Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Silver, EK Gold, LH Silver, Hilton Diamond
Just FYI...

My YVR flights were finally notified as cancelled this morning.
Tried calling for refund a couple of times through the day but got kicked out.
Called the Gold line at 1737, through to a rep within a couple of minutes and all sorted within 10 minutes; Avios and extended BA voucher back in account immediately, full refund to card in due course.
Also, checked on my Seville voucher which showed a value of Ł100 base fare plus POUG but only one upgrade out of the 2 purchased. The rep was able to see the other u/g and noted on my account so all good (I hope).
Great final result, well done team BA and team Flyertalk for all the essential info and advice on here.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Bronze, LH
Thanks for that, Purdey. I've seen that some people have been able to email BA although (not surprisingly) BA insists that no refunds can be negotiated via email. And you contacted the Gold line although your status is Silver? My flight in June would have earned me silver status, but that's history now, I suppose. Is there a phone number humble Bronze members may use?
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:35 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Carosa
Thanks for that, Purdey. I've seen that some people have been able to email BA although (not surprisingly) BA insists that no refunds can be negotiated via email. And you contacted the Gold line although your status is Silver? My flight in June would have earned me silver status, but that's history now, I suppose. Is there a phone number humble Bronze members may use?
You should call the German Contact Centre, based in Bremen, the number will be in the Help and Contacts section right at the end of BA.com. From what I've heard, they are picking up almost immediately and have done so for all but a few days in the last 3 months. Bremen doesn't work long hours (I think it is closed Saturday afternoons and Sundays) but your access to that Contact Centre should work to your advantage.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, LH
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You should call the German Contact Centre, based in Bremen, the number will be in the Help and Contacts section right at the end of BA.com. From what I've heard, they are picking up almost immediately and have done so for all but a few days in the last 3 months.
Thanks, I found their number a couple of days ago and then a Frankfurt number today. Wasn't sure which was the best. I'll try the Bremen centre as soon as the situation becomes clear.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Trying to understand my options

So in the past if i had an Avios booking (on AA) that I did not want, I could cancel, lose the $5.60 security fee and the Avios were back in my account instantly.

Now comes the e voucher page, I was able to cancel a couple of bookings using the Javascript hack, but now that does not work for me using Chrome.

What are my options? From reading posts in this thread, it sounds like I would get a voucher for 7500 Avios and $5.60? I don't care about the money and just want the Avios back.

Any advice appreciated. The segments I want to cancel are not until December.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 1:55 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gardener
So in the past if i had an Avios booking (on AA) that I did not want, I could cancel, lose the $5.60 security fee and the Avios were back in my account instantly.

Now comes the e voucher page, I was able to cancel a couple of bookings using the Javascript hack, but now that does not work for me using Chrome.

What are my options? From reading posts in this thread, it sounds like I would get a voucher for 7500 Avios and $5.60? I don't care about the money and just want the Avios back.

call in and cancel if flights aren't until December no rush unless you need the pts back for something else. Hopefully the website might be fixed by then so you can just canx as normal but not holding my breath on that one
Old Apr 20, 2020, 2:02 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gardener

I think if your options are normal cancellation and lose $5.60 or do a FTV then I would suggest you just do the former. As your flight is in December and you will inevitably get an AA retiming/cancellation at some stage I would just wait for that and cancel to get a full refund.
Old Apr 20, 2020, 5:40 pm

Thank you for your suggestions. I sent a polite email to the Director of Brand and Customer Experience at BA narrating my situation with all proofs. I received an apology email from one of their Global Engagement Executives indicating that my impression was not same as theirs and they couldn't do anything about this. I sent a subsequent email to clarify this further to say that the terms were not fully clear when I applied for the voucher. Today, I received a reply where BA agrees to the fact that they recently updated the terms and conditions to add more clarity and also confirmed to me that the previously documented terms were not accurate. That being said, they are still saying that they are unable to change their position once a voucher is created in their system. I thought they would provide me some options that results in a win-win situation, but so far, that does not seem to be the case. They seem to hear all I am saying, their email seem to be polite, but they just won't provide a resolution. I am from Canada and I am not sure about Section 75. I may look at disputing the charges through my credit card company but I still want to see if there are any other options left for me before taking that route. Any thoughts?
Old Apr 21, 2020, 1:56 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by maddy_arr
I am from Canada and I am not sure about Section 75. I may look at disputing the charges through my credit card company but I still want to see if there are any other options left for me before taking that route. Any thoughts?
Your original post is here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32306125-post1678.html
and to summarise, you feel you were misled into accepting the eVoucher because at the time the terms did not clearly state what they now state, namely that the eVoucher is non-transferable. You also bailed out on the flight before it was cancelled, which would have given you more options.

I think you have probably run out of road as far as BA is concerned here, with one possible exception. We still need to see exactly how this works, but we've heard that those who book a cheap booking get the excess "refunded" in the form of another eVoucher, and we're still waiting for some decent data points on what that second eVoucher looks like.

Otherwise you are down to two routes: contacting your credit card company to see whether they will do Section 75 (they may do if it's a large company with significant UK business) or your local version of Chargeback. You probably need to have that conversation fairly soon since there may be time limits involved. It's difficult to be more specific since while there are global schemes for Visa, Mastercard and Amex, there is a local front end to the system and each card company does it their way.

The other route is to look at the small claim system of your Province or Territory, since they all vary. The Québec system tends to work in consumers' favour and BA have lost a number of cases there where it was a balance of judgement area.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:29 am

Programs: BA EC Peasant, AAdvantage Platinum
I'm quite confused by what my options are with cancelling/rebooking, and wonder if someone could point it out to me or tell me where to look. I can't get through to BA, and wanted to know what my options are, etc, before making a decision.

We have some flights booked which is an open jaw LHR-YVR//YYC-LHR return, which is cancelled. Outbound was WTP, return was WTP upgraded with avios to CW. Cheap inflexible sale fare.

I'm aware I can get a cash refund, but currentlly fares are much higher, and really I would just move these flights to April 2021. My questions are
  • Can I do this? (There is no option in MMB, but I suspect this is because it was an open jaw)
  • Must there be Avios availability (there isn't at the moment)?
  • Would this booking changeable under the "Book with COnfidence" policy- am unsure exactly about dates for 2021?
  • Anything else I should think about.
THank you in advance if anyone can help.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 5:56 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by blaknail
I'm quite confused by what my options are with cancelling/rebooking, and wonder if someone could point it out to me or tell me where to look. I can't get through to BA, and wanted to know what my options are, etc, before making a decision.

We have some flights booked which is an open jaw LHR-YVR//YYC-LHR return, which is cancelled. Outbound was WTP, return was WTP upgraded with avios to CW. Cheap inflexible sale fare.

I'm aware I can get a cash refund, but currentlly fares are much higher, and really I would just move these flights to April 2021. My questions are
  • Can I do this? (There is no option in MMB, but I suspect this is because it was an open jaw)
  • Must there be Avios availability (there isn't at the moment)?
  • Would this booking changeable under the "Book with COnfidence" policy- am unsure exactly about dates for 2021?
  • Anything else I should think about.
THank you in advance if anyone can help.
for cancelled flights you can have a free change with no fare difference payable as per conditions of carriage.

up to 3 days before or 14 days after you can rebooked into the cabin you are due to travel in, in any fare bucket available.

after 14 days of date of departure which seems what you are talking about then there has to be availability in the actual fare bucket you are currently booked in
blaknail likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:24 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by canadianhockey91
Thanks for the tip! Hopefully this works.
Just as an update I got my refund 3 weeks after I used the javascript method.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
I have an ex-MXP flight to HND on a couple of weeks, the MXP flights have been cancelled so I could get a refund.

We'd like to rebook for later this year, accepting there's a strong chance that won't happen, but to give us the prospect of positivity.

I'm using Amex Platinum UK insurance and after 3 emails they failed to answer the question, so I hoped someone here would know.

The original Japan trip was covered by Amex Platinum. Is there a way to move the flight and retain the insurance coverage, given any new booking would be not covered due to the FCO advice not to travel.

For example, if we moved dates but kept flight numbers, would we keep our booking reference and PNR, and would that count as the existing booking or as a new one?

I'm assuming that any changes to flight number, or routing, would qualify as a new booking on the basis insurers are keen to not pay...
Old Apr 22, 2020, 2:22 am

Programs: Executive Club 69357999
Rebooking

Due to fly to Johannesburg on 7th May. Received an email this morning advising that the flight may be cancelled. Went to the BA site to rebook for later in the month but got a message "Sorry, it is not possible to change this booking online at the moment. Please call your local British Airways office to resolve an issue that will allow you to make online changes" I called BA repeatedly on 0203 250 0145 and got a recorded message starting with the words "As we looked at the wellbeing of our colleagues first" before advising that the call centre "cannot accept your call at this time". The message then advises me to go back to BA.Com to make changes to my flight. Any suggestions as to how I can rebook my flight?
Old Apr 22, 2020, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by ddrummond
I called BA repeatedly on 0203 250 0145 and got a recorded message starting with the words "As we looked at the wellbeing of our colleagues first" before advising that the call centre "cannot accept your call at this time". The message then advises me to go back to BA.Com to make changes to my flight. Any suggestions as to how I can rebook my flight?
Because there was a wadge of cancellations made yesterday, there was a spike in calls. That message will go away once the queues go down a bit, I am seeing plenty of posts from other FTers who must have spoken to an agent in the last few hours. So keep trying, at some point it will work. Some reports have suggested that queues are shortest at the start and end of the UK working hours.

Welcome to Flyertalk and welcome to the BA forum ddrummond, I hope that we will see more of you in the future.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.