Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Taking credit risk on BA: should we be worried?

Old Mar 14, 20, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, CCR, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite

I have approx £17,000 in evouchers from BA. If you can attribute any value to them, I also have GfL status, two companion vouchers, 3,000,000 Avios, a GUF2 and four GUF1.

I canít be the only one, and many people will have much more.

These are, of course, first world problems of the highest order. And it seems churlish to even discuss them whilst lives and livelihoods are under threat. But the thought is now occurring to me: will BA be good for all the cash they owe their customers?
Old Mar 14, 20, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by HFHFFlyer View Post
I have approx £17,000 in evouchers from BA. If you can attribute any value to them, I also have GfL status, two companion vouchers, 3,000,000 Avios, a GUF2 and four GUF1.

These are, of course, first world problems of the highest order. And it seems churlish to even discuss them whilst lives and livelihoods are under threat. But the thought is now occurring to me: will BA be good for all the cash they owe their customers?
Whilst my "holdings" are of many magnitudes lower than yours, I splurged almost all my Avios and a 2-4-1 on Thursday, for just this reason! I have another 2-4-1 but few Avios to exploit it; ordinarily I would have topped up in the Avios sale, but chose not to on this occasion.

Whether or not we ultimately get to take the flights is another matter...
Old Mar 14, 20, 11:56 am
Suspended

I'm about to order a lot of wine with my Avios need something to cheer me up lol
Old Mar 14, 20, 11:58 am

Programs: Various memberships
I think if IAG goes down then we will be in something akin to a 1930's style depression.

Whilst I don't think for 1 second the group is "too big to fail" I suspect goverment action across Europe and the US would be taken to support major carriers if things got that bad. There is no way that the EU or US would be happy for "state backed" carriers from places like the Middle East and China to be the only ones still flying.

I would certainly be happier to hold BA E-vouchers than in a lot of other carriers. But I also agree that our first priority should be for those people that will loose their lives due to this virus as well as those who lose their jobs.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
These are, of course, first world problems of the highest order. And it seems churlish to even discuss them whilst lives and livelihoods are under threat.
I agree with both of these sentiments.
AdBoy, sammy..uk, argonath and 1 others like this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:35 pm

I am such a lower tier of BA ness (pardon my made up Englishness) it doesnt compare to your situation, but I have been saving Avios, buying subscriptions to the Economist through my company etc for years to get the flights for the 225 family and so would share the pain.

If things things got that bad where BA went bust or in effect became state owned I think we would all have many more things to worry about than loss of Avios and upgrades.

​Still I would at least have copies of the economist and Irish times to while away the hours...
sentosa and HFHFFlyer like this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Iíd expect a state aid waiver from the EU and the government to act before any of the major carriers came close to going under (which is not to say that Avios wonít be devalued, etc.).
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:53 pm

If you bought the tickets that resulted in you getting the evouchers on a credit card, would you not be able to reclaim the money from the credit card company if BA were to go bust?
Old Mar 14, 20, 3:54 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Hawk777 View Post
I'm about to order a lot of wine with my Avios need something to cheer me up lol
I must have lived under a rock, as I didn't realise I could buy wine with Avios Thank you for the heads-up, I've just splurged some of my 1.25M Avios.
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by HighwayToHEL View Post
I must have lived under a rock, as I didn't realise I could buy wine with Avios Thank you for the heads-up, I've just splurged some of my 1.25M Avios.
never a great way in terms of value but with that many I don't blame you!
Xoomer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, TAP Gold, Eurostar CB, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Platinum, Hertz 5*
I have approx £17,000 in evouchers from BA.
squawk likes this.
Old Mar 14, 20, 7:09 pm

It's hard to believe you are discussing a ba/iag failure. Really?
Old Mar 14, 20, 7:13 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver)
Yes if you want to play it safe burn your Avios if you can, there will be a lot of cost cutting and Avios devaluation to come I feel, if you think Cruz was being stingy before you just wait now!

i donít think BAís future at risk; there for sure will be a bailout if things got that bad.

this is a temporary shock, in fact China is getting back to work!
James91 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 20, 12:29 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jmj9905 View Post
It's hard to believe you are discussing a ba/iag failure. Really?
Discussions like these send a strong hint that itís time to buy IAG shares
Old Mar 15, 20, 12:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA2MM, WY Gold, QF Gold
Originally Posted by Duck1981 View Post
Discussions like these send a strong hint that itís time to buy IAG shares
Perhaps in a month's time...

Search this Thread
Search Engine: