Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Mar 14, 2020, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA Covid-19 Rebooking / Cancellation / Refund Help & Advice

If your flight is cancelled by BA:
Commercial booking: Your options are: cash refund OR Future Travel Voucher (FTV) OR rebooking OR Avios credit
Redemption booking: Your options are: full refund of cash and Avios OR FTV OR rebooking.
BA Holidays booking: You should be given a refund pro-actively.

If your flight is cancelled by BA - any flight in the PNR - you can get a full refund so long as you booked directly with BA. You can only get a refund by telephoning BA. Refunds are taking between a few hours to a few weeks to be repaid, depending on the sort of booking made. If you don't wish to travel you can opt for an FTV or eVoucher valid for travel until 30 April 2022, though flights more than 355 days away are not currently bookable - flights are enabled at 355 days before departure. Vouchers such as 2-4-1 are also thereby extended. You can do this even if the flight is operating. The best advice we can give is to delay opting for an eVoucher options until the last moment, since if BA cancel your flight you have more options. BA have also adjusted the Standard Customer Guidelines so that if BA cancel the flight you can be rebooked to anytime in 12 months after you originally bought the ticket, so long as there is space in the cabin - there is no need to have a fare bucket available or Avios availability. If you choose the Avios credit you will get between 108 to 126 Avios per GBP of your fare. Note older posts in this thread may now be inaccuarate since the current policy has been amended several times.
===
If your flight is not cancelled but you don't wish to travel
Commercial booking: If you are eligible for Buy with Confidence, you can have an FTV valid until April 2022. Rebooking may lead to a fare recalculation but no change fee.
Redemption booking: Your can do the normal Avios refund, with the redeposit fee capped at GBP 35 per person. Alternatively for the same fee you can rebook to new dates subject to availability. Alternatively you can have an FTV.
BA Holidays booking: You may be get a refund proactively, otherwise you are looking at an FTV for at least the flight component of your trip, maybe for all components.

If all of the flights in your booking are still scheduled and you don't wish to travel then you best wait until a few days before departure in case there is a cancellation. As you can see above, a cancellation gives you better options. You are in scope with Buy with Confidence if you are flying between now and completing travel before 31 August 2021, also if you bought your ticket after 3 March and due to complete all flights before September 2021. The BA web page on this is:
ba.com/confidence
===
Below are some of the options / workarounds being suggested in order to obtain a refund as opposed to a Future Travel Voucher, but they probably no longer work:

Refund of Cancelled Flights:
  • Call BA (no longer a requirement to be travelling in the next 72 hours, you may need to make repeated calls to get through). Telephone numbers are in this thread, but you can also find them on BA.com at the bottom left of the website, under Help and Contacts.

Paid Seating Refund:
Bookings made using Lloyds Upgrade Voucher
You should expect to receive:
  • Full refund of Avios and money paid
  • A new voucher issued, which has validity for 6 months (from the date of issue, i.e. when you request the 'refund')

Lloyds Upgrade Voucher Notes
  • Flights can be used within 12 months, so it will be good for travel up until the end 6 months plus 12 months if you book just before the new expiry
  • It's been advised to take the voucher instead of rebooking as it gives me more flexibility.
  • The original expiry date of the voucher was irrelevant because the booking was cancelled.
  • You must book within 6 months of the voucher being issued and the ticket has 12 months validity so you can change flights after, provided the new flights are within the 12 month window.
  • You won't receive any email, only the refund and the miles.
How to find out the status of your voucher and the amount it contains Future Travel Vouchers versus eVouchers
  • See posts 3052 and 3151 to understand the difference. FTVs cannot be used online (and are not really vouchers), whereas eVouchers, issued for simple bookings, can be used online.
Print Wikipost

Covid-19 BA Rebooking/Cancellation/Refund HELP & ADVICE *No Speculation etc*

Old Apr 14, 2020, 6:55 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Pat Leigh
What date were you supposed to fly out?
We were due to fly out 23rd May. The original final payment date was 17th April and the holiday was cancelled on 8th April. I called to request a refund on the 9th and the money was refunded today.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
We have the following itinerary on a single PNR:

SEA-LHR-BCN (1/2 May); MAD-LHR-SEA (13 May)

The LHR-BCN segment has been cancelled. Presumably this entitles us to a refund. However, we have paid seat reservations on the two longhaul SEA segments. Will I get a refund on those, or should I wait until these flights are likely cancelled before I ask for a refund of my ticket?

Another possible out on the seat fees is an equipment change that happened in January, from a 747 to a 777. They changed our seats, which I rearranged. Not sure if the fact that I reselected the seats invalidates my path to a refund here or not.

Thanks!
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:26 am

Programs: BA Gold,United, DL,Hertz 5 star, Avis Prefd
I have had a similar message today, April 14th
Thank you for contacting British Airways. Unfortunately, your booking is not eligible for a Future Travel Voucher . We apologise for the inconvenience.
This was for a regular BA flight from LHR to PSA on 14th March which was cancelled by BA on the 10th March. It was BA metal, no code share, booked and paid for me directly with BA.

I decided to go ahead and ask for a voucher and got a message on the 23rd March
Thank you for contacting British Airways and requesting a Future Travel Voucher. We’re now processing your voucher and you’ll receive it within the next seven days.
My next communication was the message today, 3 weeks later. I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on this as it was not an expensive ticket but it would good if anyone has any pointers before writing it off. As I understand it BA is actually acting illegally on this.

I'll also add that since this flight cancellation I have had another 6 bookings (9 flights) cancelled, and using hints on this forum to contact by telephone using the Gold Exec club number and managed to get refunds for all of them processed efficiently and rapidly.

Last edited by svgittins; Apr 14, 2020 at 7:31 am Reason: quote markup in wrong place
Old Apr 14, 2020, 7:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by svgittins
I have had a similar message today, April 14th

This was for a regular BA flight from LHR to PSA on 14th March which was cancelled by BA on the 10th March. It was BA metal, no code share, booked and paid for me directly with BA.

I decided to go ahead and ask for a voucher and got a message on the 23rd March

My next communication was the message today, 3 weeks later. I don't want to spend a huge amount of time on this as it was not an expensive ticket but it would good if anyone has any pointers before writing it off. As I understand it BA is actually acting illegally on this.

I'll also add that since this flight cancellation I have had another 6 bookings (9 flights) cancelled, and using hints on this forum to contact by telephone using the Gold Exec club number and managed to get refunds for all of them processed efficiently and rapidly.
i don’t understand, if your flight is cancelled why wouldn’t you ask for a full refund?

EDIT: just to add that if for some reason you ended up applying for a FTV on the booking, as BA have refused it now is your opportunity to call up and ask for the full refund.

Last edited by KARFA; Apr 14, 2020 at 9:14 am
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:35 am

Programs: Aadvantage platinum; IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Donsyb
After several attempts which wouldnt even let me queue, got through tonight around 18:10. Around 20 minutes on hold, then dealt with very quickly. Said it would take 14 days for the refund to go back on my card, we shall see!

This was a holiday booking, flights and hotel.
Data point: Refund requested on 09/04, received today 14/04
Old Apr 14, 2020, 9:26 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
Originally Posted by sullim4
We have the following itinerary on a single PNR:

SEA-LHR-BCN (1/2 May); MAD-LHR-SEA (13 May)

The LHR-BCN segment has been cancelled. Presumably this entitles us to a refund. However, we have paid seat reservations on the two longhaul SEA segments. Will I get a refund on those, or should I wait until these flights are likely cancelled before I ask for a refund of my ticket?

Another possible out on the seat fees is an equipment change that happened in January, from a 747 to a 777. They changed our seats, which I rearranged. Not sure if the fact that I reselected the seats invalidates my path to a refund here or not.

Thanks!
To follow up on this, I called up this morning, waited 15 minutes on hold, and got an agent that refunded the seat fees and original tickets in full. I received email confirmation while on the phone. Thus, it doesn't seem to matter if the flight on which you paid seat selection fees is the actual flight that ends up getting cancelled. If any flight on your PNR gets cancelled, you'll get your seat fees back.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: BA Gold,United, DL,Hertz 5 star, Avis Prefd
@KARFA The reason that I did not ask for a full refund is that BA has made it very difficult to do this (as has been reported extensively in these forums and in the press). The flight I had cancelled was early in the days of the epidemic (the first day of the Italian lockdown when BA immediately cancelled all its flights to Italy for the next few weeks) and I took the easy option. Certainly it was a mistake and one I did not repeat for my other flights that were cancelled subsequently. Your suggestion that I "call up and asking for a refund" implies to me you have not tried this in recent weeks! It is not any easy thing to do. Everything I have read also indicates if you asked for a voucher you have not any hope of getting a refund. That is why I asked for advice on this forum.
KARFA likes this.

Last edited by svgittins; Apr 14, 2020 at 11:14 am Reason: left out name of person I was replying too
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:35 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by svgittins
@KARFA The reason that I did not ask for a full refund is that BA has made it very difficult to do this (as has been reported extensively in these forums and in the press). The flight I had cancelled was early in the days of the epidemic (the first day of the Italian lockdown when BA immediately cancelled all its flights to Italy for the next few weeks) and I took the easy option. Certainly it was a mistake and one I did not repeat for my other flights that were cancelled subsequently. Your suggestion that I "call up and asking for a refund" implies to me you have not tried this in recent weeks! It is not any easy thing to do. Everything I have read also indicates if you asked for a voucher you have not any hope of getting a refund. That is why I asked for advice on this forum.
Hi svgittins. Thanks for the reply.

I have tried to call and have done quite a few refunds over the last few - many others report doing so as well. However, I fully accept my experience with BA is not the same as many others though and I have seen the many posts on here about the issues calling.

My advice is that now you have have a rejection for getting the voucher you can go back and ask for a refund. All the reports seem to be the call centres are much less busy than they were a few weeks ago. Yes whilst your voucher application was pending you would have been refused to swap for a refund. But your voucher application is refused and no longer pending.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 12:59 pm

Programs: Air Canada-Aeroplan, NEXUS, E50K, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite
Originally Posted by KARFA
Yes I have. However there are delays if it went down the manual route - you can tell which ones are manual since they don't show a refund quotation before you click to confirm cancellation.

In terms of refunds (i.e. not applications for future travel vouchers), and excluding any BA holiday bookings, one option is to PM to BA refund helper if you have been waiting more than a week https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32267001-post259.html
Thanks for the tip! Hopefully this works.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by flashware
Has been working on iPads and iPhones.
Great advice - thank you.

I couldn't get it to work on Chrome, but an Avios refund just came through immediately using the JavaScript trick on Safari for iPhone (ie, browser and not app). No cash refund was due, but the 30,000 points posted immediately back to my account. Much appreciated.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 6:59 am
formerly maskelo

Quick question for everyone on the forum - I have read the BA rules and it always confirms booking made from 03/03 to 31/05 for travel up to 31/12 you can amend, etc online without incurring rebooking costs.

I have a couple of flights for July 2020, which were booked on the 27/02 this year - what would be my options then? I am avoiding calling knowing how busy they are.

I am probably only looking to reschedule to 2021
Old Apr 15, 2020, 7:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by bestuseofpoints
[img]]I have a couple of flights for July 2020, which were booked on the 27/02 this year - what would be my options then? I am avoiding calling knowing how busy they are.

I am probably only looking to reschedule to 2021
Indeed there is no point calling since they could only offer to move the flights with a change fee (probably, since it actually depends on your ticket's precise rules). You are currently out of policy for Buy with Confidence at the moment, so your best bet is to wait until the end of June and then have a look at what you can do. If the current situation continues, then personally I would expect further policy changes.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 9:16 am

Hi there,

On the 8th Feb, we booked our first transatlantic Amex 2-4-1 redemption for the following:
18 April - BA0213 LHR - Boston
17 May - BA0213 Boston - LHR

We had been waiting to see what would happen regarding refunds/rebookings and, in particular, whether BA would cancel the flights. If I understand correctly, a cancellation by BA would mean we're automatically entitled to a full refund. But as it stands, am I correct that our options are:
- we cancel and get a refund of the Avios and taxes, but we have to pay a charge of 50pp (ie total "cost"/loss of 100)
- we change the dates of the booking for any time up until Feb 2021 (the new date of expiry for the 2-4-1 voucher that was used); we would still have to pay 35pp for this option as the BA site says that booking change fees are only waived for bookings made from 3 March; since we booked in Feb we would still have to pay?
- we take the voucher option, which will entitle us to rebooking the same flights up until April next year (the "paying the difference in price" issue should not affect us since it's Avios booking and will depend only on redemption availability)?

Is that a correct understanding? Seems like there is no way for us to get a full refund of the taxes and Avios since the flight is not cancelled?
Many thanks for your help...this is all new to us!
Old Apr 15, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: US CP and 1MM; HILTON DIAMOND; MARRIOTT PLAT
Informed today by BA that my flight IAD to LHR to TLS on May 19 (arrives 20) was canceled (LHR to TLS leg cancelled, with no other flights for a couple of days on each end). Called BA to request refund. Neither provided numbers (US 877) or the UK number answers but they simply state that they cannot accept calls at this time. I want a refund and NOT a voucher because at this point, I do not have plans to fly BA. Also I do not feel like taking the time to see if a software hack (described earlier) would work. I called my CC (Barclays) and the agent encouraged me to file a dispute. Also I see the 72 hour requirement for calling (if you ever get through), but at this point, I do not wish to wait till May 16 to start processing a refund. Any ideas or experience with disputing it on the CC? Or should I give BA a chance and keep calling? While I would hate to create more work for the airline by filing a dispute in these rough times, it is absurd that they disabled the ability to request a refund without calling.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 11:46 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yarg
Hi there,

On the 8th Feb, we booked our first transatlantic Amex 2-4-1 redemption for the following:
18 April - BA0213 LHR - Boston
17 May - BA0213 Boston - LHR

We had been waiting to see what would happen regarding refunds/rebookings and, in particular, whether BA would cancel the flights. If I understand correctly, a cancellation by BA would mean we're automatically entitled to a full refund. But as it stands, am I correct that our options are:
- we cancel and get a refund of the Avios and taxes, but we have to pay a charge of 50pp (ie total "cost"/loss of 100)
- we change the dates of the booking for any time up until Feb 2021 (the new date of expiry for the 2-4-1 voucher that was used); we would still have to pay 35pp for this option as the BA site says that booking change fees are only waived for bookings made from 3 March; since we booked in Feb we would still have to pay?
- we take the voucher option, which will entitle us to rebooking the same flights up until April next year (the "paying the difference in price" issue should not affect us since it's Avios booking and will depend only on redemption availability)?

Is that a correct understanding? Seems like there is no way for us to get a full refund of the taxes and Avios since the flight is not cancelled?
Many thanks for your help...this is all new to us!
cancellation and change fee is 35gbp per pax
if ba cancel then obviously no charge to canx
Yes voucher puts booking on hold and Avios canx and change fees but remember both flights have to be taken 12mths before the first flight so 18 April is latest return date

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.