Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:10 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Maybe bookings are speculative bookings based on an unproven assumption that travel will open up again on a particular route. The opposite is (e.g.) a work related trip which won't change such as the end of an assignment or visa expiry, so you have to leave. Upthread there are several dozen bookings where people thought travel will now be available, in some cases based on rebookings from cancelled flights, and they are simply not going to happen. At some point the ticket will expire or BA will change their rules. Cancellation = refund = good, would be the shorter version.

If you get an FTV from BAH, it's often verbose and invites the user to reply to BAH with their new booking details so BAH can take the necessary action - so yes, you would reply to the FTV. If it doesn't say this, then you best contact BAH by telephone.
Thanks, I see what you mean. Are you suggesting that leisure travellers shouldn’t make any bookings until the virus is controlled and borders open properly?
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:11 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bluemoon68
As far as I can see EK708 only has a code share with QF (QF8708) not BA, this may be the sticking point, but the flights do exist!
There is very limited rebooking options outwith BA, and usually it involves oneworld airlines, followed by BA codeshares, followed by a short list of third party airlines such as Lufthansa. If the cancellation happened at very short notice then IATA airlines can be used, otherwise there won't normally be scope to use a Qantas codeshare to drive a replacement service.
Freddorick likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:14 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Radiation Station
Thanks, I see what you mean. Are you suggesting that leisure travellers shouldn’t make any bookings until the virus is controlled and borders open properly?
Depends where it is, given it's a global pandemic. I would consider a leisure booking to Greece for April, that's realistic but still guesswork. We know that Pfizer has a European wide contract. But somewhere further afield before April? Personally I don't see that as realistic. The key to the latter sort of travel is a short notice booking, you get to say a date in February, you know the latest news, you can see the flights and then you take a risk. Look at Maldives - this was seemingly fine until Lockdown 2.0. From 2 December this may become viable again but I would only be looking at this around the end of November. It's just my point of view, but as I say there are dozens of posts upthread where people have made maybe bookings and they are now boxed in. I guess an FTV isn't the end of the world, but that's what many people are facing now.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:15 am

Programs: SAS Eurobonus Gold Card
HI All

I’m hoping someone can help me. I am resident in Sweden but a British National. I travel weekly between Sweden and UK for work. I haven’t traveled since the lockdown started due to illness but will start again now. I’m wondering what checks are done at LHR to prove I’m traveling within the rules?

I have a letter from my employer which says I live in Sweden and travel to the UK for work (which was accepted by Border Force for the quarantine exemption previously) and I have documents which prove I’m living in Sweden. Is there any other kind of documentation I should carry just in case?

any guidance is much appreciated.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 9:18 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb
Depends where it is, given it's a global pandemic. I would consider a leisure booking to Greece for April, that's realistic but still guesswork. We know that Pfizer has a European wide contract. But somewhere further afield before April? Personally I don't see that as realistic. The key to the latter sort of travel is a short notice booking, you get to say a date in February, you know the latest news, you can see the flights and then you take a risk. Look at Maldives - this was seemingly fine until Lockdown 2.0. From 2 December this may become viable again but I would only be looking at this around the end of November. It's just my point of view, but as I say there are dozens of posts upthread where people have made maybe bookings and they are now boxed in. I guess an FTV isn't the end of the world, but that's what many people are facing now.
I see what you mean. Aside from the BAH punt on South Africa in Jan (I am happy to sacrifice £350 for an FTV), I’m focusing on Europe and the UK until at least June.

My issue with booking last minute is that it usually ends up being much more expensive, as I found with Tenerife last week. As a Newcastle based traveller, I don’t have the luxury of a last minute BA Avios direct flight to Europe from LHR.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
There is very limited rebooking options outwith BA, and usually it involves oneworld airlines, followed by BA codeshares, followed by a short list of third party airlines such as Lufthansa. If the cancellation happened at very short notice then IATA airlines can be used, otherwise there won't normally be scope to use a Qantas codeshare to drive a replacement service.
Is this for revenue bookings as well as Avios?
There must be quite a few people who travelled to SEZ before lockdown and BA's last flight back was 2 days after lockdown. That leaves a not insignificant number with an extended holiday, potentially at BA's expense.
Freddorick likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by citiflyerUK
I have a letter from my employer which says I live in Sweden and travel to the UK for work (which was accepted by Border Force for the quarantine exemption previously) and I have documents which prove I’m living in Sweden. Is there any other kind of documentation I should carry just in case?

any guidance is much appreciated.
There are two factors currently: Lockdown 2.0 and the restrictions on travel outside the Common Travel Area. If you meet the exemption criteria for international travel then you are going to be OK for Lockdown 2.0 as well. So you need to fill in your PLF and it would be advisable to carry proof of the exemption from the need to self isolate, which may indeed consist of a letter from your employer. Around 30 to 70% of travellers are currently having their PLFs checked, and the Border Force may remind you of Lockdown 2.0 prohibiting non essential travel (broadly defined). More information in the dedicated thread to this in the Coronavirus Forum.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by bluemoon68
Is this for revenue bookings as well as Avios?
There must be quite a few people who travelled to SEZ before lockdown and BA's last flight back was 2 days after lockdown. That leaves a not insignificant number with an extended holiday, potentially at BA's expense.
There are a set of guidelines and generally speaking rebooking on to other airlines is the same for commerical and Avios bookings, but there can be exceptions. And yes, BA is presumably aware of the risk of paying for extended stays for people in the Indian Ocean and Caribbean, there are a number of posts about this now. Hence it's possible that the guidelines will open up more at some point.
Freddorick likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
I requested a FTV for a BA Holidays booking the other day.

Today I received an email to to say my application was successful and I should book a new holiday, pay for it myself and then email them the reference of the new booking and they will refund me the value of the voucher. They will not let me use the voucher to book something. The voucher value is €4,000, so in summary BA expects me to pay another €4,000 on a holiday and once I can evidence that I’ve done that, they will refund me €4,000.

Is this correct? Ideally I want to call and book something using the voucher but I was told I had to pay first and then get a refund. Seems crazy...?
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by mrdisco
I requested a FTV for a BA Holidays booking the other day.

Today I received an email to to say my application was successful and I should book a new holiday, pay for it myself and then email them the reference of the new booking and they will refund me the value of the voucher. They will not let me use the voucher to book something. The voucher value is €4,000, so in summary BA expects me to pay another €4,000 on a holiday and once I can evidence that I’ve done that, they will refund me €4,000.

Is this correct? Ideally I want to call and book something using the voucher but I was told I had to pay first and then get a refund. Seems crazy...?
Sort of correct, but obviously you can just pay the deposit and then the €4,000 goes towards the remaining balance. I think they refund the rest.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: Aer Lingus AerClub Concierge, BA Silver
Sort of correct, but obviously you can just pay the deposit and then the €4,000 goes towards the remaining balance. I think they refund the rest.
I completely overlooked the part where I could just pay the deposit and the voucher would go towards the rest of the balance. That’s a lot more palatable. Thank you!
Old Nov 12, 2020, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Freddorick
I already outlined my issue upthread a bit. This is my current situation: my wife and I flew to the Seychelles one day before the lockdown was announced. Our return was supposed to be the 16th of November which was cancelled last Friday. The booking was made using Avios in Club World.

I have since spoken to two different BA agents. Both were adamant that they couldn’t rebook me on any other flights except for the BA flight on the 14th of December. They both checked for availability on other airlines and came back saying that they only have seats on the BA flight. This is obviously not true as I can book a cash ticket, on e.g. EK or EY for dates before the 14th December (I suspect they might have looked in the reward bucket). I have accepted the change to the 14th of December today under protest (the 16th is approaching and we will spend the next few days on a more remote island). In general I am ok with being here a bit longer (I am working from home anyway and my employer is ok with me working from the Seychelles). I would have preferred to fly home a bit sooner though.

I have written the customer service team at BA today outlining the situation, asked them to rebook me onto an earlier flight if possible. I also gave a written account of my conversation with the agents as I thought it might come in handy later. I assume that this will likely not happen so we will be here 28 days more than initially planned. It appears to me that BA should pay for our accommodation, and meals during these 28 days. I frequently read the 200GBP/day figure for hotels and 25GBP per person for meals.

Does anyone happen to know if the 25GBP per day is a flat sum I can claim or does BA expect us to submit receipts? We will likely end up taking an airbnb for the time and thus will shop meals in the supermarket. Keeping receipts seems easy enough when the delay is a few days and you just head to a restaurant.

It seems like a stupid decision from BA given that 28 days @250GBP per day is 7000GBP. We’ll likely be a bit below this as even nicer airbnbs are typically around 150GBP. I am actually not terribly convinced that they’ll pay this without claiming it from them through a court. Is there any additional advice to increase chances of a successful claim?
It seems quite mean of BA not to rebook on another airline and insist to rebook a month later just because thats when the next BA flight is? I understand prioritizing BA if its a viable option but in this case, flying back on the 14th Dec vs. original date of 16th Nov is not reasonable by any stretch of the imagination?
Shouldn't one of the responsibilities of the airline be to get the pax to their destination within a reasonable timeframe of what they booked, if its the airline that cancelled in the first place? In their standard guidelines for cancelled BA flights, they list 10 options for rebooking/refunding, which pretty much covers the spectrum of disruptions and possible remedies. Option 10, booking any other carrier, just says that the rebooked flight has to be +/- 1 day of original cancelled flight, so as long as the pax finds a SEZ-LHR on any airline that departs on the 15/16/17 Nov, shouldn't s/he be entitled to that rebooking, given that BA can't offer ANY solution? Or did I miss something in the guidelines and misinterpret them? I can't imagine any reasonable agent not seeing the logic and using option 10 to rebook...

This brings us to the current situation: airlines are selling flights months ahead they know they will cancel to get our cash, and given the unprecedented situation we are facing, I actually think thats OK, in the sense that they need positive cash flow to pay their bills and employees. But we passengers also book knowing there is a risk of disruptions and we are willing to accept that because we also know that there is a set of guidelines in place to protect us and provide solutions. Abandoning a pax while on holiday in a foreign land for a month just to avoid booking on another airline seems to be quite a failure of responsibility and fairness? Or am I just bonkers?!!
Freddorick likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
It seems quite mean of BA not to rebook on another airline and insist to rebook a month later just because thats when the next BA flight is? I understand prioritizing BA if its a viable option but in this case, flying back on the 14th Dec vs. original date of 16th Nov is not reasonable by any stretch of the imagination?
Shouldn't one of the responsibilities of the airline be to get the pax to their destination within a reasonable timeframe of what they booked, if its the airline that cancelled in the first place? In their standard guidelines for cancelled BA flights, they list 10 options for rebooking/refunding, which pretty much covers the spectrum of disruptions and possible remedies. Option 10, booking any other carrier, just says that the rebooked flight has to be +/- 1 day of original cancelled flight, so as long as the pax finds a SEZ-LHR on any airline that departs on the 15/16/17 Nov, shouldn't s/he be entitled to that rebooking, given that BA can't offer ANY solution? Or did I miss something in the guidelines and misinterpret them? I can't imagine any reasonable agent not seeing the logic and using option 10 to rebook...

This brings us to the current situation: airlines are selling flights months ahead they know they will cancel to get our cash, and given the unprecedented situation we are facing, I actually think thats OK, in the sense that they need positive cash flow to pay their bills and employees. But we passengers also book knowing there is a risk of disruptions and we are willing to accept that because we also know that there is a set of guidelines in place to protect us and provide solutions. Abandoning a pax while on holiday in a foreign land for a month just to avoid booking on another airline seems to be quite a failure of responsibility and fairness? Or am I just bonkers?!!
It is all bonkers. Even more bonkers as BA fly one of the two segments.
I must admit BA gave us the option to move our flights forward to the same flight to avoid the Boris Ban, one of our reservations was whether BA would still be operating the flight to bring us home, the other reservations was getting a PCR test within the timescales set and the prospect of coming home via DXB and having to isolate, hence our decision to cancel.
Today's news actually gets rid of the isolation requirement, if anyone does fly via DXB.
I suppose now the choice OP has is to pay out himself to fly via DXB or remain in SEZ for another 2+ weeks. Given there is a risk of having to go via MCOL to get back the cost either way.
Freddorick likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 12:02 pm

Option 10, booking any other carrier, just says that the rebooked flight has to be +/- 1 day of original cancelled flight, so as long as the pax finds a SEZ-LHR on any airline that departs on the 15/16/17 Nov, shouldn't s/he be entitled to that rebooking, given that BA can't offer ANY solution? Or did I miss something in the guidelines and misinterpret them?
Yes, the "Period" section makes it clear that is for cancellations within 1 day of departure. In the good old days this was the way flights were cancelled! So you can't use this option for cancellations made weeks off.

For the rest, as I say, the various guidelines may change, BA often needs to negotiate arrangements with other airlines, and that takes effort (particularly with so many staff furloughed). So keep an eye on the situation and call up from time to time, particularly if you see a QR based codeshare near your travel dates. There is the option of travelling back on another airline and charging it to BA after getting back. This is an uncertain path, but there is some CAA guidance (guidance, not law) that suggests that this is a reasonable way forward if an airline doesn't rebook.
jerry a. laska and Freddorick like this.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Nov 12, 2020 at 12:07 pm
Old Nov 12, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thats a good question, I wonder if it would make a difference if you fed the agent all the information, segment by segment with specific flight numbers? Sometimes the system doesn't come up with your specific option if the agent just puts the origin and destination? I guess what we need is data points to know if its possible to do a rebooking by segment and cobble together an itinerary that way. It would just need the pax doing his/her homework first, but save so much time and grief on both ends...
Another related issue: if there is an itinerary involving flights from different carriers who don't publish a fare, for example BA -> non-oneworld, would that still be an option for rebooking, as long as the schedule works, the MCTs are respected, the appropriate fare buckets are available and its all conform to the guidelines? It would seem feeding the agent the flights segment by segment would work in this case also?
I did indeed read out all of the flight numbers but the first agent would not entertain it. Tried ringing again just now and had the same initial response about there being no flights visible, but after reading out the flight numbers I was put on hold whilst they spoke to a manager and after 45 minutes all in was ticketed on the all LH routing. The second agent was very jolly and had excellent perseverance!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.