Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

    Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 4, 20, 8:04 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 11, 20, 5:04 am
  #4921  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,216
Originally Posted by RockyRobin View Post
It's a BA holiday as we added a hotel. I've emailed the guy there to see if he can categorically tell me what the transfer situation will be; if we do stay on the tarmac it will be an easier swing with my other half. Not great as its the talk offs and landings she dislikes the most.
I suspect that is unknowable at this point, too many moving parts - Brazil regulations, crew swaps, cleaning provision. So I wouldn't trust whatever you were told at this point, unless it is "we don't know". When this new arrangement starts in earnest that will be the way to find out.

There are Flying with Confidence courses in January at LHR.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Dec 11, 20, 5:56 am
  #4922  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Posts: 669
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
I suspect that is unknowable at this point, too many moving parts - Brazil regulations, crew swaps, cleaning provision. So I wouldn't trust whatever you were told at this point, unless it is "we don't know". When this new arrangement starts in earnest that will be the way to find out.

There are Flying with Confidence courses in January at LHR.
Thanks for the info.

I broached the flying courses before without any joy. I have broken the news now and it went ok. Although I did say we wouldn't be getting off and on.
RockyRobin is offline  
Old Dec 11, 20, 7:17 am
  #4923  
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 1,972
Originally Posted by RockyRobin View Post
It's a BA holiday as we added a hotel. I've emailed the guy there to see if he can categorically tell me what the transfer situation will be; if we do stay on the tarmac it will be an easier swing with my other half. Not great as its the talk offs and landings she dislikes the most.
Even with the best of intentions, anything a BA Hols representative tells you now is effectively his/her guess. These things are decided by Operations and Safety managers, not call centre reps, and I can guarantee they won’t even have had time yet to digest the news that it’s changed (and that’s if they’ve even been told themselves). So you won’t get anything even close to ‘categoric’ now. You could, however, ask to reroute via Madrid, if for some reason you prefer that.
Confus is offline  
Old Dec 11, 20, 7:32 am
  #4924  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 484
Hello all,
I have an INV-LHR-DXB-LHR-INV for February. The flights to and from INV have been cancelled, would it be worth my while to ask for the INV flights to be moved to EDI which suits me better?
Purely flights in this booking.
u01sss3 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 20, 7:33 am
  #4925  
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Programs: AA PlatPro, UA Silver, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Posts: 3,124
Originally Posted by u01sss3 View Post
Hello all,
I have an INV-LHR-DXB-LHR-INV for February. The flights to and from INV have been cancelled, would it be worth my while to ask for the INV flights to be moved to EDI which suits me better?
Purely flights in this booking.
Yes, I think you should be able to move within ~300 miles.
coleslaw is offline  
Old Dec 11, 20, 7:51 am
  #4926  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Yes, I think you should be able to move within ~300 miles.
Great, thanks!
u01sss3 is offline  
Old Dec 11, 20, 8:15 am
  #4927  
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: London
Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
Posts: 669
Originally Posted by Confus View Post
Even with the best of intentions, anything a BA Hols representative tells you now is effectively his/her guess. These things are decided by Operations and Safety managers, not call centre reps, and I can guarantee they won’t even have had time yet to digest the news that it’s changed (and that’s if they’ve even been told themselves). So you won’t get anything even close to ‘categoric’ now. You could, however, ask to reroute via Madrid, if for some reason you prefer that.
I'm not sure I would prefer anywhere over anywhere else for the stop as I haven't done such a thing before.

Its on a 2-4-1 so must be BA metal therefore any possible side benefits regarding Avios or type of aircraft couldn't be realised anyway?


UPDATE

Ive just spotted the new flights are in the A350! New suites, I’m over the moon.

Last edited by RockyRobin; Dec 11, 20 at 12:10 pm
RockyRobin is offline  
Old Dec 11, 20, 9:17 pm
  #4928  
mhy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: New York City
Programs: JAL Diamond / Oneworld Emerald
Posts: 410
My flights (both inbound/outbound) for March 2021 were canceled and I got an email putting me on alternate flights.

How long do I have to ask for a refund / change of dates / voucher? Is there a deadline?
mhy is online now  
Old Dec 11, 20, 9:41 pm
  #4929  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,396
Originally Posted by mhy View Post
My flights (both inbound/outbound) for March 2021 were canceled and I got an email putting me on alternate flights.

How long do I have to ask for a refund / change of dates / voucher? Is there a deadline?
6 years or so after the fact, but it's best advised to not wait that long as once the PNR disappears it becomes more manual to sort out.
flashware is offline  
Old Dec 12, 20, 4:37 am
  #4930  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: London
Programs: Lowly blue, sometimes Bronze
Posts: 513
I have a flight to Sydney on the 21 March 2021, return 12th April. This was booked with Avios on a 2 4 1 voucher last March.

I don't know for sure but I suspect the 2 4 1 voucher is close to expiry.

The BA system will seem to let me rebook until about June, but any dates further than that it says no availability. I assume this is rule based, but I can't get through to BA on the phone to ask.

The options seem :-

1. Refund
2. Travel Voucher - only benefit seems it will preserve the 2 4 1 to April 22 ( I don't know if that is booked date or travel date)
3. Move it forward 3 months ( those dates don't work for me). I would anticipate that date will be cancelled also and then move it another 3 months and so on. If not canceled then I am just out £35 to cancel it.

This is a minefield and I would be interested to hear any better suggestions!

Thank you
jeremyBA is offline  
Old Dec 12, 20, 5:12 am
  #4931  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,216
Originally Posted by jeremyBA View Post
1. Refund
2. Travel Voucher - only benefit seems it will preserve the 2 4 1 to April 22 ( I don't know if that is booked date or travel date)
3. Move it forward 3 months ( those dates don't work for me). I would anticipate that date will be cancelled also and then move it another 3 months and so on. If not canceled then I am just out £35 to cancel it.
Realistically you won't be going to Australia much before the Australian summer, so perhaps October. Possibly slightly sooner if both countries have a good roll out of vaccines, since in that context I can see Australia allowing the vaccinated to enter their country at some point, but this is the crystal ball running riot. You have the correct options, but the one thing that is going to hit you is that your ticket will expire at some point, namely March this year. MMB may allow the 3 month move but at some stage your current booking is going to expire. Hence FTV is your best bet, it seems to me, as thing stand travel must be completed by end of April 2022.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Dec 13, 20, 1:27 am
  #4932  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Edinburgh
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by u01sss3 View Post
Hello all,
I have an INV-LHR-DXB-LHR-INV for February. The flights to and from INV have been cancelled, would it be worth my while to ask for the INV flights to be moved to EDI which suits me better?
Purely flights in this booking.
Originally Posted by coleslaw View Post
Yes, I think you should be able to move within ~300 miles.
Just as a data point, BA did allow this. Thanks to coleslaw for the advice.
u01sss3 is offline  
Old Dec 13, 20, 11:54 am
  #4933  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 1
Back in October I booked Club World LHR > SYD return with the 50% promo and using my 2-4-1 voucher. Itinerary is February departure LHR > SYD BA15, March return SYD > SIN BA16 (transit only) SIN > LHR BA12. BA15 and BA16 have been cancelled, BA12 remains valid.

I have attempted to book new dates via the email 'manage booking' link which shows all commercial availability. Each date I try to book I get an error and return to BA.com message. I have called BA and they insist that I can only book using award availability (of which there is basically none) as they can only use commercial availability if it is within the same time period of the existing booking. I have referenced the coronavirus guidance and conditions of carriage regarding rebooking during the "ticket validity" which would be until October 2021 or August 2021 if going off my 2-4-1 voucher expiry but they will not budge, apparently the agent also spoke to a duty manager after my insisting she check who also confirmed the same. I pressed on the issue as how can I book for the same time period when BA has cancelled all FEB and MAR departures for this route?

Am I missing something here? Thanks
Glenb is offline  
Old Dec 13, 20, 12:13 pm
  #4934  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 55,216
Welcome to Flyertalk, and welcome to the BA forum Glenb.

You aren't the only person to be in this position, and in any event I can't actually see SYD resuming within your ticket availability anyway, given the stance of the Australian government thus far. Though others have been told the same thing, and apparentlly there is a "decision tree" which gives the outcome you got, nevertheless the Coronovirus guidance should allow you more than 14 days and not require Avios availability. Your best bet is to leave MMB for a few days to see if there is some rejigging that helps you, and then to call again as a second backup. However I have been cautioning against "maybe" bookings, and you would have to be careful here, since the clock is running out on your options, certainly by October when your ticket expires, or possibly August for the Companion Voucher expiry. That said, the worst case scenarios involve an FTV (to keep the Companion Voucher alive) or a full refund, so you aren't at risk of losing anything at this point. Note that BA may change their policies in the future too.
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Dec 13, 20, 12:13 pm
  #4935  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 9
Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
In terms of voluntary changes to rewards it is the case that they should only be done between destinations in the same band. Mexico and HK are different bands so that should not have been allowed really.

In terms of retaining the discount, again for any voluntary changes to these bookings you should have to pay the extra avios due for the normal rate. Again it might be you get away with this, but I would be concerned that the same happens to you as noted in this post when the ticket gets re-issued https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32862663-post492.html
This has just been ticketed today, looks like I've gotten away with it!

It seems that the CS agent has worked around something, as it says I've used a Gold Upgrade voucher which I don't have.

Either way, 2x First Class for 85k Avios and £1300 in fees. Can't beat that.
KARFA likes this.
Tentatively is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread