Any help appreciated as always.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:18 am

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Originally Posted by heb999
I did the same. I was told that the two bookings were linked when I rang in to book the return. Not sure that I have any way to prove the linking up though. It look like I will have to cancel so am interested in your outcome.
I rang to get a refund on my cancelled 1st Jan 241 LHR/JNB flights today.
I had two PNRs with one 241 linked to both. The inbound is not yet cancelled.
The agent was helpful when i explained the link and went off to talk to a manager who agreed that both could be refunded without a change fee.
The avios and voucher for both flights were back in my account in less than 5 minutes. The cash element will take a bit longer. I was very pleased.

On a separate note I am still down the £70 for two people charged as a change fee for upgrading the outbound from C to F with avios, which was downgraded to C by BA and then subsequently cancelled. The avios have been refunded.
I know £70 is not much i the context of things but £70 x lots of people probably is.
As a matter of principle I think this is wrong as they have not provided me with the product purchased. At no time did any one take the time or send me any information to explain what the charge was for or the terms of the charge.
I have written to BA , the agent who intimated he felt it was wrong discussed it with a manger and they have stated that they will not refund this fee and their position is final.

I do not want to spend ages on this but it might be interesting. Would you use the MCOL system to make a claim against BA or another?

A very Happy New Year to you all.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by simonsmith
On a separate note I am still down the £70 for two people charged as a change fee for upgrading the outbound from C to F with avios, which was downgraded to C by BA and then subsequently cancelled. The avios have been refunded.
I know £70 is not much i the context of things but £70 x lots of people probably is.
As a matter of principle I think this is wrong as they have not provided me with the product purchased. At no time did any one take the time or send me any information to explain what the charge was for or the terms of the charge.
Your post is quite confusing so apologies if I’ve misunderstood any of it... but I read it that you don’t agree with BA not refunding a change fee paid earlier in the life of your booking? BA’s argument here is that the fee is for a service, and that service is the act of performing a change to your booking. It’s charged in addition to any fare/avios, and as long as your change is processed at the time and as agreed, they have delivered the service you paid for. What happens subsequently is inconsequential to the reason you paid that fee in the first place.

I have sympathy with their argument, as logically it holds firm. Unfortunately though it puts people such as your good self in an unpleasant position. I suppose you could ask for their mercy in acknowledging that you’ve been messed around a lot and whether they could make a goodwill gesture in the circumstances. But if they refuse, you could end up having to go a long way to get a refund, which may not be worth the £70. This is the sort of case for which they do tend to turn up to court, as the T&C of change fees make it very clear that they are non-refundable.

Good luck - and again, apologies if I’ve misread anything.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:30 pm

Programs: KLM Plat for Life , BA Gold, HH Silver, (Other half Diamond), IHG Gold
Thank you Confus some very useful and helpful thoughts .
The change was made on the phone and I was not made aware or pointed in the direction of any ts and cs in relation to it . In fact I do not think the change fee was even mentioned at the time . It does still seem a bit odd to me that they can charge a fee for a service but then not refund it when that service is reversed . I was trying to think of other examples where this might happen but am struggling to think of any . Best wishes
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:42 pm

It does still seem a bit odd to me that they can charge a fee for a service but then not refund it when that service is reversed . I was trying to think of other examples where this might happen but am struggling to think of any . Best wishes
I think the point is that the service was never reversed, it was carried out according to your instructions at the time, and covers things such as Amadeus re-ticketing fees and the CC agent’s time. As I said though, it can be argued either way, I’m not trying to say either is definitely right.

I suppose an equivalent would be something like an internet connection to a house. There’s a 2-week cooling off period to change your mind, but you still have to pay for any service used up to that point - including the standard £60 (ish) Openreach engineer fee, if you’re going with a provider that doesn’t cover this upfront for you (many do nowadays, but some don’t and never have). You still received the service at the time, even though it later was effectively reversed, so it won’t be refunded.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 2:57 pm

Thank you Confus some very useful and helpful thoughts .
The change was made on the phone and I was not made aware or pointed in the direction of any ts and cs in relation to it . In fact I do not think the change fee was even mentioned at the time . It does still seem a bit odd to me that they can charge a fee for a service but then not refund it when that service is reversed . I was trying to think of other examples where this might happen but am struggling to think of any . Best wishes
Or you can go to arbitration, if you're more comfortable doing this than MCOL.

I might be totally wrong, but my suspicion is that your situation falls between the cracks of the script given to call centre staff, and really what you want is someone that can exercise discretion to do so.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by Confus
I think the point is that the service was never reversed, it was carried out according to your instructions at the time, and covers things such as Amadeus re-ticketing fees and the CC agent’s time. As I said though, it can be argued either way, I’m not trying to say either is definitely right.

I suppose an equivalent would be something like an internet connection to a house. There’s a 2-week cooling off period to change your mind, but you still have to pay for any service used up to that point - including the standard £60 (ish) Openreach engineer fee, if you’re going with a provider that doesn’t cover this upfront for you (many do nowadays, but some don’t and never have). You still received the service at the time, even though it later was effectively reversed, so it won’t be refunded.
I don't think analogies are helpful, and the risk is everyone ends up annoyed when arguing over them!

But I would say it's like a broadband supplier charging a contract change fee to upgrade the speed of your internet: and then calling you up a few days later to say the engineer won't be coming to increase your speed, but you'll still have to pay the change fee as the engineer was booked to attend. Tough luck, your internet is still slow.
Old Dec 30, 2020, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by flieduk
Wonder if the FT wisdom can assist here.

I had DXB to LHR and domestic connections booked in J.

Phoned up BA to change the dates and times. No problem, slight difference in points.

However, I have still to receive an email with my fresh ticketing information. The booking shows up as it should on MMB.

Is there anything to be worried about? The cynical side in me worries that delaying ticketing is BA's way to get out of EU261 re-routing/duty of care claims. At the moment, the only confirmation I have from BA in writing as to the changed reservations is the MMB display.

Any help appreciated as always.
So my prediction has materialised.

I am currently in DXB having came out here on the outbound leg of a reward ticket.

The return leg is DXB-LHR-domestic

However the LHR-domestic flight has been cancelled. I do not fancy staying in a LHR hotel overnight.

Can I rebook the whole return leg by rebooking the LHR-DXB leg on a different day even if there is no Avios availability?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.