Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
I thought the below was quite clear and concise and may help some in terms of their rights. It was reported on the BBC in response to some listeners questions.

What are my rights?

• If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a full refund to the original form of payment within seven days, although many airlines will be struggling to meet that deadline. You can accept, or refuse, vouchers or a rebooking but a voucher will probably be invalid if the airline later goes bust
  • If you decide against going on a future flight, which is not yet cancelled, then there is no right to a refund. Different airlines have different rules over what you can do but many are waiving any charges for changing to a later flight or having a voucher instead. Your travel insurance may, or may not, cover you
  • If you are stuck in the EU and a UK or EU carrier is not rerouting or helping you, you should be able to come home on any airline you can and bill the original airline for the new ticket. The airline is legally obliged to get you home and they should be rerouting you themselves. If they are failing to do that, they are responsible for the cost of getting you home. But you should not cancel and accept a refund as this ends the airline's duty of care towards you and you won't be able to claim anything back. It is best to pay by credit card, for the back-up option to claim from your card provider
  • If you have a package holiday, then a refund should be provided for the whole holiday within 14 days
Can you insist that they rebook you if it is cancelled? AA have cancelled mine with no rebooking option but I want to fly (if I can)
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:24 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ChemicalWoody
Oh dear. We have a return flight from Gatwick to Gran Canaria in September (Club Europe with Avios & Companion Voucher) now cancelled.
1) As the other Canary Islands are within 300 miles, does that mean we can rebook on the same dates to Tenerife (say) with no need for Avios availability?
2) Alternatively, can we request to be transferred to an Iberia flight to Gran Canaria via Madrid on the same dates, under EU261? Is this easy to do in practice by phoning up?
Thanks
Both should be available, though the 300 mile rule, if strictly appied, is for the Standard Guidelines, -3 to + 14 days of the original travel. Switching to Ibieria is also allowed. You may want to watch to see if a LHR option appears, though it seems unlilely.
ChemicalWoody likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Barnaby100
Can you insist that they rebook you if it is cancelled? AA have cancelled mine with no rebooking option but I want to fly (if I can)
If it's a BA ticket there may be alternative options, which depends on the details. If it's an AA ticket then AA's rules apply, but for Europe to North America, in that direction, AA are also bound by EC261.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:24 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Ronin - churn and burn
Originally Posted by KARFA
although this may not help you now, i think your example highlights a very important point which i have mentioned a few times.

after flights in a booking are cancelled, if you can move your flights on MMB via the disruption screen to a date you want beyond ticket validity, you should absolutely do that. as noted phone agents will generally stick to the guidelines (although sometimes you can get lucky) but sometimes will just let you do it. if it doesn't re-ticket properly after the online change you can then call just to get that bit done, much harder for them to say no to the new dates if MMB has accepted the changes.
This unfortunately, is exactly what I suspected. I just couldn't make the MMB dates work due to the volume of other cancelled and rebooked flights sitting in my calendar for next year!

I'll have a go on the phone and report back as soon as I find out either way.
KARFA likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jermyn
This unfortunately, is exactly what I suspected. I just couldn't make the MMB dates work due to the volume of other cancelled and rebooked flights sitting in my calendar for next year!

I'll have a go on the phone and report back as soon as I find out either way.
I couldn't get online to work, so tried over the phone but they were sticking to the rules. I went for a refund instead as cash is king Vs a FTV.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
A question has arisen due to the new(ish) Quarantine of the UK.

I have an Avios booking 02Oct - CPH LHR, 03Oct LGW PMI, 10Oct PMI LGW, 11Oct LHR CPH
The overnight is intentional as I will be travelling with my 86-year old mother and I want to minimize any stress to her.
Should I call and ask if they would consider switching the flights to/from PMI to be LHR instead of LGW, or will that airport transfer not be an issue? (I know this might change....)

We are both EU (non-UK) citizens.

Thank you for your thoughts.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by LCSinTexas
I have an Avios booking 02Oct - CPH LHR, 03Oct LGW PMI, 10Oct PMI LGW, 11Oct LHR CPH
The overnight is intentional as I will be travelling with my 86-year old mother and I want to minimize any stress to her.
This is fine by the self-isolation Statutory Instrument, the period of self isolation is 14 days, or when you leave England, which ever is shorter. So a single night, twice over, is fine. If the regulations are still in place, you would be required to self isolate at your hotel (presumably) and you are only supposed to go out for essentials such as food. Also you would be required to leave England directly, and not make a visit to say Windsor Castle or anything like that. There is a lot of chatter about air corridors being open either at the end of June or the middle of July, I would hope by October we will be well past that stage.

Much more information, including the legal texts concerned, is to be found in the relevant thread in the Coronavirus Forum.
layz and LCSinTexas like this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:01 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott GFL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This is fine by the self-isolation Statutory Instrument, the period of self isolation is 14 days, or when you leave England, which ever is shorter. So a single night, twice over, is fine. If the regulations are still in place, you would be required to self isolate at your hotel (presumably) and you are only supposed to go out for essentials such as food. Also you would be required to leave England directly, and not make a visit to say Windsor Castle or anything like that. There is a lot of chatter about air corridors being open either at the end of June or the middle of July, I would hope by October we will be well past that stage.

Much more information, including the legal texts concerned, is to be found in the relevant thread in the Coronavirus Forum.
Thank you, but my main concern is the transit between the airports -(was thinking of using Airport Express buss) would it be ok?

LcS
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:05 pm

Thank you, but my main concern is the transit between the airports -(was thinking of using Airport Express buss) would it be ok?
The Regulations make no reference to internal transport, so that is fine. HMG - in a non legislative capacity - has advised people to use private cars, or cars from the household with whom you would be staying, and thus avoid public transport, but that would clearly be infeasible in your case. So the National Express service would not be a problem.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 2:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
A question has arisen due to the new(ish) Quarantine of the UK.
I doubt the quarantine will be in place for very much longer in its present form anyway.
LCSinTexas likes this.
Old Jun 10, 2020, 9:22 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moral_low_ground
If your flight is cancelled, you are entitled to a full refund to the original form of payment within seven days, although many airlines will be struggling to meet that deadline.
But what can you do in practice? A friend requested a refund in early April for a BA partner award flight that was cancelled. No redeposit of miles or refund of money yet. (There was a second, later flight, which was processed after about 7 weeks.)
Old Jun 10, 2020, 10:48 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kremmen
But what can you do in practice? A friend requested a refund in early April for a BA partner award flight that was cancelled. No redeposit of miles or refund of money yet. (There was a second, later flight, which was processed after about 7 weeks.)
that’s certainly not been my experience in practice, and I have done maybe 10-20 refunds so far. the vast majority were refunded back within a few days.

is your friend on FT? If so they can send a PM to BA refund helper who is a BA rep and can look in to refunds where they are taking over 2 weeks.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I have a flight booked LHR-SIN on 07 July. I have no great desire to fly at the moment but BA is still showing it as scheduled. My problem is that even if I wanted to fly, BA would presumably deny me boarding as I am not allowed into Singapore on my resident pass as I am not an essential worker. Any advice? It's the first leg of a Lloyds upgrade flight and id like to keep the second leg as it's coming back to the UK at Xmas. Thanks.
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:38 am

I'm still waiting for a refund for a BA Holidays trip that they cancelled on 7 April. The email said refund in 7-10 days - it's now some 60 days. I can't get through on the phone and BA refund helper can't help with holiday trips. Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do?
Old Jun 11, 2020, 5:55 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
I had a BWC voucher for a flight and rebooked in March as the sale was ending and November seemed a long time away. Anyway, am I allowed to cancel that for another voucher so I can change it to next year?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.