Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Apr 25, 2020, 4:55 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
2 trips cancelled by BA. 2 calls for refunds but nothing processed yet

2 trips. Both Reward flights. Cancelled by BA
1) MCO-LGW r/t. in CW
2) LHR - YYZ in F
called twice to have all avios put back and $$ refunded to credit card. Both calls very hard to get through but staff very helpful. For some reason the refund was slightly different ( less) but couldnt be explained. Didnt argue. Said Avios would be in account in 20 mins. $$ would take a few weeks
its been 10 days 2 calls and still no avios. Or money
how long does this take and should I call again
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What was even more idiotic in one sense was that to book fresh flights - I had to call back as the good folk who were helping with the cancellation could not put me through. This may be due to them working from home - but even so it is rather clunky.

I would also add that on two occasions after putting me on hold, the lady dealing with the refund and return of Avios for the cancelled flights, and the lovely man who booked the flights from Valencia (so much cheaper than Alicante) came back and could not hear me. I could hear them, but they could not hear me. Fearful that I had accidently muted the phone I found that this was not the case. In both cases they called me back at once. Once I would have ignored, but twice seemed odd.

Indeed the refund lady told me that they were very quiet yesterday morning (Friday)
This will either be due to a BT network issue (I'm aware of another organisation suffering from this issue, and BT have acknowledged the issue is at their end), or a network issue within BA.
PUCCI GALORE likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:22 am

If I wanted to cancel my mothers place, due to covid, would BA amend or cancel?

Apologies if this has been answered previously; I dont want to tie up the BA helplines as Im only travelling in August, but wanted to see if I could get some advice over possible options.

I currently have a BA holiday booking for my mother and I to go to SF in August, travelling in CW and including hotel and transfers. If borders are reopened up before then, I would be willing to still take the trip, however my older mother is rightfully wary as she is a higher risk category.

Does anyone know if I could change the number of passengers on a booking without cancelling the entire trip? If possible, I would cancel my mothers place and upgrade myself to First. I have a sinking feeling that they will class that as an entire cancellation and I would lose the deposit, etc.

Just wanted to get an idea before I clogged up the phone lines unnecessarily.

Thank you!
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:30 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Originally Posted by Rachel1
Apologies if this has been answered previously; I dont want to tie up the BA helplines as Im only travelling in August, but wanted to see if I could get some advice over possible options.

I currently have a BA holiday booking for my mother and I to go to SF in August, travelling in CW and including hotel and transfers. If borders are reopened up before then, I would be willing to still take the trip, however my older mother is rightfully wary as she is a higher risk category.

Does anyone know if I could change the number of passengers on a booking without cancelling the entire trip? If possible, I would cancel my mothers place and upgrade myself to First. I have a sinking feeling that they will class that as an entire cancellation and I would lose the deposit, etc.

Just wanted to get an idea before I clogged up the phone lines unnecessarily.

Thank you!
If you made the booking recently then you should be covered with the 'book with confidence' guarantee that means you can get a voucher in respect of your deposit. If you booked before March then that will look like a disinclination to travel (assuming flights are reinstated by August). If not then your travel insurance (if purchased before the pandemic declaration) might cover your mother's part of the holiday if it covers when FCO 'don't travel' advice is issued.

A complex answer, but in any case you won't have to pay the holiday balance until the 3 weeks before so you have quite some time to wait before having to make a decision. I'd say it's worth a call to the BA holidays people in a month or so.
Rachel1 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
If you made the booking recently then you should be covered with the 'book with confidence' guarantee that means you can get a voucher in respect of your deposit. If you booked before March then that will look like a disinclination to travel (assuming flights are reinstated by August). If not then your travel insurance (if purchased before the pandemic declaration) might cover your mother's part of the holiday if it covers when FCO 'don't travel' advice is issued.

A complex answer, but in any case you won't have to pay the holiday balance until the 3 weeks before so you have quite some time to wait before having to make a decision. I'd say it's worth a call to the BA holidays people in a month or so.
Thank you, I will do.

ETA: Booked before March, so on the old T&Cs

The only issue I see in leaving it till the balance is due, which is the end of June for our booking, is that if I had to cancel and rebook, the price PP would likely be substantially higher than on the original.

Ah well, just one of those things! Were all heathy, thats the most important thing.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:48 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
2 trips. Both Reward flights. Cancelled by BA
1) MCO-LGW r/t. in CW
2) LHR - YYZ in F
called twice to have all avios put back and $$ refunded to credit card. Both calls very hard to get through but staff very helpful. For some reason the refund was slightly different ( less) but couldnt be explained. Didnt argue. Said Avios would be in account in 20 mins. $$ would take a few weeks
its been 10 days 2 calls and still no avios. Or money
how long does this take and should I call again
Avios should be back in acct straight away sounds like a system has errored in redepositing or an agent error. Just call up and the pts can be put back no worries. Cash side is taking around 21/28 days at moment.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:49 am

Programs: BA Bronze
Apologies as I'm probably going over old ground, but I have two Avios booking, one cancelled by BA and one which I want to cancel.
I understand why BA is trying to avoid cash refunds, but all I want is my Avios back in my account, therefore no cash outflow for BA.
I've now been holding for 15 minutes plus and keep getting the message that it's much more efficient to do use ba.com for various changes. I agree - this is one of the simplest transactions to put through, so why does BA want to waste their staff's time (and mine) by forcing customers like me to do this over the phone when they could be dealing with people with much more pressing issues?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 5:54 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond *, IHG, Couples Romance Rewards
Thank you, I will do.

ETA: Booked before March, so on the old T&Cs

The only issue I see in leaving it till the balance is due, which is the end of June for our booking, is that if I had to cancel and rebook, the price PP would likely be substantially higher than on the original.

Ah well, just one of those things! Were all heathy, thats the most important thing.
FYI Holiday booking full balances are currently only 3 weeks from travel not 6. BA IT might ask you to pay beforehand but if you look at the FAQ's on BA webpage it says 3 weeks. So an August trip would not have to be paid before sometime in July.
Rachel1 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by firstlight
FYI Holiday booking full balances are currently only 3 weeks from travel not 6. BA IT might ask you to pay beforehand but if you look at the FAQ's on BA webpage it says 3 weeks. So an August trip would not have to be paid before sometime in July.
Ill have to double check that, as MMB states 30th June.

ETA: Found it! Cheers.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA Holidays have shifted the final settlement date to 3 weeks before travel for those flying in the near future, and so if there continues to be serious constraints on movement I would expect this to apply for your booking too, thereby moving the decision point until July. One possible scenario is that uniquely for BA Holidays "package bookings" is that you can change the name of the traveller, for an amendment fee which I think is being waived at the moment, so it may work out more cost effective to find someone else to go with you instead. This assumes you live in the UK or EEA. The name change can be done at any stage, however if done in the 48 hours prior to departure the service isn't guaranteed (specifically if the hotel won't allow it at that late stage). I would certainly defer the decision until much nearer the time but it gives you time to think of who else may be able to go with you.
Rachel1 likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:26 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA Holidays have shifted the final settlement date to 3 weeks before travel for those flying in the near future, and so if there continues to be serious constraints on movement I would expect this to apply for your booking too, thereby moving the decision point until July. One possible scenario is that uniquely for BA Holidays "package bookings" is that you can change the name of the traveller, for an amendment fee which I think is being waived at the moment, so it may work out more cost effective to find someone else to go with you instead. This assumes you live in the UK or EEA. The name change can be done at any stage, however if done in the 48 hours prior to departure the service isn't guaranteed (specifically if the hotel won't allow it at that late stage). I would certainly defer the decision until much nearer the time but it gives you time to think of who else may be able to go with you.
Thank you. An option Ill definitely consider.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 6:43 am

BA Holidays - Bravo!

Wanted to share a positive experience today with BA Holidays.

I had a car booking (AVIS) done via BA Hols for May, for a flight that has been cancelled and rescheduled to a later date. I must admit, I completely forgot about the car hire, until I received an SMS from BA holidays, showing the PNR and asking whether I wanted to cancel or refund. Almost without believing it I replied that I wished to receive a refund. Lo and behold, within 5 minutes I received a confirmation of cancellation via SMS and email, with the promise of a refund within 7 days.

My recent experiences with different departments of BA have ranged from the passable to the outrageous but this one is actually quite good. Well done BA Holidays!
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:20 am

I was an idiot and didn't read Flyertalk before self canceling my May trip to London. 😢

I filled out a form and received a voucher that is only good until next May. Is there anything I can do to receive a refund at this point? What if one of the flights that was in my itinerary gets cancelled?
Old Apr 25, 2020, 10:26 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ameskay
I was an idiot and didn't read Flyertalk before self canceling my May trip to London. 😢

I filled out a form and received a voucher that is only good until next May. Is there anything I can do to receive a refund at this point? What if one of the flights that was in my itinerary gets cancelled?
there have been a few isolated reports of people getting vouchers exchanged for refunds when asking on Twitter. Other than that, the policy is not to swap for refunds so unfortunately I think you are stuck with it now.
ameskay likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: Iberia Plus
I have contacted BA via twitter to refund me a AGP-LHR-NCL and rt. for June due to the cancelation of the LHR-NCL portion and everything went through just fine and in 10 minutes everything was finalized. Kudos to the twitter group!
T8191 and ameskay like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.