Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Latest official update, posted by BA refund helper on 16 August (post no 579)

Historic wiki updates:
There seems to be some confusion over the ‘vouchers’ for future travel so here is some clarity in the hope it proves helpful to others.

The ‘voucher number’ will be the customer’s existing ticket number. The process is no different to putting a booking on hold for medical reasons and the existing booking will be reused for future travel, with the ticket reissued following payment of any difference in fare. This is why it takes so long to receive confirmation as someone has to manually go into each booking (as you’ll imagine there are a lot!), remove the live flights, hold in a ghost flight and send the confirmation email to the customer. It is not an eVoucher that you would enter into ba.com for a discount off a brand new booking and new travel arrangements should NOT be made in this way.

Similarly, customers should NOT cancel their own bookings at any point in the voucher process. This will invalidate any eligibility for the voucher and process a fare rules refund.

When ready to rebook (and once the lines are a lot quieter!) customers will need to call to be rebooked as there is no facility to do this online at all and anything done online in this manner will be at the customer’s own expense since you won't be able to deploy the eVoucher's funds. The voucher is valid for travel completed (both outbound and inbound) by 30th April 2021.

There is no telephone service charge for using the eVoucher, you have to call up, but you won't have to pay an extra fee to make the booking in this scenario.
Print Wikipost

Rebooking with e-voucher

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2022, 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Anonba
It is the surname that you are asked for.
Yes what surname is my question, for a single eVoucher from an original booking that contained several?
Old Jun 25, 2022, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Yes what surname is my question, for a single eVoucher from an original booking that contained several?
I'm probably misunderstanding something here, but the evoucher email should have the relevant surname in between two solidus (slash) characters. Leave out the leading and lag space character. So SMITH in the first example SMITH JONES in the second.

125-4205412345 / GBP126.62 / SMITH /

125-4205412345 / GBP126.62 / SMITH JONES /
pazza2000 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm probably misunderstanding something here, but the evoucher email should have the relevant surname in between two solidus (slash) characters. Leave out the leading and lag space character. So SMITH in the first example SMITH JONES in the second.

125-4205412345 / GBP126.62 / SMITH /

125-4205412345 / GBP126.62 / SMITH JONES /
It has my single surname to the right yes, however that’s not recognised as the surname when trying to redeem online with BA. The original booking had several passengers surnames, I requested a single eVoucher and so suspect it’s a different surname that’s linked, just trying to work out what.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 3:46 am

It has my single surname to the right yes, however that’s not recognised as the surname when trying to redeem online with BA. The original booking had several passengers surnames, I requested a single eVoucher and so suspect it’s a different surname that’s linked, just trying to work out what.
Should also maybe add this is a revenue eVoucher
Old Jun 29, 2022, 6:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It should work. The previous naming isn't relevant since they are transferable, note there should not be a space around the names, and ditto the email address. But if you can get it added then you can only call up to see what may be wrong.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 7:17 am

When you got initial confirnation email for booming who was it adressed to? Its usually passenger number 1 it is sent to and voucher would usually work the same.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 8:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by JL41
Hi all, I've been waiting to receive my voucher email since 14 April 2022. Do I need to call BA to investigate, or is this a normal delay?

Should I expect to receive a refund following BA's latest FTV policy?

Timeline:
  • March 2022 - Booked through ba.com on JL flights (cash)
  • April 2022 - I agreed to involuntary flight changes with BA call centre (connection went below MCT due to Ukraine-related schedule change)
  • I later requested a voucher online (Covid positive two days before departure)
  • Shortly after, "We're replacing your booking with the voucher. Your voucher will be in your email inbox within 48 hours." text appeared in MMB along with some text that I will need to call in order to use the voucher.
Any thoughts/experience would be appreciated!
A similar experience here. I cancelled a booking for a voucher in early May, have the same text if I search the booking reference but have yet to receive the voucher. Has it got lost needing chasing up or should I be patient. Either way, I want to use it soon.
Old Jun 29, 2022, 9:11 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HarryHolden68
A similar experience here. I cancelled a booking for a voucher in early May, have the same text if I search the booking reference but have yet to receive the voucher. Has it got lost needing chasing up or should I be patient. Either way, I want to use it soon.
Definitely needs chasing if you requested it in May and still haven't received the FTV email.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 12:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Positive report, for a change.
I had an FTV issued mid 2021 from BAH in the form of an email with “reply to this email” to trigger it.
I duly replied and asked to set it against a cash flight only booking. BAH replied next day agreeing and the next day the funds are showing in my account.
Can’t fault this service!
Old Sep 7, 2022, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, LH, EK, QR
Hi folks, I took an FTV for a cash and avios (to upgrade) booking back in July, email etc received without issue. Last week I booked an Amex 2-4-1 trip but the agent said an FTV could not be used as part payment for this. He also said it could not be used for BA holidays. The email from BA states the voucher can be used for flights or holidays, so just wondering if anybody knows the rules before I make the deposit payment on a holiday?

Also, the BA site states FTVs are being refunded and that would take 30 days, but I'm at about 50 days since I cancelled now, appreciate there will be delays but I wasn't expecting a refund anyway. I can't see anything about cut-off dates for cancellations/refunds so not sure I'm actually going to get one.
bzado likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2022, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by GK1981
Hi folks, I took an FTV for a cash and avios (to upgrade) booking back in July, email etc received without issue. Last week I booked an Amex 2-4-1 trip but the agent said an FTV could not be used as part payment for this. He also said it could not be used for BA holidays. The email from BA states the voucher can be used for flights or holidays, so just wondering if anybody knows the rules before I make the deposit payment on a holiday?
So the 2-4-1 is a redemption booking, whereas the original FTV source was a commercial booking, and so no, that can't be used as a redemption. I suspect it can be used towards part payment of a BAH sum outstanding, but the issue is the Avios in the FTV - these should be returned after BAH has removed the cash.
Old Sep 8, 2022, 3:40 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
So the 2-4-1 is a redemption booking, whereas the original FTV source was a commercial booking, and so no, that can't be used as a redemption. I suspect it can be used towards part payment of a BAH sum outstanding, but the issue is the Avios in the FTV - these should be returned after BAH has removed the cash.
Thanks CWS - I contacted BA on Twitter and they've responded saying the booking had a GUF2 applied so it can only be used to rebook flight only with an upgrade included. Neither of us has ever earned a GUF2, so asked them to recheck, stating it was a simple cash booking and Avios upgrade....they've responded to say they're investigating....
Old Sep 8, 2022, 8:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold; LHW Sterling; SLH Inspired; Hilton & Marriott Gold; HT P9; (ex) AA survivor; Harrods Gold
Originally Posted by GK1981

Also, the BA site states FTVs are being refunded and that would take 30 days, but I'm at about 50 days since I cancelled now, appreciate there will be delays but I wasn't expecting a refund anyway. I can't see anything about cut-off dates for cancellations/refunds so not sure I'm actually going to get one.
Hi everyone, I’m in a similar boat here. Although BA seems to have announced back in Mar’ 22 that they would be refunding FTVs, I strangely had one issued in July of 2022 (which contains a combo of Avios and cash as I booked with cash and upgraded to biz with Avios). I have tried redeeming the voucher on the site and it doesn’t work (as it’s not an eVoucher as I now understand).

With that said, I am incredibly confused now - am I or am I not eligible to receive a refund for the Avios and cash on it? Can I convert it into an eVoucher instead? If FTVs cannot be redeemed for combined cash+Avios bookings, how on earth am I even supposed to use it? What a mess!
Old Sep 9, 2022, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by bzado
With that said, I am incredibly confused now - am I or am I not eligible to receive a refund for the Avios and cash on it? Can I convert it into an eVoucher instead? If FTVs cannot be redeemed for combined cash+Avios bookings, how on earth am I even supposed to use it? What a mess!
You can use it on a Cash + Avios booking if that was your original booking but it would require a telephone call. Some Cash + Avios bookings were converted into cash FTVs, so that's easier to use, it's just a credit note. Others appear remain as Cash + Avioos. You could try the Chat functionality and ask what is the value of your FTV. You will need the 125 number of the vooucher (which should be the 125 number on the original e-ticket) as well as other security information. You can't make a booking via Chat though.
bzado likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 3:37 am

Originally Posted by bzado
Hi everyone, I’m in a similar boat here. Although BA seems to have announced back in Mar’ 22 that they would be refunding FTVs, I strangely had one issued in July of 2022 (which contains a combo of Avios and cash as I booked with cash and upgraded to biz with Avios). I have tried redeeming the voucher on the site and it doesn’t work (as it’s not an eVoucher as I now understand).

I've been in a twitter chat with various CS people at BA. They've stated the voucher is not eligible for any form of refund. I've had to ask again if I can at least use the cash element against a BA holiday booking and keep the avios on the voucher for use at a later date as they didn't answer this as my original question. I'm expecting a no.

Edit: BA responded to say I "Should" be able to use the voucher against a package but to call in to do this.
bzado likes this.

Last edited by GK1981; Sep 9, 2022 at 4:29 am Reason: Update

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.