Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Old Jun 6, 20, 5:35 am
  #841  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 131
How is each airline in the IAG group going through similar restructuring? What exactly is happening at Iberia, Vueling and Level that is similar to what BA and EI are going through? Iberia are even buying an airline! Which doesnt make sense to me since IBs liquidity should be IAGs also? Or am I mistaken?

Also, Im not surprised that Alex Cruz hasnt made any appearances. Other than the few emails he has sent to staff, he might as well be missing. It was the same during normal times, we only ever heard from him if he was delivering results, or if there was drama such as IT failures or strikes.
TheMan123 is offline  
Old Jun 6, 20, 6:36 pm
  #842  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: London, UK
Programs: BAEC
Posts: 3,260
Well over the last few weeks we’ve seen so many announcements and it made me really think about the future for BA.

Will BA hit a breaking point with its loyal staff, leading to sour relations and a bad atmosphere in the working environment? Will we see endless strikes in 2021? Will the government come down on BA hard and favour airlines like Virgin who seem to behave ‘morally’?

The management, well I get some of the decisions they have made, but some just seem extreme. There seems to be no pride in BA, no unnecessary expenditure just to give BA that edge. The mindset seems to be that as long as they have great profits then who cares about their image. I believe Cruz has had a lot of stick over the years, most of it uncalled for. But in this situation he is showing to be a poor leader. Employees and customers want transparency and fairness, talk to them, show you’re actively engaging with them. Walsh is always speaking for BA, as for Alex, well he is never seen. Even if he is busy (which I understand) he should put together a 5 min video for staff every week. Communication is key!

In terms of service, I worry that we will soon reach a point where people do give up on BA, and for real this time! If easyJet ever do show up at LHR, BA short haul is dust unless they improve themselves again. Virgin now have a good US/Caribbean route network from LHR and can use this to attack BA even more. I have 1 more CE trip booked for the end of the year, and if I get biscuits and water, then that says it all. But it fear that until BA get proper competition at LHR, things will remain the same ~ inconsistent!

After all of this, I’d like BA to improve themselves. Whether it be a small gesture or small ‘real’ enhancement. BA needs to go back to being our proud flag carrier, not a British Iberia. Do IAG not want BA to be the world’s favourite airline again? Maybe Luis Gallego will see sense and improve BA’s brand image.

As for every member of staff at BA, keep being yourselves! You all make BA what it is, and I will forever be grateful for the memories you have created for me on flights. BA flights are memorable not for Percy Pigs and Spaceflex galleys, but the interactions I have with each one of you!
TraumaDoc likes this.
BAeuro is offline  
Old Jun 6, 20, 7:03 pm
  #843  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 98
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I understand the cynics, as I can be myself however Im mostly sarcastic in my tone BUT putting that aside, I have a genuine question that would welcome the more genuine answers...why has Alex Cruz as the CEO of BA not made a public appearance nor been forced to make one, such as todays opportunity on Sky News?

I understand WW is the overall chief for IAG, however as WW said himself today the entities under IAG umbrella operate and manage individually. Separate balance sheets and management teams.

Now in a separate thought to the above and Im not suggesting there is any relation to above but there was a line that WW said in the interview and it did catch my attention..something along the lines of... people work extremely hard in BA and some may be here and some may not in the future

Clearly that is directed at some of staff sadly being made redundant but a little thought crossed my mind as to whether his reference was to Cruz as one of those! Lets be even clearer Im making that up and its not my intention to start a is Cruz leaving? thread.

So where is the CEO of BA in and during the greatest ever challenge BA has faced? Am I expecting too much from a CEO by making an appearance?
Perhaps Alex Cruz has been furloughed?!
rockflyertalk likes this.
mattoo is offline  
Old Jun 7, 20, 1:36 am
  #844  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 86
I'm regularly checking up on the price of a re-do of our cancelled BA holiday... I would book, but as we're considering January 2021, we're just outside the 'book with confidence' policy and of course travel insurance wouldn't cover it either!

Given this is the speculation thread, what do we think is the likelihood of that book with confidence policy will be extended at some point in the near future?
GabrielExea is offline  
Old Jun 7, 20, 1:39 am
  #845  
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,743
Originally Posted by rockflyertalk
I understand the cynics, as I can be myself however Im mostly sarcastic in my tone BUT putting that aside, I have a genuine question that would welcome the more genuine answers...why has Alex Cruz as the CEO of BA not made a public appearance nor been forced to make one, such as todays opportunity on Sky News?

I understand WW is the overall chief for IAG, however as WW said himself today the entities under IAG umbrella operate and manage individually. Separate balance sheets and management teams.

Now in a separate thought to the above and Im not suggesting there is any relation to above but there was a line that WW said in the interview and it did catch my attention..something along the lines of... people work extremely hard in BA and some may be here and some may not in the future

Clearly that is directed at some of staff sadly being made redundant but a little thought crossed my mind as to whether his reference was to Cruz as one of those! Lets be even clearer Im making that up and its not my intention to start a is Cruz leaving? thread.

So where is the CEO of BA in and during the greatest ever challenge BA has faced? Am I expecting too much from a CEO by making an appearance?
Because he's been a mediocre leader and a bad communicator since day dot. He's the guy breezing through the office glued to his phone, not a word to anyone. Here's to hoping that Luis Gallego gives him the boot.
13901 is offline  
Old Jun 7, 20, 2:21 am
  #846  
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Posts: 649
Originally Posted by 13901
Here's to hoping that Luis Gallego gives him the boot.
Be careful what you wish for. His successor could be worse.
GumshoeW12 is online now  
Old Jun 7, 20, 3:01 am
  #847  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bombay
Programs: EC Blue, EB Silver, FB Gold
Posts: 548
Ive just updated my Barking born cats CV. Hes keen on moving back to London.
RoyalSwazi is offline  
Old Jun 16, 20, 6:09 am
  #848  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver
Programs: BA, Alaska, AA, KLM, Delta
Posts: 909
Surprised as to loads on flights.

LHR to YVR July 7 cancelled. Called to inquire as to availability. Advised there are 4 to 5 seats available in economy cabins. That does not sound like any social distancing at all regardless of BA's stated adherence to safety protocols.
testycal is offline  
Old Jun 16, 20, 6:12 am
  #849  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,890
Originally Posted by testycal
Surprised as to loads on flights.

LHR to YVR July 7 cancelled. Called to inquire as to availability. Advised there are 4 to 5 seats available in economy cabins. That does not sound like any social distancing at all regardless of BA's stated adherence to safety protocols.
what flight were you asking about for availability?
KARFA is offline  
Old Jun 16, 20, 6:38 am
  #850  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver
Programs: BA, Alaska, AA, KLM, Delta
Posts: 909
Originally Posted by KARFA
what flight were you asking about for availability?
Economy seats availability LHR to YVR. The within 14 days from the cancelled flight is not worth much flexibility as July 7 to July 16 have been cancelled. EC agent advised me that if no seats available then I have to cancel and re book again using avios...only that now into limited if any availability and out of low season or take a voucher for later travel. Also as an ancillary question...what happened to social distancing protocols? I guess BA's attitude is in for a dime in a for a dollar to keep the discussion revenue oriented. Again..told to stand 2 meters apart at airport lineups, boarding, etc but sitting 12 inches from a seatmate in a closed environment? I would have thought there would be some gradual steps being taken...therefore my statement above.
  1. July16 1
  2. July 17 3
  3. July 18 4
  4. July 19 more than 9
  5. July 20 5
  6. July 21 4
I do not have a paid subscription to EF (if that makes a difference) but these dates are showing as being wide open so there is a disparity in information. They have the correct aircraft though 777

Last edited by testycal; Jun 16, 20 at 6:50 am
testycal is offline  
Old Jun 16, 20, 7:30 am
  #851  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,890
Originally Posted by testycal
Economy seats availability LHR to YVR. The within 14 days from the cancelled flight is not worth much flexibility as July 7 to July 16 have been cancelled. EC agent advised me that if no seats available then I have to cancel and re book again using avios...only that now into limited if any availability and out of low season or take a voucher for later travel. Also as an ancillary question...what happened to social distancing protocols? I guess BA's attitude is in for a dime in a for a dollar to keep the discussion revenue oriented. Again..told to stand 2 meters apart at airport lineups, boarding, etc but sitting 12 inches from a seatmate in a closed environment? I would have thought there would be some gradual steps being taken...therefore my statement above.
  1. July16 1
  2. July 17 3
  3. July 18 4
  4. July 19 more than 9
  5. July 20 5
  6. July 21 4
I do not have a paid subscription to EF (if that makes a difference) but these dates are showing as being wide open so there is a disparity in information. They have the correct aircraft though 777
So that is availability only on the BA direct flight to YVR, and those numbers do seem to relate to what is shown in EF.

Now for those flights only Y class availability - tbh I suspect they are not full whatsoever, and selling class availability is being restricted deliberately atm.

Do you want to go on the original date? Were they not prepared to rebook on another airline (perhaps avoiding the US)?

Alternatively do you want to rebook on one of those dates you listed where there are direct BA flights to YVR? If you just need one seat in Y then just go for that?
KARFA is offline  
Old Jun 16, 20, 8:06 am
  #852  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver
Programs: BA, Alaska, AA, KLM, Delta
Posts: 909
Originally Posted by KARFA
what flight were you asking about for availability?
Originally Posted by KARFA
So that is availability only on the BA direct flight to YVR, and those numbers do seem to relate to what is shown in EF.

Now for those flights only Y class availability - tbh I suspect they are not full whatsoever, and selling class availability is being restricted deliberately atm.

Do you want to go on the original date? Were they not prepared to rebook on another airline (perhaps avoiding the US)?

Alternatively do you want to rebook on one of those dates you listed where there are direct BA flights to YVR? If you just need one seat in Y then just go for that?

Asked what options are available. I was not offered other than with BA. The only other travel option is with Air Canada that flies TLV YYZ YVR. I do not suppose that would be volunteered. Does BA have an obligation to book that if I request? All things considered I prefer BA (not an AC fan) but as well there is the risk of there being another rolling cancellation. I surmise that flights were cancelled July 1 to July 15 due to lack of load. Or perhaps BA is taking reservations hoping that Canada will loosen arrival restrictions that restrict practically all foreign national tourists. I have a feeling that will not change much going forward with the result it being questionable whether BA will fly LHR YVR soon..there a lot of Canadians in the UK and perhaps that might keep the flights going as Canadians may return with isolation protocol but ...my speculation. Would BA mix and match my flight? BA flies TLV to LHR - that flight is still a good flight. From LHR I could take AC to YVR. Would I be able to retain the return leg on BA? Never done this before. Thank you very much for you comments. No issue taking the offered flights but I suppose I risk another cancellation given my concerns and could ensure flights using the BA from TLV to LHR and AC from LHR to YVR method.
testycal is offline  
Old Jun 16, 20, 4:27 pm
  #853  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,890
Originally Posted by testycal
Asked what options are available. I was not offered other than with BA. The only other travel option is with Air Canada that flies TLV YYZ YVR. I do not suppose that would be volunteered. Does BA have an obligation to book that if I request? All things considered I prefer BA (not an AC fan) but as well there is the risk of there being another rolling cancellation. I surmise that flights were cancelled July 1 to July 15 due to lack of load. Or perhaps BA is taking reservations hoping that Canada will loosen arrival restrictions that restrict practically all foreign national tourists. I have a feeling that will not change much going forward with the result it being questionable whether BA will fly LHR YVR soon..there a lot of Canadians in the UK and perhaps that might keep the flights going as Canadians may return with isolation protocol but ...my speculation. Would BA mix and match my flight? BA flies TLV to LHR - that flight is still a good flight. From LHR I could take AC to YVR. Would I be able to retain the return leg on BA? Never done this before. Thank you very much for you comments. No issue taking the offered flights but I suppose I risk another cancellation given my concerns and could ensure flights using the BA from TLV to LHR and AC from LHR to YVR method.
Yes BA is obliged to offer you a re-route, and if there are no BA or oneworld options on the day you want to go they have to offer something else. There is no reason per se why a BA and AC flight couldn't sit in the same booking due to an involuntary rebook, and the changes should only affect the outbound (I am assuming this is a TLV-YVR return booking) so your inbound should remain unchanged.
testycal likes this.
KARFA is offline  
Old Jun 23, 20, 4:59 am
  #854  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Programs: BA Executive Club
Posts: 86
Well, looks like I was right about the book with confidence policy being extended... Seems anything until April is covered now!
GabrielExea is offline  
Old Jun 23, 20, 5:28 am
  #855  
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 39,890
Originally Posted by GabrielExea
Well, looks like I was right about the book with confidence policy being extended... Seems anything until April is covered now!
Hi. I think you have a booking for travel in January 2021? When did you make the booking?

Atm future travel vouchers wouldn't apply to you, they are only available for travel to end of August 2020.
KARFA is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread