Rebooking with e-voucher

Hide Wikipost
Old Aug 16, 20, 8:01 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Prospero
Wiki Link
Latest official update, posted by BA refund helper on 16 August (post no 579)

Historic wiki updates:
There seems to be some confusion over the Ďvouchersí for future travel so here is some clarity in the hope it proves helpful to others.

The Ďvoucher numberí will be the customerís existing ticket number. The process is no different to putting a booking on hold for medical reasons and the existing booking will be reused for future travel, with the ticket reissued following payment of any difference in fare. This is why it takes so long to receive confirmation as someone has to manually go into each booking (as youíll imagine there are a lot!), remove the live flights, hold in a ghost flight and send the confirmation email to the customer. It is not an eVoucher that you would enter into ba.com for a discount off a brand new booking and new travel arrangements should NOT be made in this way.

Similarly, customers should NOT cancel their own bookings at any point in the voucher process. This will invalidate any eligibility for the voucher and process a fare rules refund.

When ready to rebook (and once the lines are a lot quieter!) customers will need to call to be rebooked as there is no facility to do this online at all and anything done online in this manner will be at the customerís own expense since you won't be able to deploy the eVoucher's funds. The voucher is valid for travel completed (both outbound and inbound) by 30th April 2021.

There is no telephone service charge for using the eVoucher, you have to call up, but you won't have to pay an extra fee to make the booking in this scenario.
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 4, 20, 9:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Normally it's best to take the refund if there is cancellation or a big time change, over an FTV. But the exception would be an expiring Companion Voucher, so yes you could keep that alive until mid 2022. What is more you could use it as part payment towards a longhaul service, for which Companion Vouchers are much better value, or indeed another shorthaul booking as full, or nearly full, payment.
Thanks for the reply CWS. I only used the companion voucher for short-haul as it was expiring (should have been July but extended to December) so it was use it or lose it. I have a couple more to use on long haul trips once the world has opened up again.
Old Sep 5, 20, 9:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Deleted
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:09 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Is there an advisable minimum time period to wait once an e-voucher is issued before trying to use it? I just received one and tried to use it immediately but on doing so, all three fields of my e-mail address, last name and e-voucher # give an error and advise me to re-check the voucher e-mail I received. Yet all are filled in 100% correctly

Best to wait a short while in case BA IT systems need to "catch-up"?
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:11 am

Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Is there an advisable minimum time period to wait once an e-voucher is issued before trying to use it? I just received one and tried to use it immediately but on doing so, all three fields of my e-mail address, last name and e-voucher # give an error and advise me to re-check the voucher e-mail I received. Yet all are filled in 100% correctly

Best to wait a short while in case BA IT systems need to "catch-up"?
just to check, it is an online one isnít it? I assume it shows the value of the voucher in your email?
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:19 am
BOH

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
just to check, it is an online one isnít it? I assume it shows the value of the voucher in your email?
Actually, no it says it is an FTV and to call to re-book

However I believe I went through the exact same process in cancelling and getting a voucher as last time I believe....but last time I could use it on-line and the whole process was easy and quick. I'm sure it is mentioned up-thread, but why are BA driving people to have to call them for some re-bookings with e-vouchers, yet others can be easily done on-line?
Old Sep 11, 20, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by BOH View Post
Actually, no it says it is an FTV and to call to re-book

However I believe I went through the exact same process in cancelling and getting a voucher as last time I believe....but last time I could use it on-line and the whole process was easy and quick. I'm sure it is mentioned up-thread, but why are BA driving people to have to call them for some re-bookings with e-vouchers, yet others can be easily done on-line?
so initially all FTV were offline ones. Since about a month ago they are issuing some FTVs as online evouchers, but this is only for bookings which are simple one way or return cash booking and where they have not previously been changed or had ticket reissues (including POUGs). Anything not falling in that category are still being issued as offline FTVs which you need to call to use.
geo1005 likes this.

Last edited by KARFA; Sep 11, 20 at 6:08 am
Old Sep 11, 20, 6:19 am
BOH

Originally Posted by KARFA View Post
so initially all FTV were offline ones. Since about a month ago they are issuing some FTVs as online evouchers, but this is only for bookings which are simple one way or return cash booking and where they have not previously been changed or had ticket reissues (including POUGs). Anything not falling in that category are still being issued as offline FTVs which you need to call to use.
Thank you for explanation KARFA. Strangely my cancelled flight does not fall into any of the above, it was a standard LON-GOA-LON with no POUG.....but I had part-paid with an on-line e-voucher from a previous cancelled flight. This will probably be the reason
Old Oct 5, 20, 6:11 am

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
I made a BA Holidays booking for Brussels to Boston and just paid the deposit. I would now like to cancel this booking and take the deposit as an evoucher so that I can use it book somewhere flights. Should this be possible, and how do I go about this?

I am a bit concerned if I request an evoucher using the online form, it will take a long time to come through, and I will lose the flight deal Iím trying to book.

Thanks for any help.
Old Oct 5, 20, 7:15 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Radiation Station View Post
I made a BA Holidays booking for Brussels to Boston and just paid the deposit. I would now like to cancel this booking and take the deposit as an evoucher so that I can use it book somewhere flights. Should this be possible, and how do I go about this?

I am a bit concerned if I request an evoucher using the online form, it will take a long time to come through, and I will lose the flight deal I’m trying to book.
I have a feeling that BAH booking would come back as an FTV, rather than an eVoucher, and indeed it may take a day or two to get to you, whereas Flight Only just takes an hour or so. So I think you best use Skype to ring the Germany office number (since they own your booking) and see if the agent can get you what you really want. From what I can make out, the staff there will do their best to help you.
Radiation Station likes this.
Old Oct 5, 20, 1:49 pm

Query on Avios booking

Hi. Sorry if Iíve missed this in the thread somewhere. Iím sure itís there but thereís a lot of info here.

I have a cancelled trip coming up Iím considering getting a voucher for as it was an Amex 2-4-1 and I donít think the voucher will be used even with the 6 month extension. The voucher would then extend this to 30/4/21.

What Iím confused about is firstly we have a household account so would 3 vouchers be issued myself, spouse and our son? If so how easy is it to use the 3 vouchers? I know this has to be done online but can I as lead booker and head of household account easily use all 3 vouchers for one new booking over phone?
Old Oct 5, 20, 2:42 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BGI Runner View Post
What Iím confused about is firstly we have a household account so would 3 vouchers be issued myself, spouse and our son? If so how easy is it to use the 3 vouchers? I know this has to be done online but can I as lead booker and head of household account easily use all 3 vouchers for one new booking over phone?
As I understand it, 3 FTVs would be issued, named against the original travellers. Whoever contributed the Companion Voucher will have that in their FTV wrapper, where your spouse would have an FTV with money in it, and your son would have (presumably) Avios and cash in his FTV. If you are planning to use it on the same group then it should be easy enough to deploy the 3 FTVs together, though perhaps the final ticketing may take a few weeks to complete.
Old Oct 5, 20, 3:21 pm

Hi. Sorry if Iíve missed this in the thread somewhere. Iím sure itís there but thereís a lot of info here.

I have a cancelled trip coming up Iím considering getting a voucher for as it was an Amex 2-4-1 and I donít think the voucher will be used even with the 6 month extension. The voucher would then extend this to 30/4/21.

Its easy to rebook over the phone the Ďvouchersí are just your ticket numbers in your original booking that is held open. When you call the person will see the booking details including passengers and total Avios and money paid.
Old Oct 6, 20, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
As I understand it, 3 FTVs would be issued, named against the original travellers. Whoever contributed the Companion Voucher will have that in their FTV wrapper, where your spouse would have an FTV with money in it, and your son would have (presumably) Avios and cash in his FTV. If you are planning to use it on the same group then it should be easy enough to deploy the 3 FTVs together, though perhaps the final ticketing may take a few weeks to complete.
Many thanks CWS, sounds good. So just to confirm it looks like they ignore the household account and issue Avios in the FTV to the value of the individual tickets per person?

Just need to decide whether to go that route as 2-4-1 use is often extremely time sensitive as we are often looking at half term, popular Caribbean routes etc. Itís a shame you have to call up to use the FTVs as this removes the 1am grab them online at release option. Our flights are cancelled so I can go for a full refund to secure the Avios for online use and just accept the 2-4-1 will go to waste.
Old Oct 6, 20, 2:52 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze, Honors Diamond
Used two FTVs this week. One was from the deposit on a flight and car hire booking. One from a standalone car hire.

Wanted to book a new standalone car hire. Couldnít be done on the phone as I was booking less than 24 hours before the hire started (apparently this rule also applies to hotels), so booked and paid online while still on the phone. Gave the agent the booking reference and then was given the value of the vouchers as a refund. Was warned the refund could take a while but came through next day.
Old Oct 6, 20, 3:04 am

Many thanks CWS, sounds good. So just to confirm it looks like they ignore the household account and issue Avios in the FTV to the value of the individual tickets per person?

Just need to decide whether to go that route as 2-4-1 use is often extremely time sensitive as we are often looking at half term, popular Caribbean routes etc. Itís a shame you have to call up to use the FTVs as this removes the 1am grab them online at release option. Our flights are cancelled so I can go for a full refund to secure the Avios for online use and just accept the 2-4-1 will go to waste.
Yes, the FTV process doesn't have a direct impact on HHA, which a full refund would have (in that Avios would be returned pro-rata). As mentioned by anonba. your old booking reference just hangs around the system as an empty shell, waiting for you to reconstruct the reservations, and you can take your time about this. If you are a habitual 355 day booker then I can see your point, but actually there are tactics you can use to get Avios bookings late in the day. I remember scoring a CW to SYD on the day of my departure, at a time when SYD was "impossible" in Club. The sort of thing you can consider is (for example) looking at MIA for the Caribbean, looking at MEX rather than CUN, considering places like Oman rather than the famous resorts.
Anonba likes this.

Search this Thread