Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
As a data point, I had a BA Holidays booking scheduled for end of May (posted previously in this thread about it) - one of the international flights was cancelled, and BA Holidays then emailed me saying they couldn't fulfil the itinerary and would be issuing a full refund; sure enough it appeared on my card a week or so later. I hadn't contacted them at any point (or at least, I hadn't managed to get through!)
Old Apr 28, 2020, 5:33 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Southwest Rapid Rewards
I want to thank British Airways for their very positive response to the COVID-19 situation. I am now totally happy to take a voucher instead of a refund, if my flight is canceled. Currently only cancelations for flights departing through 31 July 2020 are entitled to the vouchers expiring in April 2022. I think they should also make that extension for any event canceled because of COVID-19. The Oktoberfest people are still left out of this I think. Oktoberfest was canceled, but the flights to Oktoberfest are still not canceled.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:55 pm

Hi, sorry if this has been answered but how long is BA taking to process refunds? We got our refund confirmation on April 1 but still no funds. There is no answer on the refund butter they give +442032500145.

I don't want to wait too long in case we can't initiate a chargeback but we do have a refund confirmation email, just not the actual funds. Thank you.
Old Apr 28, 2020, 8:58 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by HGPilot
Hi, sorry if this has been answered but how long is BA taking to process refunds? We got our refund confirmation on April 1 but still no funds. There is no answer on the refund butter they give +442032500145.

I don't want to wait too long in case we can't initiate a chargeback but we do have a refund confirmation email, just not the actual funds. Thank you.
Some people have said their refund credit showed up on their credit card within one week. They generally apply the credit to the original form of payment. Sometimes if a credit card number changes in the process it can be a problem. If you are waiting for a check, I am sure the process will take a lot longer.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 5:58 am

Programs: BAEC
System Down

Heads up the refund system is currently down; expected to be back up and running early afternoon.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:05 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
In need of some advice.

I have an itinerary booked through AA.com. The first and last sectors are BA INV-LHR.....LHR-INV. BA emailed today, referencing my shadow BA PNR to tell me these sectors are cancelled. They tell me to go online to MMB or call up to get a refund. I assume this is not what I should actually do, as I didn’t pay BA anything, and that I should go through AA to get the refund for the whole itinerary?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:08 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
I have an itinerary booked through AA.com. The first and last sectors are BA INV-LHR.....LHR-INV. BA emailed today, referencing my shadow BA PNR to tell me these sectors are cancelled. They tell me to go online to MMB or call up to get a refund. I assume this is not what I should actually do, as I didnt pay BA anything, and that I should go through AA to get the refund for the whole itinerary?
Yes, this is purely one for AA's policies and procedures. AA may well not know about the INV/NCL (etc) cancellations, so you will need to be pro-active and contact them to see what their options are. For flights departing from Europe you would still have EC261 protection, but for the return you can't make that assumption.
Heathrow Tower likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Heathrow Tower
In need of some advice.

I have an itinerary booked through AA.com. The first and last sectors are BA INV-LHR.....LHR-INV. BA emailed today, referencing my shadow BA PNR to tell me these sectors are cancelled. They tell me to go online to MMB or call up to get a refund. I assume this is not what I should actually do, as I didnt pay BA anything, and that I should go through AA to get the refund for the whole itinerary?
In addition to corporate-wage-slave , I could tell you that, it would take a minimum of 3 days for AA to see the cancellation for a BA flight.
You could go to prefunds.aa.com and request a refund with your e-ticket number by filling a form over there. This was what the AA hotline suggested to me when my AA marketed BA flight was canceled but not appeared on their system. To be exact, in 7 business days, I had my full refund appearing on my credit card statement.
Heathrow Tower likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 6:41 am

I received cancellation emails for my flights to Vienna in June this morning. Got through to BA first ring and only a 5 minute hold time and refunds processed very painlessly. I received refund confirmation emails straight away and also notice in MMB that flight is cancelled.

I asked also if they could look into a previous booking I had cancelled 12 days ago as I never received an email. Apparently the person i spoke with 2 weeks ago was trained to take calls but not on processing refunds so it had been put in a queue for back office (and still hadn't been dealt with) but the very helpful person I spoke with this morning was able to quickly process that for me (with email right away and also cancellation notice in MMB).

So it seems that when you call in that if you are not getting an email right away you're probably speaking with the team that cannot actually do anything and your request goes into a queue (which from my experience is at least 12 days long), whereas if you get lucky and speak with someone who's trained to do refunds it will be done right away!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 7:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Gold, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Mark_Orlando
I want to thank British Airways for their very positive response to the COVID-19 situation. I am now totally happy to take a voucher instead of a refund, if my flight is canceled. Currently only cancelations for flights departing through 31 July 2020 are entitled to the vouchers expiring in April 2022. I think they should also make that extension for any event canceled because of COVID-19. The Oktoberfest people are still left out of this I think. Oktoberfest was canceled, but the flights to Oktoberfest are still not canceled.
My flights to/from MUC on 20/22 September appeared as cancelled in MMB?
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:00 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
USA Call Center saying "only stay on line if you've been trying for last 30 days?"

Hello FT Gurus,

I have an upcoming booking using Avios and a BA Visa 2for1 voucher on 07 June, and would like to get voucher and miles redeposited, and $$$ refund. I read wiki but still unclear so could someone please advise?

I called the consolidated USA number this morning (the (877) 767-7970‬ number) and after I selected "1" for booking with Avios, got a recorded message (with English accent) saying (abridged) "If you're calling about a refund, we'll get to you as soon as possible. We are experiencing heavy call volume but we will get to you. Currently, we are only helping people who have been trying for the last 30 days. If that is you, please stay on the line." My flight is on 07 June. I certainly don't mind "trying for another 30 days," but also definitely want to get a refund, Avios redeposit, and have the voucher put back in my account. Should I just ignore the notice about having tried for the last 30 days and stay on the line? I want to be respectful. How long can I leave my reservation intact before risking not being able to get refunded/redeposited?

Thanks!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Hello FT Gurus,

I have an upcoming booking using Avios and a BA Visa 2for1 voucher on 07 June, and would like to get voucher and miles redeposited, and $$$ refund. I read wiki but still unclear so could someone please advise?

I called the consolidated USA number this morning (the (877) 767-7970‬ number) and after I selected "1" for booking with Avios, got a recorded message (with English accent) saying (abridged) "If you're calling about a refund, we'll get to you as soon as possible. We are experiencing heavy call volume but we will get to you. Currently, we are only helping people who have been trying for the last 30 days. If that is you, please stay on the line." My flight is on 07 June. I certainly don't mind "trying for another 30 days," but also definitely want to get a refund, Avios redeposit, and have the voucher put back in my account. Should I just ignore the notice about having tried for the last 30 days and stay on the line? I want to be respectful. How long can I leave my reservation intact before risking not being able to get refunded/redeposited?

Thanks!
Is your flight cancelled?, if not then your options are either to take the voucher today, call today and pay a cancellation fee (35) or wait until the flight is cancelled then you can call and ask for a refund with no fee.

I would also ignore the 30 days message as I just called today and got a refund on a flight that is not scheduled until 2nd June (which BA have cancelled)

Last edited by travellingowl; Apr 29, 2020 at 8:09 am Reason: added response about 30 days
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:11 am

Sorry - no flight not cancelled. Okay so ignore message. Do you know what the minimum time is to before departure you have to cancel though getting penalized? Is it 72 hours?

Thanks again!
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:12 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Sorry - no flight not cancelled. Okay so ignore message. Do you know what the minimum time is to before departure you have to cancel though getting penalized? Is it 72 hours?

Thanks again!
It is 24 hours before.
matinicus rock likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
It is 24 hours before.
KARFA Thank you, and thanks to FT -- I can't tell you all how much I learn from these threads every time I come on.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.