Search

Cruz speaks: "this is worse than 9/11"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: BA Gold, Mucci des Transports de Navette
Originally Posted by allturnleft
Who is still flying atm?

Hard to get a feel from flyertalk

Really thoughr we should have had a worldwide shut down a month ago to take stock

Now individual countries are calling the shots

Is there not some commercial sense in downing tools and waiting

Did not Ryanair used to park up loads of planes when commercial demand was down
I had a day trip to AMS yesterday and both flights were nearly full. This was from LGW.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:06 am

On the empathy front, to be fair the message was an internal memo. Even with the expectation of leaks, the audience was not the travelling public but his own staff who may well be out of work very soon.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:10 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Who is still flying atm?

Really thoughr we should have had a worldwide shut down a month ago to take stock

I've had quite a number of trips cancelled, I now have a strange period where my diary has unexpectedly opened up - during the next 19 days 3 long haul trips have been cancelled by the other parties, and I've had to cancel several trips to the EU because of the recent US travel restrictions.

My current plan is to be in the USA during the whole of April and early May (Trump willing) followed by a (mid-May) 13 day business trip that includes SIN, SYD, MEL, BNE and another SIN. The remaining trips that were in my diary for June to mid-August have almost all been taken out. My diary for August/February looks normal at this stage and sees several trips to SIN, HKG, BKK, SYD, TYO, UAE and the US.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by mrkflyer
On the empathy front, to be fair the message was an internal memo. Even with the expectation of leaks, the audience was not the travelling public but his own staff who may well be out of work very soon.
In my view, this makes it a lot worse. It reads like its intended audience is the shareholders - it is very deadpan and cold.

I'd have expected an internal memo to be a heck of a lot more empathetic than that and at least consider the impact this is having on its staff.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:17 am

Originally Posted by OddJobMan
I had a day trip to AMS yesterday and both flights were nearly full. This was from LGW.
But that could be the case because they cancelled X amount of other flights to AMS.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by let_BAegones_be
But that could be the case because they cancelled X amount of other flights to AMS.
I'm on the 'not exactly peak' 2pm to Inverness on Monday and Club Europe is so full I've been pushed back, as a Gold, to Row 4.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, EY Plat, etc
Who is still flying atm?
Am a weekly Eurocommuter and am working from one of our UK sites instead, expecting at some point that I will have to self-isolate and I would rather be at home than in a hotel. I work for a big corporate and all international travel for critical customer visits (i.e. delivery of contractual requirements) requires an unbelievably high level of signoff. Want to go to a risk zone and you might as well ask for countersignature from the Queen and the Pope on your justification. To be fair most organisations are restricting visitors as well.

People are discovering that the quality of enforced web-based conferencing is pretty good and when business recovers I think there will be a behavioural shift and we won’t have the habit to fly as much as before.

Last edited by Robespierre; Mar 13, 2020 at 9:37 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
I don't doubt that there are lots of anecdotal examples of busy flights. I also don't doubt that, in aggregate, passenger numbers have fallen off a cliff and that BA (along with most other airlines) is in very, very deep doodoo.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, GfL, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, AllAccor Diamond, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Robespierre
Am a weekly Eurocommuter and am working from one of our UK sites instead, expecting at some point that I will have to self-isolate and I would rather be at home than in a hotel. I work for a big corporate and all international travel for critical customer visits (i.e. delivery of contractual requirements) requires an unbelievably high level of signoff. Want to go to a risk zone and you might as well ask for countersignature from the Queen and the Pope on your justification. To be fair most companies are restricting visitors as well.

People are discovering that the quality of enforced web-based conferencing is pretty good and when business recovers I think there will be a behavioural shift and we wont have the habit to fly as much as before.
I agree with this. Aside from dealing with the acute cash flow problems, there must be a wider concern for airlines that business travel as a concept is going to be badly and possibly permanently damaged by this crisis.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:43 am

Who is still flying atm?

Me.

Please do not tell me my occupation can be conducted virtually, because it cannot. And I do not have a 'home' to ride it out - so please do tell me where I should go during your proposed shutdown.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Unlike the majority here, I’m just a leisure traveller (x2!) and we’ve got 4 more trips booked with BA for the rest of the year. Feeling a bit nervous, as they’re all non-flex. All we can do is ‘keep calm’ and hope for the best.

Safely back from PUJ last Sunday, and then MLA (May, nervous about that one*), IAD, ANU and CPT.

* Many Italian tourists, and a constant procession of cruise ships.
groenroos likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:46 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Raffles
I'm on the 'not exactly peak' 2pm to Inverness on Monday and Club Europe is so full I've been pushed back, as a Gold, to Row 4.
I'm on that flight!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 9:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Me.

Please do not tell me my occupation can be conducted virtually, because it cannot. And I do not have a 'home' to ride it out - so please do tell me where I should go during your proposed shutdown.
A hotel, or anywhere else you would usually stay during your business travels.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:03 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by T8191
Unlike the majority here, I’m just a leisure traveller (x2!) and we’ve got 4 more trips booked with BA for the rest of the year. Feeling a bit nervous, as they’re all non-flex. All we can do is ‘keep calm’ and hope for the best.

Safely back from PUJ last Sunday, and then MLA (May, nervous about that one*), IAD, ANU and CPT.

* Many Italian tourists, and a constant procession of cruise ships.
Have a read of this:

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Malta

Persons entering Malta from any country from 13:00 CET on 13 March 2020 onwards must spend 14 days in mandatory quarantine, which 14 days start from the last day that they were in any of these countries. This is enforceable by law.

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/e...ronavirus.aspx

(Thanks very much to Mike P for the update alert)
T8191 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:06 am

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by mrkflyer
Its a really poorly worded email for the audience. These are people's lives being impacted and the communication is going to make things worse.

Common sense would be to state we're still assessing the impact, as everyone is.
wrp96 and Bohinjska Bistrica like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.