Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

UK FCO advise against all but essential travel to Madrid etc

Old Mar 13, 20, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Silver

I’m due to fly to Madrid from LHR in half an hour; BA Holiday. What options do I have considering I won’t get through on the phone in that time?

Link here:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain

“Still current at:13 March 2020Updated:13 March 2020Latest update:The Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) against all but essential travel to the regions that the Spanish Ministry of Health have designated as areas of community transmission of coronavirus, as follows: Madrid and La Rioja, and the municipalities of La Bastida and Vitoria (both in the Basque Country) and Miranda de Ebro (in Castilla y León) ('Health' and 'Summary' pages)”
ens100 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton Gold, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Will just the terminal at MAD count?
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
My understanding is that because it's been booked through BA Holidays there is a duty of care to either find a suitable 'safe' alternative, or to provide a full refund (which is what I assume you would prefer). They may still operate near-term flights and allow those pax who do want to travel the option (many of whom will likely be opting to return home).

BA Holidays should pro-actively reach out to affected pax in order of those closest to departure, but this is obviously very new news. I would head to the gate where surely the majority of pax are already assembled and staff should be on hand to advise immediate next steps.You should be able to sort the refund in due course...
Old Mar 13, 20, 6:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum Elite, Accor Silver
I popped to the Guest Services counter in the lounge. They offloaded me, made a note on the booking as to why and told me to call BA Holidays. Second call to them off the day now - 20mins in and expect another 40 before they answer!

Sorry for not posting in the COVID threads; was done in a hurry. Feel free to merge if appropriate or lock.
ens100, mjh0 and AJA_ like this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: