Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Covid-19 flight cancellations | GUF renewals and extensions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL

I posted in the main covid-19 thread but I figure it's actually better to ask this niche question separately. I booked a flight with GUFs which is going to be cancelled due to government restrictions that bar BA flying the route on the scheduled date. The GUFs I used expired between the ticketing date and now. Am I out of luck and I lose them or will BA grant them an extension in the circumstances?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Here is one report:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32175599-post130.html
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:50 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I posted in the main covid-19 thread but I figure it's actually better to ask this niche question separately. I booked a flight with GUFs which is going to be cancelled due to government restrictions that bar BA flying the route on the scheduled date. The GUFs I used expired between the ticketing date and now. Am I out of luck and I lose them or will BA grant them an extension in the circumstances?
Have you already extended it? If not you'll receive a six month no-quibble extension.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by golfmad
Have you already extended it? If not you'll receive a six month no-quibble extension.
Yes, they'd had a 6-month extension.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:25 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Titanium
Yesterday I was allowed to change an Amex241/GUF2 booking (both now expired) to new dates 7 months ahead.
I had to pay the £35 change fee per passenger and had to pick flights with award availabilty, resulting in a minor gateway change. Small increase in taxes but an Avios refund to account for peak/non-peak dates. Effectively a cancellation and rebook but maintaining validity of both expired vouchers.
Very well handled by the Gold line, who picked up after about 15mins.
Good result, all things considered.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:43 am

COVID-19 and extension of GUF expiry

I have some GUFs that are expiring soon, but at this stage with multiple countries popping up with travel and quarantine restrictions, I'm not confident to book any flights until the situation somewhat settles. Does BA have a policy of extending GUF expiry dates under current climate, so members have more time to decide which flights to use them?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

From here;

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ired-gufs.html

I think you can get a six month extension.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 14, 2020, 3:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Six months extensions are the norm. Might be a struggle getting through on the phones right now
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:42 am

Anyone know if there's a policy on Amex 2for1 vouchers? I've got one expiring at the end of April. I know normally they're super strict on these, but obvs it's an unprecedented time.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by Dave_C
Anyone know if there's a policy on Amex 2for1 vouchers? I've got one expiring at the end of April. I know normally they're super strict on these, but obvs it's an unprecedented time.
A 6 month extension is possible for GGL in normal times so it isn't entirely impossible. I would ask but leave it until nearer the expiry date in the hopes that things had settled down a bit by then.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:15 am

I've tweeted them, and they've said there is a policy and to contact the Exec Club. I'm not going to call as there are far more pressing problems for a lot of people instead of this, just a shame they can't/won't publicly communicate what the policy is.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
Six months extensions are the norm. Might be a struggle getting through on the phones right now
I emailed BA and indeed they wrote back to grant 6 months extension on my soon to expire GUF. Very easily done. No need to call.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:37 am

I've just logged into my account to try and deal with a cancelled Moscow flight and noticed that my Amex companion vouhcer has extended by 6 months automatically, it has gone from August expiry to February 2021 - potentially very useful!
Old Mar 25, 2020, 4:51 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by alexwuk
Not sure of a formal policy. I did cancel a booking recently which included a GUF that expired last November. The GGL agent pro-actively requested an extension and it was re-issued with an additional 12 months so now expires in November 2020.
Old Mar 30, 2020, 6:54 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
My GUFs have now been extended by 6 months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.