Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Dec 16, 2020, 1:40 am

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
I tried to get through to BA early this morning to cancel a flight scheduled for this morning. I was just given a series of other telephone numbers to try. I called the UK Gold line, was given an 0207 number that said they would open at 8am, so I tried calling the US number. Again I was give another number, that number also said it was closed and gave me an even later time to call. MMB told me I had to deal with it by phone. When I finally got through, the flight had just left, by about 8 minutes I would estimate. The Gold CS I spoke to said that I should have been able to get through because they are open 24 hours, so the booking is lost. She spoke to a manager who confirmed that.

It's a ET Avios booking so it's not the end of the world if it's actually lost, but it doesn't seem right to be told that I "should have been able to" get through to them, when clearly I couldn't. Does this sound right?

TIA
u01sss3 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 3:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Arsey00
I tried to get through to BA early this morning to cancel a flight scheduled for this morning. I was just given a series of other telephone numbers to try. I called the UK Gold line, was given an 0207 number that said they would open at 8am, so I tried calling the US number. Again I was give another number, that number also said it was closed and gave me an even later time to call. MMB told me I had to deal with it by phone. When I finally got through, the flight had just left, by about 8 minutes I would estimate. The Gold CS I spoke to said that I should have been able to get through because they are open 24 hours, so the booking is lost. She spoke to a manager who confirmed that.

It's a ET Avios booking so it's not the end of the world if it's actually lost, but it doesn't seem right to be told that I "should have been able to" get through to them, when clearly I couldn't. Does this sound right?

TIA
If you're still an hour before the flight you can get a future travel voucher. For the rest I don't know I'll let others with more knowledge answer.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 6:50 am

Avios sale 241 flight cancelled

Hi!
this has probably been asked before so sorry in advance. I made a redemption booking with the 241 amex voucher during the Avios sale for April 21
One of my flights has just been cancelled.

Am I right in thinking that I can ring and move both flights in the booking to another date within 12 months of April (eg in Nov 21) without any Avios cost, financial charge or even Avios seat availability?

cheers!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:05 am

Our flights LHR-SYD for May 2021 have been cancelled by BA. In fact, all flights to SYD have been cancelled to end of October 2021. BA schedule now only shows flights to SYD from 1st November 2021 onward. Our F booking used 2-4-1 voucher (50% avios discount) which expires at the beginning of October 2021 (after 6 months extension by Amex).

I have asked the question before and understood that in the case of flights cancelled by BA, my options are:

(1) take a FTV to extend the 2-4-1 voucher till 30th April 2022 - meaning I will have to use this FTV to travel on or before this date. I can book new flights but they are dependent on avios reward seat availability - meaning, the flights will be repriced and I have to pay more avios as 50% avios discount is no longer applicable. Also, the FTV must be booked by phone, and not online.

(2) rebook (without repricing) to flights anytime in 12 months after I originally booked - so long as there is space in the F cabin, and there is no need to have avios seats available. I booked on 6th October 2020 (when BA had the 50% avios discount). The 12 months re-booking window (for no repricing) will finish on 5th October 2021. However, BA schedule currently only shows flights to SYD from 1st November 2021 - meaning I cannot use this option.

Therefore, it seems that our only option is no. 1 - take the FTV to extend the 2-4-1 voucher and pay the additional avios for available flights towards the end of 2021. At the moment no F avios seats have been released from 1st November 2021 - only Y. When F avios seats available, I can call and apply the FTV for booking.

We want to return home some time in 2021, when the Australian government re-opens the borders for normal flights. We will take the jab / vaccine to get exemption from having to do the 14 days mandatory quarantine in hotels. In BA current schedules, they show alternative flights with other airlines (eg CX). The question is: would we be able to ask BA to book us on another one world airline such as CX or QR or JL or QF flights from LHR to SYD - if these are operating? Or, not possible since our booking was with a 2-4-1 voucher?

Another question: What would happen if we did nothing? Would BA refund our avios to our account and taxes paid to our credit card automatically? Just curious!
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
I booked the dirt cheap LUX-LHR-BOS-LHR-BRU business class flights that were available in October, with travel dates in August 2021. The LUX-LHR leg has been cancelled and the rebooking option is a flight that gets us into LHR after our LHR-BOS departs (the change is over four hours). Given the involuntarily cancellation, do you think there's any way I could persuade BA to reroute me from a UK airport? And when rerouting, am I also allowed to change the inbound flights? Ideally I would change to NCL-LHR-BOS-LHR-NCL (probably impossible, given it's 500 miles from LUX to NCL) but would equally be happy with just cutting the LUX-LHR and LHR-BRU and retaining the LHR-BOS and BOS-LHR flights.

Lastly, do I have to do anything soon, or can I just wait until a week or so before my flights in August and see if the US is open and travel is sensible?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Benm007
Hi!
this has probably been asked before so sorry in advance. I made a redemption booking with the 241 amex voucher during the Avios sale for April 21
One of my flights has just been cancelled.

Am I right in thinking that I can ring and move both flights in the booking to another date within 12 months of April (eg in Nov 21) without any Avios cost, financial charge or even Avios seat availability?

cheers!
From what I understood, if BA cancels your flight, you can only move it to any date, no repricing (avios seat available or not), up to 12 months from the date of your original booking, not the date of your flight. We did our booking on 6th October 2020, so we could only move flights to 5th October 2021. Catch 22 for us here, as BA schedule currently does not show flights for us till 1st November 2021.
KARFA, Lefly and Benm007 like this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You should assume you will be getting just one shot at changing for free at this point. Unless you have a very good reason to do otherwise, just leave it for now. You are in any case able to change flights without change fee, but for the fare difference, irrespective.
Many thanks for your reply. Why do you think I should just leave it? Is it because I can move to flights at any time to any flight, irrespective of Avios availability?
I would assume I can move to a peak date without any charge as there is no difference in taxes.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 8:36 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Benm007
Many thanks for your reply. Why do you think I should just leave it? Is it because I can move to flights at any time to any flight, irrespective of Avios availability?
I would assume I can move to a peak date without any charge as there is no difference in taxes.
It's both for that, and the added benefit that you'll have a clearer view of restrictions in place when you call to rebook. Today you don't know what the situation will be, leaving time will let the situation decant.
Benm007 likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 8:44 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
Originally Posted by A1pax

(2) rebook (without repricing) to flights anytime in 12 months after I originally booked - so long as there is space in the F cabin, and there is no need to have avios seats available. I booked on 6th October 2020 (when BA had the 50% avios discount). The 12 months re-booking window (for no repricing) will finish on 5th October 2021. However, BA schedule currently only shows flights to SYD from 1st November 2021 - meaning I cannot use this option.
!
After a 90 min hold I have just come off the phone with BA.

I am caught in the Oz trap and will just cancel. My 241 voucher expires in April so I will book Paris return, then claim a future travel voucher to preserve it - this is better than keeping the Oz booking alive as the avios and fees are far higher sitting on a voucher.

I also have a flight to Osaka and back form Tokyo. The Osaka route has been cancelled. This one was booked in the 50% off sale.

The operator ( who was lovely) said my options were to Change the outsold to Tokyo. Re date flexibility they will only allow -3 days + 14 days with a move of return to keep the duration the same without the need to have Avios Availability.

Beyond this (a) there needed to be Avios availability and (b) If I went beyond the 50% off period of 30th June I would be change more Avios.

I has assumed that the option above - any change as long as within 12 months of the ticket - were Ok, but seemingly not ---- unless of course those here on FlyerTalk know more - and if so could you please let me know the internal notice number so I can quote it and get the flight moved.

Many thanks as always
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by jeremyBA
After a 90 min hold I have just come off the phone with BA.

I am caught in the Oz trap and will just cancel. My 241 voucher expires in April so I will book Paris return, then claim a future travel voucher to preserve it - this is better than keeping the Oz booking alive as the avios and fees are far higher sitting on a voucher.

I also have a flight to Osaka and back form Tokyo. The Osaka route has been cancelled. This one was booked in the 50% off sale.

The operator ( who was lovely) said my options were to Change the outsold to Tokyo. Re date flexibility they will only allow -3 days + 14 days with a move of return to keep the duration the same without the need to have Avios Availability.

Beyond this (a) there needed to be Avios availability and (b) If I went beyond the 50% off period of 30th June I would be change more Avios.

I has assumed that the option above - any change as long as within 12 months of the ticket - were Ok, but seemingly not ---- unless of course those here on FlyerTalk know more - and if so could you please let me know the internal notice number so I can quote it and get the flight moved.

Many thanks as always
Thanks, jeremyBA, for sharing your experience on flights cancelled by BA. I will wait a few more days to think through before calling BA. Head for Points said they would do an article tomorrow.
FDMtrvl likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 9:23 am

Programs: BAEC: Bronze; Marriott: Gold
I've a 241 voucher (plus avios and taxes/fees) tied up in a booking for January. It looks as if those flights are going ahead, but we're not sure that we want to go at this time. I know that I have the option to cancel and pay the 35 per person redeposit fee, or I could take a FTV. NB. The 241 voucher is valid through to April 22, so that's not a factor in choosing what to do.
We're considering moving the trip back a full 12 months, so would want to rebook the same destination etc exactly one year in the future. Obviously the seats will not be released until T-355, so we would be stuck with the FTV in the hope that we can get the new flights once released.
As is standard practice for 241, I normally book the outbound online when they are released, then phone up to add the return. Can this still be done with a FTV?
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by A1pax
We want to return home some time in 2021, when the Australian government re-opens the borders for normal flights. We will take the jab / vaccine to get exemption from having to do the 14 days mandatory quarantine in hotels. In BA current schedules, they show alternative flights with other airlines (eg CX). The question is: would we be able to ask BA to book us on another one world airline such as CX or QR or JL or QF flights from LHR to SYD - if these are operating? Or, not possible since our booking was with a 2-4-1 voucher?
I don't believe there has been any announcement that having the vaccine will exempt you from the 14 day hotel quarantine program in Australia. That's some optimistic thinking, given there are still issues with domestic borders.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bakera
As is standard practice for 241, I normally book the outbound online when they are released, then phone up to add the return. Can this still be done with a FTV?
Yes, that should still be possible. But as ever, be careful of "maybe" bookings, as you can see above there is a real risk you will run out of options at some point.
bakera likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 12:09 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
I booked the dirt cheap LUX-LHR-BOS-LHR-BRU business class flights that were available in October, with travel dates in August 2021. The LUX-LHR leg has been cancelled and the rebooking option is a flight that gets us into LHR after our LHR-BOS departs (the change is over four hours). Given the involuntarily cancellation, do you think there's any way I could persuade BA to reroute me from a UK airport? And when rerouting, am I also allowed to change the inbound flights? Ideally I would change to NCL-LHR-BOS-LHR-NCL (probably impossible, given it's 500 miles from LUX to NCL) but would equally be happy with just cutting the LUX-LHR and LHR-BRU and retaining the LHR-BOS and BOS-LHR flights.

Lastly, do I have to do anything soon, or can I just wait until a week or so before my flights in August and see if the US is open and travel is sensible?
There is a lot to be said for waiting, just to see what happens. The cancellation means you can have a refund, as soon as you rebook you lose that flexibility and BWC ends in August as things stand. But what you can do is ask BA to simply cancel LUX-LHR legs (not sure about LHR-BRU since that's a separate ticketing code almost certainly) and even get a refund on it too. So you could just start from LHR.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2020, 2:23 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
There is a lot to be said for waiting, just to see what happens. The cancellation means you can have a refund, as soon as you rebook you lose that flexibility and BWC ends in August as things stand. But what you can do is ask BA to simply cancel LUX-LHR legs (not sure about LHR-BRU since that's a separate ticketing code almost certainly) and even get a refund on it too. So you could just start from LHR.
Thank you! Would cancelling the LUX-LHR leg void my right to a refund of the rest of the booking at a later date?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.