Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:18 am

Programs: BA gold, HHonors diamond, IHG rewards gold
Thanks that is a relief. I've fallen foul of booking multiple one ways under the old 50p cancellation glitch but now been told each one way RFS will be charged the full £35 in fees, which renders them pretty much worthless unless the voucher works.

it was the points guy that very clearly said FTV was only used for revenue fares and the article is only from end of June:

What can I use my voucher for?

Your voucher can be used to travel to any destination in the British Airways network including partner airlines, as long as it’s a British Airways-marketed route with a BA flight number. It can also be used on a British Airways Holiday.

Frustratingly you can only use a Future Travel voucher for a new cash/revenue fare — even if the voucher was issued as a result of a cancelled redemption. This creates a very messy situation where the Avios from a cancelled redemption are held in the FTV (rather than being returned to an Executive Club) but the fees, taxes and surcharges in the FTV must be used towards a new cash/revenue fare.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by jenecho
Thanks that is a relief. I've fallen foul of booking multiple one ways under the old 50p cancellation glitch but now been told each one way RFS will be charged the full £35 in fees, which renders them pretty much worthless unless the voucher works.

it was the points guy that very clearly said FTV was only used for revenue fares and the article is only from end of June:

What can I use my voucher for?

Your voucher can be used to travel to any destination in the British Airways network including partner airlines, as long as it’s a British Airways-marketed route with a BA flight number. It can also be used on a British Airways Holiday.

Frustratingly you can only use a Future Travel voucher for a new cash/revenue fare — even if the voucher was issued as a result of a cancelled redemption. This creates a very messy situation where the Avios from a cancelled redemption are held in the FTV (rather than being returned to an Executive Club) but the fees, taxes and surcharges in the FTV must be used towards a new cash/revenue fare.
From the British Airways voucher FAQs:
If I had a reward flight booked, will I be able to get a voucher?

Yes, you will be able to claim a voucher which can then be used to book another reward flight in the future. Additional Avios, taxes, fees and charges between the existing booking and new booking may be incurred.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:54 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
JAL just canceled my flight that was booked using Avios (plain vanilla redemption). Apologies if I’m missing something, but is there any reason I would want to take an FTV as opposed to just an ordinary refund of the points and fees/taxes? Seems like the refund is a no-brainer but maybe I’m missing something.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 11:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nnn
JAL just canceled my flight that was booked using Avios (plain vanilla redemption). Apologies if I’m missing something, but is there any reason I would want to take an FTV as opposed to just an ordinary refund of the points and fees/taxes? Seems like the refund is a no-brainer but maybe I’m missing something.
If there are no companion vouchers involved, the only reason for going FTV that we could think of is if your Avios were at risk of expiry. Then we found out that redepositing Avios extended expiry anyway. So short answer is don't go with FTV. There would be a point in rebooking if it was a BA service, since you wouldn't necessarily need redemption space in certain circumstances, but since you are on JAL that would not apply either.
nnn, IMH and golfmad like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Evening all.

I have a cash booking return to TLS.

I honestly forgot I had this booking, hoping they would cancel so I could get a cash refund.

I now want to use this cash to book a trip to Dubrovnik.

If I request a voucher, how long does it take to come through so I can use it on my new booking?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 1:05 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by eugegall
Evening all.

I have a cash booking return to TLS.

I honestly forgot I had this booking, hoping they would cancel so I could get a cash refund.

I now want to use this cash to book a trip to Dubrovnik.

If I request a voucher, how long does it take to come through so I can use it on my new booking?

Thanks in advance.
pretty quick now, usually less than a few hours.
eugegall likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:51 am

As anticipated, my redemption flights to SYD next month, using a companion voucher, have been cancelled (the perfect denouement to my cunning plan to grab 2 seats in F, when things started to kick off in March and availability sprung up, with the thought that BA might do more than normal with re-booking options - worst case, I would be down £70 in cancellation fees).

Am I correct in thinking that, when requesting a re-booking under the current space available conditions, both legs must be completed within 365 days of the original booking date?

I am aware that there is a significant chance of Australia not re-opening its international borders, even well into 2021, but that is a worry for another day.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:54 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Haagen Daz
Am I correct in thinking that, when requesting a re-booking under the current space available conditions, both legs must be completed within 365 days of the original booking date?
Yes, correct, more information in the Wiki and upthread.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 3:58 am

If you have a specific replacement flight that you definitely want to book, you shouldn't need to wait, unless there are complexities involved. Since you have to call up to rebook anyway (allegedly an online facility is going to be with us "any day now"....) what you can do is ring to offload yourself from the original flights and in the same call transfer the booking to the replacement service. Though the FTV process is fairly slick now, in any event you don't need to wait for it if you have a booking in mind. The contact centre may need your ticket number as well as your old PNR in certain scenarios.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 4:11 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, correct, more information in the Wiki and upthread.
Thank you.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
pretty quick now, usually less than a few hours.
Just to update. I selected the online voucher option and within two minutes flat, I had an email with my codes!

If you have a specific replacement flight that you definitely want to book, you shouldn't need to wait, unless there are complexities involved. Since you have to call up to rebook anyway (allegedly an online facility is going to be with us "any day now"....) what you can do is ring to offload yourself from the original flights and in the same call transfer the booking to the replacement service. Though the FTV process is fairly slick now, in any event you don't need to wait for it if you have a booking in mind. The contact centre may need your ticket number as well as your old PNR in certain scenarios.
I thought this might be the case so called the Gold line to ask them to process this and she put me on a ten minute hold to come back and say it cant be done.

All I wanted to do was to use the credit for the TLS flights and apply them to Dubrovnik flights but apparently not!

Voucher came through super quick anyway and I'm now about to attempt to 'spend' them. Here goes!
Old Jul 11, 2020, 6:31 am

All I wanted to do was to use the credit for the TLS flights and apply them to Dubrovnik flights but apparently not!
Is the DBV a cash booking like TLS? If so then I think that was incorrect advice you got from the Contact Centre.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 7:22 am

Is the DBV a cash booking like TLS? If so then I think that was incorrect advice you got from the Contact Centre.
I've read the same on here too so I think you are right.

These guys years worth of entire brain knowledge and training has been turned upside down so it's obviously a challenging time for them so didn't give her a hard time.

I did challenge it, but she was adamant.

Hung up, requested the voucher, called back, booked with ease!

Cant wait to get away in 3 weeks today!!!
Old Jul 13, 2020, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by safari ari
Weird situation I'm in, and looking through other threads I believe I have most of the information.

I had an F ticket booked through my TA, on BA (3/4 segments on BA, 1/4 on AA), my first segment was cancelled and I called my TA to initiate the refund. I received it almost two months later, but that is another issue. My refund was the cost of my ticket less $200, but there was no line item on the invoice as to why. I called my TA and they said since I had changed my ticket prior, the one time change was waived, and this is where the $200 charge is coming from. Now, the first change was before all the waivers in Jan/Feb, and was because an aircraft change had downgraded me to J, I called the TA and asked to be moved to a later flight due to the downgrade, to my originally booked cabin. (This i believe is in my rights due to EU-261/BA?). The BA flight segment cancellation was again, involuntary, and per DOT rules, (and EU-261?) I was entitled to a full refund. Am I incorrect to question them charging me the $200 on the refund since it was my "2nd" change, even though both were involuntary changes and covered (unsure about downgrade) by local laws?
Well, after BA refused to acknowledge that both changes to the ticket were involuntary and under my perceived rights, both due to EU261 and DOT laws, I filed a charge back for the difference to my CC (again $200). BA has now submitted, [threatened], to charge back for the full price of the ticket with added penalties, which will then be passed on to me. I basically have a day to amend this issue, but seems overly zealous and ridiculous for a charge that any other time I could be compensated up to 75% of the ticket, when I am only asking for my full refund. What options do I have at this point, feel like my consumer rights are being violated by being threatened for disputing a charge on my CC.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 4:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by safari ari
Well, after BA refused to acknowledge that both changes to the ticket were involuntary and under my perceived rights, both due to EU261 and DOT laws, I filed a charge back for the difference to my CC (again $200). BA has now submitted, [threatened], to charge back for the full price of the ticket with added penalties, which will then be passed on to me. I basically have a day to amend this issue, but seems overly zealous and ridiculous for a charge that any other time I could be compensated up to 75% of the ticket, when I am only asking for my full refund. What options do I have at this point, feel like my consumer rights are being violated by being threatened for disputing a charge on my CC.
I remember you raising this at the time back in early June.

For your downgrade I am afraid you have no such entitlement to a change to another flight under EC261. Your rights for a downgrade under EC261 are for a part refund of the ticket price. Now as I mentioned at the time, BA's standard guidelines do allow you to change to another flight at no charge either on the same day or +3/-3 days after the original departure date. Presumably as this was a TA booking the TA actioned this and followed BA guidelines? Was anything said to you at the time? Did the TA charge you anything at the time? Was this charge the TA's own charge or did they claim it was BA's change fees?

Have the TA said why they levied a fee when BA's guidelines the TA should have followed make it clear no change fee is due? If the TA processed this as a voluntary change rather than processing it as an involuntary change following Option 2 of the Cabin closure part of BA's Standard customer guidelines, then this is actually the TA who has cocked up and your beef is with them.

In terms of your involuntary cancellation and refund you were due everything back at that point. However, BA's position is that you are not due back any change fees you paid previously for voluntary changes - and that is not a position which is clearly incompatible with EC261. It has been discussed a few times over the last few months, and there are arguments either way about whether voluntary change fees should be included, but unfortunately there is no clear guidance from the Regulation or case law yet on this point.

So a lot depends on who did what for your cabin downgrade and change, and whether it was done as a voluntary or involuntary change.

EDIT: just to add I am not clear how BA could claw back any more than the value of the chargeback of $200 which you made. If you do a chargeback the card company will examine that and then decided based on your claim whether to apply a credit for the $200 to offset the original charge. The merchant can then provide evidence to your card company to show you are not due the money back, and at that point all the card company will do is apply a debit for the $200 to cancel out their credit. You do have another opportunity to see the evidence BA provided and to reply to that and the card company could then reconsider. I don't see how BA would claw back the rest of the refund you have already received?

Last edited by KARFA; Jul 13, 2020 at 4:38 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.