Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2020, 5:50 pm
formerly Guanran Wang

Programs: Alaska, BAEC, Asiana, Aegean, Enrich, Marriott/SPG, Hilton
Hi all, I have two questions after processing my voucher:
1. If I applied a voucher on my original booking that I have now used to claim for a new voucher, the new voucher should contain the value of my payment total in the booking (old voucher value+the amount I paid), right? (see image attached)
2. If I'm not mistaken. BA vouchers are always issued in the original payment currency in the cancelled booking and will only be converted to another currency (if required) when used on a new booking?

Old Apr 26, 2020, 6:45 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
I am writing this post in praise of BA's handling of my tickets on which flights were cancelled. I am quite happy with the way they have handled it, I must say.
I had to change two tickets (the third one will need to be changed soon). One of them, I had already flown the outbound, so I was pretty sure, I wouldn't have to pay anything to rebook it for dates in the futures. And indeed there was no issue.
The second one, I had not read details about BA's policy but thought that since the outbound had not been flown, it would be more painful, with having to re-fare it for the new dates. But instead, I had the same very friendly and professional rebooking and the ticket was re-issued without fuss, including the fact that it had been GUF upgraded.
Thanks BA and even more thanks to the friendly and professional staff who are doing the work in these strange times!
Old Apr 26, 2020, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA BA
We are trying to get refunds for seat selection charges for a flight from LHR to ARN. The flight was reserved through one world code share, which was cancelled because of the current corona virus pandemic. We cannot use vouchers, so If BA only offers vouchers, we will be out the money paid directly to BA for the seat selections. The only procedure we can find to seek refunds is through calling BA, but that requires getting through to BA on the phone, which from the posts above may be difficult. I see that some people have contacted BA via Twitter, so we may try that if we cannot get through to BA on the telephone. Question: Does anyone know whether BA is declining to refund money for seat selection charges?
Old Apr 26, 2020, 8:09 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Seaotter219
We are trying to get refunds for seat selection charges for a flight from LHR to ARN. The flight was reserved through one world code share, which was cancelled because of the current corona virus pandemic. We cannot use vouchers, so If BA only offers vouchers, we will be out the money paid directly to BA for the seat selections. The only procedure we can find to seek refunds is through calling BA, but that requires getting through to BA on the phone, which from the posts above may be difficult. I see that some people have contacted BA via Twitter, so we may try that if we cannot get through to BA on the telephone. Question: Does anyone know whether BA is declining to refund money for seat selection charges?
If your flight was cancelled you should get the seat selection fee back. People are getting through on the phone so do try. However there is also an online form for seat fees here https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...es-and-refunds in the Refunds section.
Old Apr 26, 2020, 10:50 pm

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, I've dug a bit more. There was a HND showing on the T5 departure screens but I suspect it is freight only. BA4609 is a codeshare operated by JAL, and that's runs about 5 days a week until the end of May. BA resume 1 June (or rather 2 June from TOK).

However if you are OK to go to BCN or MAD, then I think BA can rebook that for you now, the complication being that I don't think a ticket to Spain would be under the joint business arrangement, but they should get you to London at least. Vueling are still operating BCN-ALC. BA don't have a codeshare on that, so you may have to pay that and reclaim aftewards. LGW is blocked to end of May realistically.
Thank you.

That makes more sense. If they fly me to London that would be enough as I can just buy Iberia tickets to MAD or BCN and then drive a rental car.

I was originally going to spend one night in LHR in order to get on a morning plane to Madrid but I’ve seen news of a mandated quarantine in the UK. I guess it’s too risky and I should try to fly Madrid at once?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 2:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by sodaisei
I was originally going to spend one night in LHR in order to get on a morning plane to Madrid but I’ve seen news of a mandated quarantine in the UK. I guess it’s too risky and I should try to fly Madrid at once?
The press reports over the weekend were from an internal options paper being circulated within government, the bits that got left off included doing nothing, linking it in with testing when capacity allows, self isolation and including travellers in PHE's new (in fact not yet established) track and trace mechanism. No decision has been made and I wouldn't expect to see a decision much before Friday, it's more likely next week for various reasons. But I doubt it would seriously hinder your travel either way. For other reasons it's probably best to work on the basis of immediate connection to Spain, however, notably in terms of certainty of arrangements. But getting from UK to Spain isn't particularly problematic at the moment, other than the lack of choice. So there shouldn't be anything to stop you planning your travel now, if you wanted to leave in the next few days, but things could change thereafter given there are so many moving parts.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 3:59 am

Programs: Exec Club
Well as expected, 2 days after offering me a preemptive voucher for future travel, the domestic leg of my holiday has been cancelled.

Credit to BA - was on hold for 10 minutes and the agent was brilliant, very clear, processed the refund, explained the timelines. Sounded stressed as hell but understandable.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:11 am

So the June flight cancellation emails have started going out. My NCL flights now cancelled throughout June. This route is currently suspended until end June I believe.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
So the June flight cancellation emails have started going out. My NCL flights now cancelled throughout June. This route is currently suspended until end June I believe.
Yep, my 14th June early morning just got cancelled. It was an avios 2 for 1 to BCN. Only option online to cancel says voucher and call centre not taking calls. What voucher will I get as there is no cash value other than tax and obviously 2 for 1 voucher is used?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 5:21 am

Originally Posted by 1210mk2
Yep, my 14th June early morning just got cancelled. It was an avios 2 for 1 to BCN. Only option online to cancel says voucher and call ce ntre not taking calls. What voucher will I get as there is no cash value other than tax and obviously 2 for 1 voucher is used?
Just FYI, I got through third attempt on main 0800 727800 number to request a refund. The phone lines only take so many in a queue, but as I did, you might get through if you try a few times. I tried the silver line but that's closed.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold, TAP Gold
Hello all,

my return flight is on June 29th DPS-HKG-LHR-TXL.
Today the leg DPS-HKG was cancelled, CX cancelled all DPS flights in June.
At the moment I’m stuck in Bangkok and I’d rather wait to make any changes.
Is there and expiration time to alter the booking?
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
My flight on May 5th MEX-LHR has been cancelled. Do I still have to wait until the 72 hours to call for a refund, since it's now a non-existent flight? Since I currently have Gold status, is there any advantage in terms of agent access calling the gold helpline to process the refund? Thanks.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by londinense
My flight on May 5th MEX-LHR has been cancelled. Do I still have to wait until the 72 hours to call for a refund, since it's now a non-existent flight? Since I currently have Gold status, is there any advantage in terms of agent access calling the gold helpline to process the refund? Thanks.
No you don't have to wait now, that restriction is lifted. If you want a full refund you will have to call, you can't do it online, so you may as well call the gold line.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Just FYI, I got through third attempt on main 0800 727800 number to request a refund. The phone lines only take so many in a queue, but as I did, you might get through if you try a few times. I tried the silver line but that's closed.
Il keep trying. Im not sure if me selecting the avios option makes any difference, but it's just saying busy call back.
Old Apr 27, 2020, 10:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Lloyds Upgrade Voucher - outbound flown

I haven't seen this scenario addressed above. I have used the Lloyds Upgrade Voucher just before the end of its validity and have taken the outbound flight to the East Coast. My flight back next week is cancelled (which is fine - I'm not in any rush to go to the UK). I assume my options are as follows:

1. Cancel and get a refund of Avios and cash (I assume this will mean I will lose the benefit of the return portion of the voucher as there is no way to retain just that half after the outbound has been flown?).

2. Change the booking to some date in the future. Can be an option, I'm not planning any trips to the UK in the immediate future but will definitely go there later this year/early next year. The only problem is that I assume the ticket will become non-changeable after I make this change (since I have already flown the outbound), so there's limited flexibility which is not great given the lack of visibility with Covid 19.

3. If I take the voucher, is it for a flight in the same cabin on the same route (that would be the best option), or just for the amount of Avios and 'taxes' paid for my flight?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.