Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Norway quarantine effect on OSL Transfers?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I am booked on March 16 for a LHR-OSL flight connecting to DOH on QR.
Sorry, we are in the midst of a Coronavirus epidemic. Longhaul travel with seperate tickets is an extremely stupid move. You may strand in OSL, because QR may elect to cancel its route.
My recommendation: Cancel your trip!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:58 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
Sorry, we are in the midst of a Coronavirus epidemic. Longhaul travel with seperate tickets is an extremely stupid move. You may strand in OSL, because QR may elect to cancel its route.
My recommendation: Cancel your trip!
I am in a sort of a similar dilema - have BA LHR - OSL and then QR OSL - DOH and onwards (for September) - with hindsight and knowing the impact of the C-19 virus it is a stupid move, but when we booked it back way back we had no idea it would get to this. I am hoping that by September things will settle down but it is not a fun situation to be in so I feel for you OP.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
September is still some way forward.
However, as long as the Coronavirus crisis is not clearly subsiding -> no self-connects; no longhaul travel; better stay home!

Last edited by warakorn; Mar 13, 2020 at 7:18 am
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, ex-VS Gold, ex-UA Gold, Premier Inn Platinum-Iridium
I'd be asking QR if they have any waivers in place for Norway such that they can get you out of a UK airport in the circumstances - explaining you won't be able to travel to Norway under the latest restrictions.

There quite possibly isn't a policy for this, so you might need to be patient.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by ens100
I am in a sort of a similar dilema - have BA LHR - OSL and then QR OSL - DOH and onwards (for September) - with hindsight and knowing the impact of the C-19 virus it is a stupid move, but when we booked it back way back we had no idea it would get to this. I am hoping that by September things will settle down but it is not a fun situation to be in so I feel for you OP.
As it is already booked and it falls outside of both carrier's special waiver policy based on date, I would simply leave it alone. It is impossible to predict what routes will be flown in September and on what schedule and thus not worth remotely worrying about until either a change is announced or existing policies are extended.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I got through to BA on the phone and was told I could rebook my ex-OSL to USA between the 12th Apr and some point in August.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by warakorn
September is still some way forward.
However, as long as the Coronavirus crisis is not clearly subsiding -> no self-connects; no longhaul travel; better stay home!
Originally Posted by Often1
As it is already booked and it falls outside of both carrier's special waiver policy based on date, I would simply leave it alone. It is impossible to predict what routes will be flown in September and on what schedule and thus not worth remotely worrying about until either a change is announced or existing policies are extended.
Yes agreed it is a long way off and so much is changing on a day to day basis so little point stressing or doing anything yet. I was more sympathising with the OP who has a trip in the next few days.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:47 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I checked in at a personned desk at LHR for BA766 to OSL at 12:55 today and nothing mentioned. When I boarded I heard a Norwegian chatting you the cabin crew saying that all Norwegians have to go into quarantine. None of the BA staff nor pilot had any idea there was anything wrong with Norway.....opted to offload as I cannot be quarantined for 2 weeks in Oslo. Am due to fly onwards on QR tomorrow....so going to head to T4 to see if QR can do anything
ens100 likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mjh0
I'd be asking QR if they have any waivers in place for Norway such that they can get you out of a UK airport in the circumstances - explaining you won't be able to travel to Norway under the latest restrictions.
I'm pretty sure QR's normal rebooking policy is within 500 miles, so normally means you'd be looking at GOT, ARN, CPH, HEL as alternatives. However, we're not in normal times.

If you are considering cancelling the trip, time is running out, as QR's general Covid-19 waiver requires this to be requested "up to 3 days prior to departure".

I'd call QR and ask them for clarity. If they have no information available at present, push to either be rerouted from the UK or have it noted that you called 3 days+, so that if you have to cancel closer to departure you may still get the travel credit issued.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by FLYGVA
Have you tried to contat them via Twitter (https://twitter.com/Oslolufthavn)
Best advice I received all day. Thank you!

I contacted them via Twitter and this is the answer I got from them.

"No quarantine for transfers, all passengers without symptoms can carry on to their end destination. Please keep distance to other people as far as possible, and be extra careful with hygiene. Best Regards, Terje / Avinor"
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:11 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jfs5
Best advice I received all day. Thank you!

I contacted them via Twitter and this is the answer I got from them.

"No quarantine for transfers, all passengers without symptoms can carry on to their end destination. Please keep distance to other people as far as possible, and be extra careful with hygiene. Best Regards, Terje / Avinor"
Are you going to go hand luggage only, or have you managed to find a way to get your checked bags checked through to QR?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:18 am

From the official Norwegian Health Authority announcement:
Travellers from countries outside of the Nordic region who are not residents of Norway will be asked to return to their home country. The alternative for these travellers is quarantine. Travellers with symptoms will be isolated.
If I were normally resident in Germany, with a Japanese passport, arriving in Oslo on a flight from the UK, which country would they want to send me back too? Or would they care, as long as I left?

If I chose to stay, how would they supervise my journey into quarantine?

If I chose to leave immediately, how would collection of my bags and checkin for my flight to my three possible "home countries", or a fourth country, be managed?

From a post that arrived whilst I was composing this, it seems they are taling a reasonable approach, and that collecting an re-checking bags will be possible.

Last edited by RGS5526; Mar 13, 2020 at 11:24 am Reason: Overtaken by a slightly earlier post.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Isn’t standard procedure for such travellers to be sent back to wherever they flew in from? This happens plenty of times everyday all over the world. Corona is no different from flying in without a valid visa for instance. Regardless, the point is you would not be let in.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gms
have you managed to find a way to get your checked bags checked through to QR?
I have contacted BA to see if they would make an exception and check my bags through. The phone agent said yes but the check-in desk folks may have a different view!

I have also asked Avinor to clarify whether I could claim my bag in OSL and recheck it for the QR flight. Waiting to hear back from them but my feeling is that they are going to say OK as long as we are not showing any symptoms.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 11:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
My personal view would be to go hand baggage only. I wouldn't want to come unstuck over a baggage issue, when HBO will probably work fine. The baggage reclaim in OSL is after immigration.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.