Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Apr 17, 2020, 7:27 am
  #1651  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 425
I just tried calling Avios to use my Lloyds voucher and rebook.

When the system tries to connect me to someone I get the message

ĒThis personsí phone is currently unavailable.
Please try later or send a text.Ē

How can I reach the Avios Team?
let_BAegones_be is offline  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:33 am
  #1652  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, to both questions. For th GUF, it may be easier just to get that re-credited, since unless it's somewhere like JFK or LAX, I don't think anyone can assume that First will be offered on all route / aircraft that currently have it.
Thank you!
The reason I was trying to avoid the refund is that the GUF used had an expiry date of 08 Sep 2019 (which had already been extended from 08 Mar 2019) so I was doubtful about the possibility to have it extended / restarted again.
Unless maybe if I opt to 'freeze' the money and the GUF in a 'voucher'?
FrenchInLondon is offline  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 8:59 am
  #1653  
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 423
Refund request experience (US call center)

Successfully requested a full refund this morning (April 17) for cancelled flights, in case this is a helpful data point. I have no status on BA (OWS through Cathay but flights were for my status-less parents so I don't think status played into anything).
  • Flights booked direct through BA for May 8 departure KUL-LHR-JFK days before *bleep* hit the fan. All BA metal, no codeshare flights
  • Received email notification yesterday (April 16) that the LHR-JFK (BA117) and JFK-LHR (BA178) flights have been cancelled
  • I followed the links through the email that brought me to the page that had a "cancel booking" button, except that only lead to the form to claim the voucher
  • Clicked on the "contact us for a refund" link that brought me to a page with a drop down for country. Selected US since I'm located in the US and got this number, even though the email only included UK and Malaysian numbers: 877-767-7970
  • Called at around 10:10 USA Eastern time (GMT -04:00)
  • After being on hold for ~15 minutes, a very nice and super efficient representative picked up and assisted
  • Asked for my name, email, last 4 digits of card used to purchase, billing address
  • Confirmed amount being refunded, including fee for seat assignments
  • Informed me that because the purchase was made in Malaysian Ringgit, the refund request has to be sent/processed by the back office since he didn't have access to that online
  • Before hanging up, informed me that refund will take 10-12 business days and I will receive an email confirmation once the refund has been processed
  • Total call time once he picked up = 6 minutes.
I was bracing myself for being on hold for hours and having a frustrating experience so this was a pleasant surprise. I'll report back when the refund hits my credit card.

Good luck to all, and stay safe!
suziemay is offline  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 9:58 am
  #1654  
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Posts: 64,884
Originally Posted by FrenchInLondon
Thank you!
The reason I was trying to avoid the refund is that the GUF used had an expiry date of 08 Sep 2019 (which had already been extended from 08 Mar 2019) so I was doubtful about the possibility to have it extended / restarted again.
Unless maybe if I opt to 'freeze' the money and the GUF in a 'voucher'?
I think it would get a 6 month extension from now either way, but I'm not certain, so I need an expert! Hawk777
corporate-wage-slave is online now  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 10:45 am
  #1655  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think it would get a 6 month extension from now either way, but I'm not certain, so I need an expert! Hawk777
yep 6 month Extention to all vouchers
Hawk777 is offline  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:14 am
  #1656  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by Hawk777
yep 6 month Extention to all vouchers
Thank you so much both, just to be clear, for a voucher which has been expired (even a long time ago but of course after the booking was made), it is reset and extended 6 months from the date the booking is cancelled and refunded?
FrenchInLondon is offline  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 11:27 am
  #1657  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by FrenchInLondon
Thank you so much both, just to be clear, for a voucher which has been expired (even a long time ago but of course after the booking was made), it is reset and extended 6 months from the date the booking is cancelled and refunded?
ah right ok let me 100percent check that one then I know 6 months Extention is being put on but obviously that wouldn't be good in your case as 6 months from the date it expired still means it's expired now
FrenchInLondon likes this.
Hawk777 is offline  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 12:15 pm
  #1658  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Posts: 15,945
Originally Posted by FrenchInLondon
Thank you so much both, just to be clear, for a voucher which has been expired (even a long time ago but of course after the booking was made), it is reset and extended 6 months from the date the booking is cancelled and refunded?
Check some of the reports in this thread:
Covid-19 flight cancellations | GUF renewals and extensions
Some have received extensions of expired GUFs so that they are still available to be used in the future (where 6 months from original expiration would not have been helpful). It may require some communication with BA.
FrenchInLondon likes this.
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 1:34 pm
  #1659  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by FrenchInLondon
Thank you so much both, just to be clear, for a voucher which has been expired (even a long time ago but of course after the booking was made), it is reset and extended 6 months from the date the booking is cancelled and refunded?
yep you're best to call up and speak to gold line some are some aren't really it's being done on individual basis so if you call in will give you the option of speaking to a human to get it extended again shouldn't be much of a problem
FrenchInLondon likes this.
Hawk777 is offline  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:46 pm
  #1660  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: London, United Kingdom
Programs: S7 Gold (OW Sapphire), TAP Gold (* Gold), IHG Spire, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Posts: 21
Refund for BA open jaw booking, OUT cancelled, RTN rescheduled

My wife and I were due to fly in early May with BA on the following itinerary:

1ST MAY OUT BA93 dep. LHR 13:10 arr. YYZ 15:55
[Flight now cancelled completely]

9TH MAY RTN BA294 dep. ORD 17:05 arr. LHR 06:50
[Flight rescheduled to. dep. 18:55, arr. 08:40]

My understanding is that we are entitled to a cash refund in accordance with EU261 legislation but that's not possible online and the call centre is not taking calls.

Can you please provide assistance with processing a refund for our booking?

It's WT on outbound, WTP on inbound. However inbound leg was avios upgraded to club so we are due £100pp + 25,000 avios pp back in addition to the original airfare.
KilburnFlyer is offline  
Old Apr 17, 2020, 4:56 pm
  #1661  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 43,684
Originally Posted by KilburnFlyer
My wife and I were due to fly in early May with BA on the following itinerary:

1ST MAY OUT BA93 dep. LHR 13:10 arr. YYZ 15:55
[Flight now cancelled completely]

9TH MAY RTN BA294 dep. ORD 17:05 arr. LHR 06:50
[Flight rescheduled to. dep. 18:55, arr. 08:40]

My understanding is that we are entitled to a cash refund in accordance with EU261 legislation but that's not possible online and the call centre is not taking calls.

Can you please provide assistance with processing a refund for our booking?

It's WT on outbound, WTP on inbound. However inbound leg was avios upgraded to club so we are due £100pp + 25,000 avios pp back in addition to the original airfare.
Hi. You are entitled to a full refund. You will have to call and the call centres are taking calls, the restriction of only calling if your flight is within 72 hours is no more. There are plenty of reports of people getting through on here and the other COVID threads.
KARFA is online now  
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:47 am
  #1662  
dnw
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 5,402
There has been mention here a couple of times of an extension of the standard -3/+14 free rebook policy on cancelled flights to any dates up until 1st August, is this now policy and does it apply to both revenue and Avios bookings? Perhaps Hawk777 could confirm? thanks!

I've had a couple of helpful agents override the standard policy for me in line with this in recent weeks but wondered if it was now official.
dnw is offline  
Old Apr 18, 2020, 6:26 am
  #1663  
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 88
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Check some of the reports in this thread:
Covid-19 flight cancellations | GUF renewals and extensions
Some have received extensions of expired GUFs so that they are still available to be used in the future (where 6 months from original expiration would not have been helpful). It may require some communication with BA.
Originally Posted by Hawk777
ah right ok let me 100percent check that one then I know 6 months Extention is being put on but obviously that wouldn't be good in your case as 6 months from the date it expired still means it's expired now
Originally Posted by Hawk777
yep you're best to call up and speak to gold line some are some aren't really it's being done on individual basis so if you call in will give you the option of speaking to a human to get it extended again shouldn't be much of a problem
Big thank you to all. Called this morning, and a very helpful agent told me I should not be worried: the voucher would be automatically extended did she say (the 'automatically' bit got me worried!) and, if not after 7 days, I could call her back. I was very surprised to receive an email 10 mn after my call and my booking cancellation confirmation email, telling me that my GUF had been extended. They have added 1 year to the previous expiry date (which was Sep 19 and had already been extended by 6 months from Mar 19), so I can use it until Sep 2020. Extremely happy with this outcome and awesome service. Given the short time for this to be done, I have the feeling this was done indeed automatically, but it could also have involved someone in a back office somewhere.
Hawk777 likes this.
FrenchInLondon is offline  
Old Apr 18, 2020, 7:34 am
  #1664  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Programs: Avios, Miles & More
Posts: 14
Voucher for an Amex companion booking

Hi everyone

Apologies if covered earlier but I have an award booking to Bermuda in mid June for a holiday.

I assume it is unlikely to be going ahead as I am not travelling without insurance cover and even if I am allowed to enter Bermuda without quarantining I also need the FCO to change advice.

I know BA is only allowing vouchers for bookings to 31st May but if you refund an Amex companion booking what happens? Do you get your Amex voucher back and a refund of the taxes and points used?

Thanks
Starcloud is offline  
Old Apr 18, 2020, 8:09 am
  #1665  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Posts: 629
Originally Posted by Starcloud
Hi everyone

Apologies if covered earlier but I have an award booking to Bermuda in mid June for a holiday.

I assume it is unlikely to be going ahead as I am not travelling without insurance cover and even if I am allowed to enter Bermuda without quarantining I also need the FCO to change advice.

I know BA is only allowing vouchers for bookings to 31st May but if you refund an Amex companion booking what happens? Do you get your Amex voucher back and a refund of the taxes and points used?

Thanks
at the moment your option is to cancel as per the t and cs of the booking which would be a loss of 35£ per person.

if/when the voucher scheme is extended to cover your dates if you take the voucher you dont get anything back. Taxes Avios and voucher basically frozen to use within 12 months of outbound date of flight

or if ba cancel your flight then you can also get a refund no loss of anything and voucher is extended by 6 extra months too
Hawk777 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.