Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norway quarantine effect on OSL Transfers?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2020, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I am now at Doha Airport and the transfer desk checked again and said that transit is fine, as long as you don’t need to collect bags. I will keep my fingers crossed and see what happens on arrival in Oslo. As stated up thread my BA back to LHR is a similar time to the QR Back to Doha, hopefully sense will prevail. 🤞🤞
FLYGVA and GinFizz like this.

Last edited by atcodave; Mar 14, 2020 at 10:12 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:42 am

In general about transfer in Oslo now: It will be a high risk operations going forward. My guess is that BA in a very short time will be down one return-flight to Oslo pr day (if any). With few flights and delays there is a chance to suddenly get stuck at OSL or being returned! IMHO it is a very likely scenario due to all the travel bans. The rules here in Norway are changing every day now, becoming stricter as some people are not respecting the current rules and the reason for having he rules or they are trying to bend the rules.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:21 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Smile

Now sat in the disappointing OSL lounge, with a classic Blue Nun red. The whole transfer process went very smoothly, through the e-gates, follow connecting flights sign, quick security check, where they did ask where I was transferring too and then straight out into the departure area. Obviously the virus situation is very fluid so who knows what will happen next.
FLYGVA, GinFizz and ENOV like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:30 am

Programs: BA GO, CX SL
Not quite a BA example but I was going to fly SK ARN-OSL today and then fly AY OSL-HEL-SIN tomorrow. SK would not let me check in and board because my flight out of Oslo was the next day. If it was the same day, they could have checked my bag through and allowed me to transit through Oslo. I couldn't get on to AY to changed my flight date to today so decided to book a new ticket out of ARN to SIN.

So I would be cautious with checked baggage as you are unlikely to be able to collect your bag in Norway to check in for your onward flight.
GinFizz and atcodave like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:10 am

The FCO have now advised on all but essential travel to Norway:

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/norway

I imagine the number of BA flights will soon become limited
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:12 pm

Programs: krisflyer
Was meant to book LHR - OSL, then OSL - DOH - SIN for next weekend...guess it's not worth the risk at all.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 11:11 am

Out of curiosity, anyone had any experiences with transiting in the past 2 days?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: BA OWS, A3*G
Not personal experience, but the OSL airport operator is currently advising the following (might be useful for people looking back through this thread in coming weeks):

Originally Posted by Avinor
From Monday, March 16 at 8:00 a.m. the Government will be closing the border to foreign nationals who lack a residence permit in Norway. All domestic traffic will go as normal. Read more here or at the bottom of this page. We are constantly monitoring the situation, and new information will be provided on avinor.no as soon as it is available. We ask all travellers to consult the information provided by their airline. The government and the country's top health authorities have introduced new restrictions for travelers at Oslo Airport. In order to prevent the coronavirus infection and detect the sick as early as possible, the measures have become considerably more stringent at the airport. Read more here.

Information about quarantine

The Norwegian Directorate of Health has decided that all individuals arriving to Norway will be quarantined. Read more here.

Information about transfer

• If you come from abroad and will travel abroad on the same day, this will be handled by the traveler himself.
  • If you come from abroad and are going to travel abroad the next day, you must stay at a quarantine hotel.

These are not denied entry to Norway:

• EEA citizens and their family members residing or working in Norway
  • EEA citizens who need to travel through Norway to get home
  • Foreigners who only have to stay in airport transit before leaving Norway

Closing nine short runway airports

Avinor has decided to close nine short runway airports (STOL airports) temporarily for commercial traffic from Wednesday 18 March. Emergency preparedness for ambulance aircraft will be available. Read more here. We ask all travellers to consult the information provided by their airline.

Ongoing dialogue with national health authorities

Avinor is engaged in an ongoing dialogue with national health authorities to ensure a correct situational picture and take the appropriate steps at our airports. Avinor has implemented measures related to information dissemination on infection control, hand washing and cleaning. Avinor has, on the recommendation of health authorities, increased the cleaning frequency and put out hand disinfection in vulnerable places. It is the central authorities at the Norwegian Institute of Public Health, Ministry of Health and Care Services and the Directorate of Health who prepare national guidelines and actions for Norwegian airports and border crossings. Our information is always based on the latest information from the Norwegian Institute of Public Health.

Limited offer in the terminal

There is now limited access to restaurants and shops at Avinor's airports. Opening hours may differ. We apologize for the inconvenience this causes.

Do you have question?

We ask you to read the Norwegian Directorate of Health travel advice here before contacting Avinor.

Press release from the Government

The Government will close the border to foreign nationals who lack a residence permit in Norway. They will be turned away at the border under provisions of a Norwegian law relating to the control of communicable diseases. Temporary entry and exit controls will also be introduced at the internal Schengen border.

‘In the current situation, we must concentrate on stopping the spread of infection in Norway. It is essential that we do not import additional infection risk from other countries. The Government will ensure, however, that Norwegians who are now abroad and people who live or work in Norway can still enter the country,’ said Minister of Justice and Public Security Monica Mæland (Conservative Party).In order to execute this, new regulations are being prepared pursuant to section 7-12 of Norway’s Act relating to control of communicable diseases, including rules on turning away foreign nationals who do not have a residence permit in Norway. Exemptions will be provided for EEA citizens and their family members who reside in Norway. Exemptions are also being prepared for EEA citizens who work in Norway.‘In addition, a package of border control measures is on the way for which implementation authority already exists, including the reintroduction of internal border controls and a request for assistance from the health service to the police,’ Ms Mæland said.

Norwegian airports not closing

The Government will be closing the border to foreign nationals who lack a residence permit in Norway. They will be turned away at the border under provisions of a Norwegian law relating to the control of communicable diseases.However, Norwegian airports are not closing. All Norwegian citizens and persons who live or work in Norway will continue to be let into the country. Exemptions will be provided for European Economic Area (EEA) citizens and their family members who reside in Norway. Exemptions are also being prepared for EEA citizens who work in Norway. Aircraft from abroad will be landing at Norwegian airports in the coming week, allowing Norwegians to get home. We will also be contacting the authorities in other countries to help ensure that the airlines are permitted to fly Norwegians home to Norway. But in this situation we are unable to provide guarantees. The airports will be open for international flights enabling tourists/foreign nationals to travel out.

Temporary border controls

The police are instituting temporary entry and exit controls at the inner and outer Schengen border, but no border crossing points are being closed.To limit the spread of infection by people arriving in Norway from other countries, extensive border controls are being introduced with effect from Monday 16 March at 8 a.m.‘ This will not impair domestic air traffic. Nor is there any reason to hoard goods. Transport and the provision of goods, including crucial products like medicines, will continue,’ said the Minister of Justice and Public Security
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:24 pm

Information about transfer

• If you come from abroad and will travel abroad on the same day, this will be handled by the traveler himself.
  • If you come from abroad and are going to travel abroad the next day, you must stay at a quarantine hotel.

These are not denied entry to Norway:

• EEA citizens and their family members residing or working in Norway
  • EEA citizens who need to travel through Norway to get home
  • Foreigners who only have to stay in airport transit before leaving Norway

Sounds positive if you need to transit...
Old Mar 17, 2020, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by LiHS
Not personal experience, but the OSL airport operator is currently advising the following (might be useful for people looking back through this thread in coming weeks):
Does anyone know if these conditions apply to Stockholm Arlanda as well?
Old Mar 17, 2020, 6:10 pm

https://ec.europa.eu/transparency/re...AIN-PART-1.PDF

Appears transit pax are exempted. Can anyone please corroborate.
Old Mar 17, 2020, 7:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by TheRealBabushka
Does anyone know if these conditions apply to Stockholm Arlanda as well?
As Stockholm is in Sweden instead of Norway I would argue that the conditions won’t apply.

I hope you’ve seen that Sweden has not announced any border closures (yet).
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:51 am

Unfortunately, these days you are not able to leave the transfer area to claim luggage.
It is important to note that you need to transfer between 06:00 - 23:00.
Regards
from Oslo’s border control. Ok to transit. But not ok to claim your luggage. So hand carry it is.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by makrxx

Sounds positive if you need to transit...

Old Mar 19, 2020, 1:43 am

Originally Posted by duvin
As Stockholm is in Sweden instead of Norway I would argue that the conditions won’t apply.

I hope you’ve seen that Sweden has not announced any border closures (yet).
Yes, I’ve recently learnt that the EU does not have competency in this area, with powers to close borders reserved for national government. So in effect the EU decision to close borders is simply guidance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.