Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC
Hi All, I posted a few months back regarding a flight booking paid for and then upgraded with Avios, which was subsequently cancelled. I ended up with a voucher when the flight was cancelled, which I didn't ask for, but due to which meant I needed to log a complaint in order to process a refund. I have today received an email from BA to confirm they are refunding the Avios to my account, and that 'taxes, fees and carrier imposed charges will also be refunded, but the standard redemption cancellation fees will be charged.'

Does this mean that even though the flight was cancelled, and I booked the cash portion as a standard flight, because of the upgrade using Avios for one leg it is treated as a reward flight and a cancellation fee (£35?) per person applies? This doesn't seem fair as that will be a £105 charge for a cancelled flight? Am I missing something really obvious here?
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:50 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by dadio77
Hi All, I posted a few months back regarding a flight booking paid for and then upgraded with Avios, which was subsequently cancelled. I ended up with a voucher when the flight was cancelled, which I didn't ask for, but due to which meant I needed to log a complaint in order to process a refund. I have today received an email from BA to confirm they are refunding the Avios to my account, and that 'taxes, fees and carrier imposed charges will also be refunded, but the standard redemption cancellation fees will be charged.'

Does this mean that even though the flight was cancelled, and I booked the cash portion as a standard flight, because of the upgrade using Avios for one leg it is treated as a reward flight and a cancellation fee (£35?) per person applies? This doesn't seem fair as that will be a £105 charge for a cancelled flight? Am I missing something really obvious here?
If the flight was cancelled prior to your request to BA to cancel then you should not be charged the cancellation fees.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 6:54 am

thanks KARFA, maybe it's a standard response, or i will need to kick off the process again (but for a much lower value), but i'll wait to see what the refund value is - i just noticed that i still need to call to get the refund - which i've been doing since March! so may find out more then....
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dadio77
Originally Posted by KARFA
If the flight was cancelled prior to your request to BA to cancel then you should not be charged the cancellation fees.
What seems to have happened here is that BA have used a recent policy change in respect of Avios bookings and used it on your UuA. The policy change was because irrepective of cancellation status, people can cancel their Avios redemption (and UuA) up to 24 hours before cancellation anyway, so many found themselves with FTVs which were more applicable for commercial flights, with restricted tickets, which were at that point still operating. Redemption and UuA always had a refund flexibility.

The essential argument is that only those who asked for FTVs got them. In this thread there are only 2 cases of people who believe they did not claim the FTV but got one anyway, hence the policy change relates more to those who applied for FTVs by mistake. If you are totally certain that you did not apply for the FTV then you have remedies in law to recover your money in full (Chargeback, Section 75 and EC261 all in play). But if you did apply for the FTV then at least that would preserve the value of booking in full. BA won't change their minds if they have reached a settled position, so if you want to take it further you need to ask BA for a "our answer will not change" letter from BA, so you can take it to CEDR or MCOL.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
What seems to have happened here is that BA have used a recent policy change in respect of Avios bookings and used it on your UuA. The policy change was because irrepective of cancellation status, people can cancel their Avios redemption (and UuA) up to 24 hours before cancellation anyway, so many found themselves with FTVs which were more applicable for commercial flights, with restricted tickets, which were at that point still operating. Redemption and UuA always had a refund flexibility.

The essential argument is that only those who asked for FTVs got them. In this thread there are only 2 cases of people who believe they did not claim the FTV but got one anyway, hence the policy change relates more to those who applied for FTVs by mistake. If you are totally certain that you did not apply for the FTV then you have remedies in law to recover your money in full (Chargeback, Section 75 and EC261 all in play). But if you did apply for the FTV then at least that would preserve the value of booking in full. BA won't change their minds if they have reached a settled position, so if you want to take it further you need to ask BA for a "our answer will not change" letter from BA, so you can take it to CEDR or MCOL.
I was surprised as I recall asking for advice on here back in March and deciding to just wait until things clear up, then I had an email with a voucher number! This was disappointing but financial circumstances dictate that the refund in cash is a more pressing concern than future travel so I have tried to pursue for two months now.

I just called re the refund and spoke to the most helpful BA employee so far (Gayle in Manchester!) who advised me that the complaint handler is based in India and has put no notes on the system following her email, so the refund still can't be processed! Gayle is continuing to look into this and will call me with an update but she thinks her colleague may have finished for the day.

So the saga continues - I have a Section 75 claim in an envelope ready to go but will wait now to see how this pans out - looks like I may still need it depending on how hard BA dig in.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 8:02 am

If I book a BA holiday today for travel on 19th July (flight & car), and then I wish to cancel or change the dates, how much notice do i have to give, I read somewhere about 3 weeks notice, is that correct? Thanks
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
My SIL received an email from Iberia stating that the outbound leg of an 075 stock MAD-LAX on IB/SAN-LHR on BA itinerary had been cancelled. I’m going to go the refund route here. The BA flight is still showing as operating, though I expect that to change July 1 when BA perform their monthly cull, so am I OK to cancel now and request the refund and also request a refund of the BA seat reservation fee, or is it best to wait until BA officially cancel their flight to SAN?

I had honestly thought that BA would be the first to cancel, so I was surprised to see the email from Iberia. They have now officially cancelled the MAD-LAX flights though until mid Aug (though flights after this date are zeroed out)
Old Jun 18, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: OW
I booked ABC-LGW with Avios which has been cancelled by BA and automatically rebooked (with the same flight number and identical flight time) to ABC-LHR.

Is there any way to cancel this for free? I'm being told it's either a voucher or voluntary cancellation, which doesn't seem fair as I never accepted the change (as indicated I needed to do in the cancellation email I received).
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA; SELECT TA; BAEC Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond; IHG Plantinum Amb
Originally Posted by eh220160
I booked ABC-LGW with Avios which has been cancelled by BA and automatically rebooked (with the same flight number and identical flight time) to ABC-LHR.

Is there any way to cancel this for free? I'm being told it's either a voucher or voluntary cancellation, which doesn't seem fair as I never accepted the change (as indicated I needed to do in the cancellation email I received).
I had a LCY-IOM return that was cancelled and rebooked automatically to LHR-IOM (same flight number and, I think, same timings). Even though I was automatically rebooked, because the flight I booked originally was cancelled I was able to get a full refund via the contact centre.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:10 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
Originally Posted by eh220160

Just call, they will refund you with no issues.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: OW
Originally Posted by lewincg
I had a LCY-IOM return that was cancelled and rebooked automatically to LHR-IOM (same flight number and, I think, same timings). Even though I was automatically rebooked, because the flight I booked originally was cancelled I was able to get a full refund via the contact centre.
Thanks, after some time on the phone arguing with BA I have managed to do the same - they didn't make it easy! Apparently it's a new policy not to offer a full refund but was relaxed in my case as I booked using Avios apparently.
Old Jun 18, 2020, 3:10 pm

I have a cash booking made on the BA website, BA stock, but containing 4 Iberia flights and no other flight (in particular no BA flight). One of the IB flights has just been cancelled. Do I have the same options as usual (ie as when BA cancels one of their flights) to get a refund or rebook even if the flight cancelled is an IB one? And if yes, for rebooking options, would BA let me generously rebook to any date where there is availability, as long as it is before the end of the validity of the ticket? Thank you for your advice...
Old Jun 19, 2020, 6:27 am

19th July from Manchester- back to T3 it seems We would like to inform you that British Airways flights will continue to arrive at Manchester Airport Terminal 3 and not Terminal 1 as previously advised. We apologise for any confusion this may cause.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:12 am

currently on phone to BA to book a holiday on 3rd July partly with vouchers, they are refusing to take booking as they say i will be refused boarding if not essential travel, yet it seems you can book on line, anybody come across this
Old Jun 19, 2020, 11:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Stephen Harwood
currently on phone to BA to book a holiday on 3rd July partly with vouchers, they are refusing to take booking as they say i will be refused boarding if not essential travel, yet it seems you can book on line, anybody come across this
Which destination is this? There isn't a general restriciton to essential travel only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.