Norway quarantine effect on OSL Transfers?

Old Mar 13, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I too am flying LHR - OSL and transfering to OSL - DOH - SIN on 19 March in order to get home. I am on separate BA/QR tickets and HBO so presumably I can check in at OSL for my QR flight without passing through immigration?

Assuming that transit remains allowed by the Norwegian authorities...
Old Mar 13, 2020, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MrCheapSeats
I too am flying LHR - OSL and transfering to OSL - DOH - SIN on 19 March in order to get home. I am on separate BA/QR tickets and HBO so presumably I can check in at OSL for my QR flight without passing through immigration?

Assuming that transit remains allowed by the Norwegian authorities...
You should check-in online and get the boarding pass on QR's app or via PDF / SMS link. At the QR desk in OSL they continue the usual QR irritating habit of giving you a printed boarding pass anyway but you best check-in in advance. The usual QR gate is very close to the BA flight and you should look at the B2B guide for information as to how to go directly from a BA service to the QR gate.
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Thanks!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 2:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
A word of caution. None of the English-language documents, posted on Norway's embassy and consular websites, including the health declaration itself, make any exemption for transit passengers, while they do create an exemption for the "operators," e.g. crew, themselves.

I would start with a call to the closest Norwegian consulate and ask to be directed to reliable documentation. Perhaps the absence of documentation exempting transit speaks for itself.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:25 pm

New rules out: oslo airport (via local council) are denying entry to non Nordic citizens. If you can’t immediately return, you’ll be lodged in a hotel for first possible return. This via a newspaper but without link to actual source.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
So...after I opted to disembark from BA766 this afternoon and collected my bags I headed over to T4 to the Qatar Airways ticket desk. They could not do anything with my ticket as I had already checked in. The agent did however send an email to QR in Oslo who now had control of the ticket to ask them to "un-check me in" - about an hour or so later my ticket was updated as no longer checked-in. Obviously with the agent not being able to do anything with the ticket at the time I did not ask them to do anything further. While talking to him 2 other passengers that had also been on the same BA flight bound for Oslo at the Qatar ticketing desk to see if they could also change their tickets.
From T4 I headed over to T2 to the SK ticket desk. BA and their ridiculous policy of not checking bags through unless on a single ticket means that there was no way I could have just transited Oslo without clearing immigration (I had planned on spending the night there tonight, but even if I tried to change for tomorrow's flight so it would be a "connection"). SK advised that they would be able to book me on tomorrow's flight and that they are able to check bags through onto QR (despite being *A...). The lady at the SK desk was extremely helpful though and said that the situation was fluid and that she was unsure what the Norwegians would do re transit passengers, so she called Oslo and spoke to someone there (I assume the SK office there), and was told that all passengers off non-Nordic flights would be met on arrival and either turned around or made to quarantine, and although transit was theoretically possible that they strongly advised against taking the chance. So home it was and application for a refund made....
Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
In regards to the BA ticket LHR-OSL-LHR can someone advise what would be the best way at looking to get a refund for this ticket, and would I be eligible for a refund based on the new measures in place by the Norwegian government. Brief background:

Arrived at LHR this morning and did a check-in at a check-in desk with a real person who issued me a paper boarding pass and took bags.
Boarded plane when boarding started.
Overheard fellow passenger (Norwegian) talking to a crew member about the new restrictions that had just been brought in and that all Norwegians returning would need to go into 14 days quarantine.
Immediately started looking online and seeing the reports - asked a member of crew who knew nothing of the changes, but asked her colleague. He was able to bring something up on his tablet but nothing official. They then asked the pilot who also knew nothing but was also hearing reports.
As I was entering Norway and not just transiting I opted not to go, and left the flight and bags were offloaded. Once off apparently an announcement was made (I do not know what exactly was said as I was not there) but some other passengers then also decided to disembark rather than be turned around on arrival or face quarantine.
The foreign office website has the advice, but it seems to have been posted at some stage late morning or early afternoon, probably about the time I was getting on or off the plane.

Any thoughts on where I would stand requesting a refund? And also, what would be the best place to request it - if I go into manage my booking only the return leg is showing, and if I cancel they would only look at a refund for that return leg I assume, is there any email address that I could use?
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:29 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Could I please remind you that QR-specific discussions need to take place in QR forum please? You are better off posting those questions/discussions in QR forum, but there are also additional technical issues created by OT posts.

I had to do some strange manoeuvring to move QR-specific posts to QR forum, which made a bit of a mess in QR forum, which is not good as it puts extra workload on QR forum moderators.

Please, don't post QR-specific queries/posts in BA forum, and instead, post them on the appropriate thread in QR forum: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/qata...lege-club-644/

Same applies to any other airline - please make sure that anything specific to any non-BA airline is posted in the relevant forum for that airline, and not on BA forum.

Thank you for your cooperation!

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
wrp96 and UKtravelbear like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:50 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jfs5

I have also asked Avinor to clarify whether I could claim my bag in OSL and recheck it for the QR flight. Waiting to hear back from them but my feeling is that they are going to say OK as long as we are not showing any symptoms.
So i got a reply from Avinor to my question regarding the ability to clear immigration at OSL, claim my bag from my BA flight and continue to the departure hall and check in for my next flight and here is the reply I got:

"Hello.
You can re-check your luggage to Doha.
Best regards Bente,
Oslo Airport"
MaxFlyer likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 1:55 am

So i got a reply from Avinor to my question regarding the ability to clear immigration at OSL, claim my bag from my BA flight and continue to the departure hall and check in for my next flight and here is the reply I got:

"Hello.
Best regards Bente,
Oslo Airport"
I would not feel at all comfortable working on the basis of that response. It's technically possible to collect and recheck bags of course, if you go through immigration, but would immigration people at OSL allow you to go landside? I think you should clarify the matter with Norwegian immigration authority rather than the airport operator.
MaxFlyer and Lefly like this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I would not feel at all comfortable working on the basis of that response. It's technically possible to collect and recheck bags of course, if you go through immigration, but would immigration people at OSL allow you to go landside? I think you should clarify the matter with Norwegian immigration authority rather than the airport operator.
I’ve also emailed asking the same thing as I’m meant to be arriving from Doha tomorrow. You would think the airport operator would know. Not sure if I should take the risk.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by HP28
You would think the airport operator would know.
I would not think that, actually.

If the situation is pretty critical, I would not rely on anything less than written words from those who are authorised to apply whatever the ruling is (i.e. the immigration officers, quarantine officer etc.) and not the airport operator.
Finkface likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:16 am

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I would not think that, actually.

If the situation is pretty critical, I would not rely on anything less than written words from those who are authorised to apply whatever the ruling is (i.e. the immigration officers, quarantine officer etc.) and not the airport operator.
I agree. I meant in the sense that the authorities should convey that information to the operator and relevant staff.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:17 am

The home guard is deployed at the airport and is selectively meeting flights. The rules are foreigners who cannot give residency will be asked to return first possible flight. As such if you can prove immediate onward travel, I would think you’d be fine. I’d be more worried about flights becoming suspended. TK have now cancelled all flights.
Old Mar 14, 2020, 2:19 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT

"Hello.
Best regards Bente,
Oslo Airport"
Brits on the BA766 yesterday that traveled on the delay flight were met at the jet bridge and if they weren’t resident in Norway were put back on the same aircraft not even making it to Immigration and baggage hall.

This is a government imposed ban that’s in place not trying to sneak into a lounge. What makes you think that legislation put into effect to stop foreigners (potential virus carriers) from going to immigration will allow you to go to immigration, baggage reclaim and check in? Not being disrespectful here but what’s your plan B if a you can’t check your bags through (which I doubt you will be able to) IF this happens, what makes you think you will be able to circumvent government imposed preventive measures to pick up an ex-eu farE.
wrp96 likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.