Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2020, 11:36 am

Programs: BAEC
I want to see if I understand most of what has been written in this thread, so please bear with me.
I purchased F class PHX-LHR-PHX on 16/11/2019 for travel beginning 27/10/2020 ending 04/11/2020. (I am confident that this will happen).
If, for some reason BA should cancel the flight I have three options:
1. Cash refund
2. Future Travel Voucher
3. Reschedule flight.

Nr 1 totally and completely understand. Nr 2 Is valid until a future date (for those currently it is in 2022). Nr 3 If I reschedule, I have to use the tickets prior to 16/11/2020 (end of one year validitiy), which would be about 2.5 weeks from my original travel dates.

Am I correct in my understanding of how things are currently happening?
Old May 18, 2020, 11:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BXK_Oz
If, for some reason BA should cancel the flight I have three options:
1. Cash refund
2. Future Travel Voucher
3. Reschedule flight.
Yes and the cash refund would be the best outcome. The reschedule option is too limited for you really since you booked so far in advance. However the cash refund may be better since generally the best fares come up at about 6 weeks before departure. This all assumes that the current policies are still running in October, when they have changed radically in the last month, so I am not sure how we can advance matters. But I also tend to take the view, given the most recent European data and knowing that the USA is a few weeks further down the line, that by October things should be running OK. I think it would only take a terrible second peak wave to unsettle that, which is certainly possible, but there are now about 20 European monitoring entities on a hair's trigger on that one, so hopefully unlikely at the European end, I'm less confident about the USA end.
Old May 18, 2020, 1:52 pm

I have a somewhat unusual situation: I booked my flight LHR-YYZ in May 2019 for departure January 2020 and return April 2020.

I flew the outbound and BA cancelled the return.

I applied for a voucher through the website and a few weeks later received an email saying (emphasis mine):
We have received your Future Travel Voucher application, unfortunately, your booking is not eligible for a voucher as you have already started your journey.

We have however updated your reservation accordingly, keeping the remaining part of your ticket open for future use. When you are ready to rebook, please contact the British Airways contact centre who will be able to make the change to your booking. Please retain your booking reference as well as your ticket number(s).
I called today to enquire about the possibility of a refund, but the agent told me it's not possible since the ticket has already been converted to a voucher, valid till one year from the outbound date (i.e. January 2021), not the 2022 dates available for other vouchers, nor the open-ended "future use" specified in the email.

I would have been happy with a 2022 voucher or a refund, but it seems I don't get either?

Last edited by keepclimbing; May 18, 2020 at 2:05 pm
Old May 18, 2020, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by keepclimbing
I
I called today to enquire about the possibility of a refund, but the agent told me it's not possible since the ticket has already been converted to a voucher, valid till one year from the outbound date (i.e. January 2021), not the 2022 dates available for other vouchers, nor the open-ended "future use" specified in the email.
This is somewhat unfortunate. FTVs were never an option for cancelled flights when the first flight has already been taken (as was clear in this forum and in the BA.com guidance), so you should have asked for a refund initially or a rebooking. I suspect the action of asking for a FTV led to your booking being cleared out as a first step and then the system realised you were mid trip without any sectors. So you've ended up in limbo with a voucher of unknown value based on the old system. Furthermore if you want to use it your ticket will have to spend several weeks before it can be issued. Assuming that the 2021 date isn't helpful I'd send a PM to the BA Refund Helper and ask him to see if there is anything that can done about this.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I had used my chase 2-4-1 companion voucher, to book SEA-LHR in June. The flight got canceled, and I opted for FTV - as it was the simplest option. What happens(ed) to the 241, as I dont see it in my EC account? I assumed the FTV will include the avios, and the cash value paid - and that 241 will be back in my account. Am I wrong?
Old May 18, 2020, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by harishv79
I had used my chase 2-4-1 companion voucher, to book SEA-LHR in June. The flight got canceled, and I opted for FTV - as it was the simplest option. What happens(ed) to the 241, as I dont see it in my EC account? I assumed the FTV will include the avios, and the cash value paid - and that 241 will be back in my account. Am I wrong?
Yes. The avios, cash, and 241 remain as part of the FTV.
cbagent and KARFA like this.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:27 pm

Apologies if this has been asked previously but has anyone had any experience of a BA flight being cancelled and opting to get rebooked onto an equivalent flight on the same or a near date?

I have LHR-SYD booked towards the end of July and of course no idea if this is likely to go ahead, but the chances are I will need to travel (work relocation that amazingly is still looking likely to go ahead) so would want to be rebooked then and not a refund, travel voucher etc.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by SimonP
Apologies if this has been asked previously but has anyone had any experience of a BA flight being cancelled and opting to get rebooked onto an equivalent flight on the same or a near date?

I have LHR-SYD booked towards the end of July and of course no idea if this is likely to go ahead, but the chances are I will need to travel (work relocation that amazingly is still looking likely to go ahead) so would want to be rebooked then and not a refund, travel voucher etc.
Yes, there are plenty of examples upthread. Basically you are allowed to rebook for 1 year from ticket issue, which is typically a few days after you bought the ticket originally. See the wiki for more information. It will require BA to cancel the flight. I would query the value of rebooking since BA is cancelling in waves so you may well end up constantly repeating the exercise, but you may prefer to do that.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, there are plenty of examples upthread. Basically you are allowed to rebook for 1 year from ticket issue, which is typically a few days after you bought the ticket originally. See the wiki for more information. It will require BA to cancel the flight. I would query the value of rebooking since BA is cancelling in waves so you may well end up constantly repeating the exercise, but you may prefer to do that.
Hi there. Thanks for the rapid reply but I don't think this is the exact circumstance I was describing. I meant that if LHR-SYD is cancelled on say 22 July, but I still want to travel on or as close as possible to 22 July, has anyone got BA to rebook them onto another carrier that is still operating that route.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Hi there. Thanks for the rapid reply but I don't think this is the exact circumstance I was describing. I meant that if LHR-SYD is cancelled on say 22 July, but I still want to travel on or as close as possible to 22 July, has anyone got BA to rebook them onto another carrier that is still operating that route.
There is currently a rebooking agreement with Qatar Airways however unfortunately that only covers flights up to the end of June. It is possible that it gets extended but I think that it will depend on what the situation is closer to the date.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by wilsnunn
There is currently a rebooking agreement with Qatar Airways however unfortunately that only covers flights up to the end of June. It is possible that it gets extended but I think that it will depend on what the situation is closer to the date.
Ok thanks that's helpful to know. I'm aware that under EU261 they're obliged to reroute if preferred but was curious to know if this is actually happening and if BA are putting up much of a fight to do so.
Old May 18, 2020, 2:58 pm

Ah OK, apart from Qatar and any other BA codeshares on other services (notably CX) still working, then booking on to other airlines - e.g. Qantas - would tend occur if there was a very late cancellation, so a day or two from departure. Plus any interlining deal BA has made (Qatar and Lufthansa spring to mind). If the flight is cancelled several weeks in advance the usual presumption is that have the time to come up with other alternatives yourself. So you may need to consider taking the cash and rebooking the best you can. By all means ask, but I wouldn't expect a positive answer if the cancellation is (say) 3 weeks out.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:07 pm

Ah OK, apart from Qatar and any other BA codeshares on other services (notably CX) still working, then booking on to other airlines - e.g. Qantas - would tend occur if there was a very late cancellation, so a day or two from departure. Plus any interlining deal BA has made (Qatar and Lufthansa spring to mind). If the flight is cancelled several weeks in advance the usual presumption is that have the time to come up with other alternatives yourself. So you may need to consider taking the cash and rebooking the best you can. By all means ask, but I wouldn't expect a positive answer if the cancellation is (say) 3 weeks out.
Does the "usual presumption of having sufficient time" actually hold any water with regard EU261? While I appreciate these are not normal times, I didn't think there were any notification period bands determining the choices a passenger had for a cancelled flight, so if it's cancelled weeks before, I can still opt to get rerouted even if there may be time to find my own alternative?
Old May 18, 2020, 3:20 pm

Does the "usual presumption of having sufficient time" actually hold any water with regard EU261? While I appreciate these are not normal times, I didn't think there were any notification period bands determining the choices a passenger had for a cancelled flight, so if it's cancelled weeks before, I can still opt to get rerouted even if there may be time to find my own alternative?
EC261 wasn't written with current circumstances in mind, and to the best of my knowledge there isn't any senior appellate precedent that definitely confirms that you can insist on another airline in this scenario. The Regulation just says "earliest opportunity", which airlines believe means "earliest opportunity on one of our services", whereas many consumers would believe it should be "earliest opportunity on any flight". Until that gets tested at a senior court you can't really rely on this to help you, in my opinion. It's certainly worth a conversation with BA after cancellation to see if they can rig up some codeshare route through for you, but mentioning EC261 won't help.
Old May 18, 2020, 3:26 pm

EC261 wasn't written with current circumstances in mind, and to the best of my knowledge there isn't any senior appellate precedent that definitely confirms that you can insist on another airline in this scenario. The Regulation just says "earliest opportunity", which airlines believe means "earliest opportunity on one of our services", whereas many consumers would believe it should be "earliest opportunity on any flight". Until that gets tested at a senior court you can't really rely on this to help you, in my opinion. It's certainly worth a conversation with BA after cancellation to see if they can rig up some codeshare route through for you, but mentioning EC261 won't help.
Cool thanks that makes sense. If they've gone to the trouble of having some sort of agreement with Qatar currently then this offers some hope and July is a while off yet, just have to see what happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.