Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR T5 Arrivals Costa Coffee and suspicious "O2 UK PAY & GO" transactions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 3:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

Anyone who has used Costa Coffee T5 Arrivals and used either a Chip and Pin or a Contactless in the last few weeks. Check your bank statements for "O2 UK PAY & GO" transactions - typically £10 - £15 area - that you do not recognise. These would typically be 2 days after the legitimate Costa Coffee transaction. This is the fairly big Costa directly in front of International Arrivals landside.

[And a reminder that if using contactless you can pay with your card upside down and/or with your thumb obscuring the final digits]
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:18 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
What happened? If you don't mind me asking? Did someone take a pic of your card? or had some kind bogus "Contactless" machine scanning for peoples card?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Fontana
What happened? If you don't mind me asking? Did someone take a pic of your card? or had some kind bogus "Contactless" machine scanning for peoples card?
It didn't happen to me. But the suspicion is that some filming or photography is going on, yes, but the machine in question is otherwise legitimate.
Fontana likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: BAEC
I try to use Apple Pay wherever possible
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Originally Posted by gerryod5
I try to use Apple Pay wherever possible
What about cash?? It seems to be becoming more secure as electronic means are less secure.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:11 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Jagboi
What about cash?? It seems to be becoming more secure as electronic means are less secure.
Right now I would avoid cash at all cost.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: BAEC
Apple Pay seems to market itself at the most secure, as the transaction is encrypted and Apple don’t have visibility of the transaction. Having said that, Card details are still visible on screen, just as it would be physically in your hand but with less numbers. If this is more of a problem because of a device corrupting a physical card then revert to cash or be very discreet with your card. But I do not know what is happening here.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:40 pm

It’s been a while since I looked at the technical details of Apple Pay, but my understanding (from what I remember) is that it generates a unique “card number” for each device.

So if there is fraud, there is no lasting damage as it is a virtual number - it can be cancelled without affecting the underlying account (ie no need to cancel cards etc).
Stez likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by squawk
It’s been a while since I looked at the technical details of Apple Pay, but my understanding (from what I remember) is that it generates a unique “card number” for each device.

So if there is fraud, there is no lasting damage as it is a virtual number - it can be cancelled without affecting the underlying account (ie no need to cancel cards etc).
Absolutely correct. Apple only displays 4 digits of any card number on screen, with no expiry date or CVV visible at any time. The number in the ‘chip’ is fully tokenised to the extent that no one can see what it is (even you). This technique is almost impossible to break, even in cases where a transaction is filmed.
squawk likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 4:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed.
Must admit I haven't a clue what this alternative method of paying for a coffee is to be honest.....too long stuck out in the pampa methinks. However if corporate-wage-slave starts a thread on it, it must be worth taking heed.
JayeJ and Worcester like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.