Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Latest official update, posted by BA refund helper on 16 August (post no 579)

Historic wiki updates:
There seems to be some confusion over the ‘vouchers’ for future travel so here is some clarity in the hope it proves helpful to others.

The ‘voucher number’ will be the customer’s existing ticket number. The process is no different to putting a booking on hold for medical reasons and the existing booking will be reused for future travel, with the ticket reissued following payment of any difference in fare. This is why it takes so long to receive confirmation as someone has to manually go into each booking (as you’ll imagine there are a lot!), remove the live flights, hold in a ghost flight and send the confirmation email to the customer. It is not an eVoucher that you would enter into ba.com for a discount off a brand new booking and new travel arrangements should NOT be made in this way.

Similarly, customers should NOT cancel their own bookings at any point in the voucher process. This will invalidate any eligibility for the voucher and process a fare rules refund.

When ready to rebook (and once the lines are a lot quieter!) customers will need to call to be rebooked as there is no facility to do this online at all and anything done online in this manner will be at the customer’s own expense since you won't be able to deploy the eVoucher's funds. The voucher is valid for travel completed (both outbound and inbound) by 30th April 2021.

There is no telephone service charge for using the eVoucher, you have to call up, but you won't have to pay an extra fee to make the booking in this scenario.
Print Wikipost

Rebooking with e-voucher

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2020, 12:44 am

Originally Posted by northeastflyer
Just so I'm clear, say I have a FTV for £500 and 30000 Avios. I call up to make a booking worth £100. I understand that BA will issue a voucher for the remaining £400 and this will be a standard e-voucher that can be used for part payment online? In terms of the Avios, am I able to choose how many Avios I use when using the FTV? So, in this scenario I can choose to pay £100 and use 10000 Avios. Can this be done and do I get the 20000 remaining Avios credited back to my Exec account? Thanks.
In my case (had a voucher for £150, bought a new flight for £108) I received another voucher for £42 which I cannot use online. They sent me a new 125-booking.
Old May 20, 2020, 1:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Just so I'm clear, say I have a FTV for £500 and 30000 Avios. I call up to make a booking worth £100. I understand that BA will issue a voucher for the remaining £400 and this will be a standard e-voucher that can be used for part payment online? In terms of the Avios, am I able to choose how many Avios I use when using the FTV? So, in this scenario I can choose to pay £100 and use 10000 Avios. Can this be done and do I get the 20000 remaining Avios credited back to my Exec account? Thanks.
Originally Posted by 13901
In my case (had a voucher for £150, bought a new flight for £108) I received another voucher for £42 which I cannot use online. They sent me a new 125-booking.
The original version of this was that the £400 in the example was a standard EMD which could be used online, but there are several reports of the EMD not being in the open eVoucher type and thus the £400 would need a call to the Contact Centre to use. I think you can choose your flight / Avios use in the usual way if you want to part pay (though the usual CWS warning applies that apart from the lowest band this is poor value for money), so you are not forced down one particular course of action, and you would see the return of the 20k Avios.
Old May 20, 2020, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The original version of this was that the £400 in the example was a standard EMD which could be used online, but there are several reports of the EMD not being in the open eVoucher type and thus the £400 would need a call to the Contact Centre to use.
Thanks for the clarification. It does seem odd that there are reports of some people receiving standard e-vouchers redeemable online and others not. Anyone else have experience either way? Hmmmm🤔
Old May 20, 2020, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by Hawk777
Book with confidence vouchwrs Now available for people flying up to 31 July no matter when booked.

vouchers valdity now extended to 30 April 2022 all travel must be completed by this date
So I assume this applies to all Covid FTV's, no matter when issued i. e. From the start in March?
Old May 20, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
I am completely lost now, rules seem to be changing all the time...

So here is my case: I had an Avios booking and cancelled that. I did not get Avios returned to my account, but simply got "a voucher". No mentioning of the value of the voucher.

Have rules changed now? Can I get my Avios back on to my account? I am fine with a voucher for taxes/fees, but I have doubts about a voucher for Avios. My booking was a oneway Business Class Tokyo-Europe, will they have issued a voucher for the equivalence of a one-way Business Class Tokyo-Europe?

I am happy to call BA, but it would be good to get some guidance from forum members here so that I know what to tell them/what to ask for. My experience with the BAEC Gold line has been that every second call is with somebody competent and savvy, and every other call is a pure disaster (hang up and try again is the usual strategy and always works to get the result, but in times where waiting times on the phone are long that is less attractive).

Thanks
Old May 20, 2020, 3:40 am
Suspended

as long as it is an Avios reward redemption booking yes it doesn't apply to cash booking where you have used Avios to reduce the value of the booking they are getting a voucher if over £20
Old May 20, 2020, 3:41 am
Suspended

So I assume this applies to all Covid FTV's, no matter when issued i. e. From the start in March?
not all no just Avios reward redemption bookings
Old May 20, 2020, 3:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
I am completely lost now, rules seem to be changing all the time...

So here is my case: I had an Avios booking and cancelled that. I did not get Avios returned to my account, but simply got "a voucher". No mentioning of the value of the voucher.

Have rules changed now? Can I get my Avios back on to my account? I am fine with a voucher for taxes/fees, but I have doubts about a voucher for Avios. My booking was a oneway Business Class Tokyo-Europe, will they have issued a voucher for the equivalence of a one-way Business Class Tokyo-Europe?

I am happy to call BA, but it would be good to get some guidance from forum members here so that I know what to tell them/what to ask for. My experience with the BAEC Gold line has been that every second call is with somebody competent and savvy, and every other call is a pure disaster (hang up and try again is the usual strategy and always works to get the result, but in times where waiting times on the phone are long that is less attractive).

Thanks
no rules haven't changed you have applied for a voucher for future travel and got that to use by 30 April 2022 but what is being mentioned above is if your new booking is say for 50000 Avios less and £500 in taxes and fees less you then get these credited back to you rather than another voucher

the voucher you have will be for the value of what paid for example if you used 75000pts and £350 that is the value of your voucher, you can use it for any booking in any class on any route. If it is a more expensive journey you pay the extra if it's less you get it refunded
Old May 20, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Hawk777
no rules haven't changed you have applied for a voucher for future travel and got that to use by 30 April 2022 but what is being mentioned above is if your new booking is say for 50000 Avios less and £500 in taxes and fees less you then get these credited back to you rather than another voucher

the voucher you have will be for the value of what paid for example if you used 75000pts and £350 that is the value of your voucher, you can use it for any booking in any class on any route. If it is a more expensive journey you pay the extra if it's less you get it refunded
Thank you, that was the explanation I needed, thanks a lot. Never realised that vouchers could be for Avios as well, I thought vouchers were always GBP/USD/EUR hence my worry about how they had converted my Avios into GBP/USD/EUR
Old May 20, 2020, 11:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Thank you, that was the explanation I needed, thanks a lot. Never realised that vouchers could be for Avios as well, I thought vouchers were always GBP/USD/EUR hence my worry about how they had converted my Avios into GBP/USD/EUR
I know we are all calling it a voucher, but it isn't really a voucher - or not at least like any you have had before. Effectively they leave your existing ticket open hence why your voucher number is your ticket number - and when you call they change the booking using the value held on that ticket.
Old May 20, 2020, 2:13 pm

Voucher terms of use

I received a voucher for a canceled Avios booking on American Airlines from LIH to LAX. My intent was to use the voucher for the same trip next year. I recently read on BA's website that vouchers can only be used on BA marketed routes with a BA flight number. The only BA flight numbers I am aware of from the LAX area would be to London. Is a flight to London from Los Angeles the ONLY way I can use this voucher? Is it at all possible to use it for the American Airlines flights to and from Hawaii?
Old May 20, 2020, 2:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by SoCal Traveler
I received a voucher for a canceled Avios booking on American Airlines from LIH to LAX. My intent was to use the voucher for the same trip next year. I recently read on BA's website that vouchers can only be used on BA marketed routes with a BA flight number. The only BA flight numbers I am aware of from the LAX area would be to London. Is a flight to London from Los Angeles the ONLY way I can use this voucher? Is it at all possible to use it for the American Airlines flights to and from Hawaii?
Was this a redemption / Avios booking? If so then you can use it on other Avios bookings, including on AA.
Old May 20, 2020, 3:01 pm

Yes, this was an Avios redemption on AA. So, I only need to worry about award availability? I don't need to worry about it having a BA flight number? Thanks for clarifying!!
Old May 20, 2020, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by SoCal Traveler
Yes, this was an Avios redemption on AA. So, I only need to worry about award availability? I don't need to worry about it having a BA flight number? Thanks for clarifying!!
Correct, it would have been better to have cancelled the ticket, but in essence you have the same Avios and cash tied in the voucher, and you can use it on that or any other AA route if there is availability, you will need to call to make the booling. Or indeed on a BA or AS redemption booking. Codeshares aren't actually relevant for redemptions, they exist purely for commercial (revenue) bookings, so no need to hunt down a BA flight number.
Old May 20, 2020, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Correct, it would have been better to have cancelled the ticket, but in essence you have the same Avios and cash tied in the voucher, and you can use it on that or any other AA route if there is availability, you will need to call to make the booling. Or indeed on a BA or AS redemption booking. Codeshares aren't actually relevant for redemptions, they exist purely for commercial (revenue) bookings, so no need to hunt down a BA flight number.

Thank you corporate-wage-slave!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.