Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: British Airways
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Apparently anyone with bookings between 8th and 28th June can bring the return date forward, initial reports in this thread: UK government Covid-19 quarantine - BA offers return date flexibility
Interesting, I was more wondering if it's impacted Ba operations but this will help some people!

I have flights (out-return) in that timeframe, so I'm happy with a voucher but preference is for them to be cancelled so I can move (I had a really cheap fare).
Old May 27, 2020, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I suspect BA will save you the trouble!

i am booked on BOS 213 in July returning from IAD on 216, as these routes are still operating daily , would BA cancel my bookings as a uk citizen I would be denied entry into the USA

???
Old May 27, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Gold, VS Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
No. If the flight runs then your inability to get into the US (or indeed anywhere else) right now is your problem. BA knows only what is in your passport, not by what additional criteria you might qualify for any of the exceptions specific to your destination. Voluntary cancellation or re-booking under whatever the current terms are is your realistic option unless BA pulls the flight itself.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Last edited by southlondonphil; May 27, 2020 at 8:11 am Reason: Housekeeping. Quoting the immediately preceding post is neither necesary nor good etiquette
Old May 27, 2020, 8:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Which is my conundrum, with an LHR-IAD in the book. The 217/216 rotation is still operating, but the US won’t let us enter the country. My salvation lies in BA not operating (and thus cancelling) our JER-UK the previous day. <nervously tapping fingers!>
Old May 27, 2020, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
Which is my conundrum, with an LHR-IAD in the book. The 217/216 rotation is still operating, but the US won’t let us enter the country. My salvation lies in BA not operating (and thus cancelling) our JER-UK the previous day. <nervously tapping fingers!>
BA 217/216 is still operating, I assume that your Jersey-UK ticket is under the same PNR and ticket.
If not, ask BA to change one leg to BA293/292 and the other one to the BWI rotation with the zero change fee policy. It would increase your chances of cancellation.
Old May 27, 2020, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Same PNR, Sir. Thankfully!
ISTFlyer likes this.
Old May 27, 2020, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC
@AlexInAir

Update: Turkish Airlines #COVID19

In talks with Airbus & Boeing to delay delivery of some new A350/787 on order.
• Will no longer offer free food & drinks on domestic flights, and flights shorter than two hours.
• Expects no redundancies, but salary adjustments instead.
So maybe BA’s BOB will be taken up by more legacy airlines...
Old May 27, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: BA Silver (for now)
Originally Posted by BAeuro

So maybe BA’s BOB will be taken up by more legacy airlines...

Its all priced in anyway, take or leave it.

I’ve never really understood the big issue with it personally.
Old May 28, 2020, 6:35 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
Originally Posted by Will100
What is the likelihood of the 744's being gone this winter?

Or does it make sense for them to continue being paid up and running on cheap fuel?
At the moment cash flow is king, so if BA can return some of their B77x to the lessors and keep their paid-up B747s in the air instead it would make sense. Especially, as you point out, with current fuel prices. But I may be missing something else, I'm not an airline beancounter
Old May 31, 2020, 10:43 am

Can I ask a few FT regulars to pick up their crystal balls and offer me their opinions?

I’ve got a LHR-SJC BA holiday (4 CW seats and 1 night hotel) booked for late August with a large balance due in July. This was supposed to be a wedding anniversary celebration. My wife and kids have never flown CW.

Am I better off losing the deposit and rebooking for 2021? I’m not expecting the trip to be cancelled but closed lounges and packed lunches don’t equate to the balance outstanding!

Last edited by RichH6109; May 31, 2020 at 10:49 am
Old May 31, 2020, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by RichH6109
Can I ask a few FT regulars to pick up their crystal balls and offer me their opinions?

I’ve got a LHR-SJC BA holiday (4 CW seats and 1 night hotel) booked for late August with a large balance due in July. This was supposed to be a wedding anniversary celebration. My wife and kids have never flown CW.

Am I better off losing the deposit and rebooking for 2021? I’m not expecting the trip to be cancelled but closed lounges and packed lunches don’t equate to the balance outstanding!
BA Holidays currently provides that balance payments aren’t due until 3 weeks before travel. You probably should wait until that time to reassess as BA may cancel the flights.
Old May 31, 2020, 6:55 pm

Any guesses when the September schedule would be changed to account for COVID-19? I have a BA191 LHR->AUS on 9/2 that was for a return of a cruise which has been cancelled. I paid for preassigned seats which I lose the $’s on if I cancel but I understand if BA cancels they will refund.
Old May 31, 2020, 9:20 pm

Programs: BAEC, VS Flying Club
Originally Posted by t18c97
Any guesses when the September schedule would be changed to account for COVID-19? I have a BA191 LHR->AUS on 9/2 that was for a return of a cruise which has been cancelled. I paid for preassigned seats which I lose the $’s on if I cancel but I understand if BA cancels they will refund.
They’ve only just started changing July so probably another couple of months.

Right now it’s impossible to speculate on whether LHR-AUS will operate in Sep as no-one knows whether Trump will have lifted the US travel ban, whether AUS will be allowed to receive flights from the UK and whether either country will still insist on quarantine on arrival.
Delboy65 likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by T8191
I would imagine, Uncle T, that - regardless of entry restrictions - you are actually pretty keen (??) to avoid the US for a good while. But maybe I’m wrong.

The country is in the unenviable position of being global leader in Covid-related fatalities - and by quite some margin. Without wanting even to begin to make comment on causes surrounding the ongoing protests and unrest in countless cities across the USA, the fact that there is self-evidently zero distancing amongst the very large crowds is itself a major worry in terms of the prospects of getting to grips with the infection rate.

As for our own unpleasant situation here in the UK : there are, tragically, very few countries currently trending worse statistics - whether for death rates or for infection cases per capita. So, two very different countries size-wise, separated by thousands of miles of water, and yet sadly far too similar where the continuing effects of this virus are concerned. One could almost liken the risk factor of travelling between the two as akin to going from the frying pan into the fire.
RoyalSwazi and T8191 like this.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by subject2load
I would imagine, Uncle T, that - regardless of entry restrictions - you are actually pretty keen (??) to avoid the US for a good while. But maybe I’m wrong..
Not exactly keen to cancel, but conscious that the US experience in suburban VA is likely diminished. Whilst we want to meet up with our friends there, if Bars/Restaurants are closed etc. it makes a 2-week trip notably less interesting/pleasurable. The ‘risk’ aspect exists, but we woukd be capable of managing that with reasonable ease.

Anyway, out of our hands now ... had the cancellation email this morning. JER-LGW flights gone, and the LHR-IAD (whilst still operating) would not be allowing us to fly due to US Border restrictions. New hobby = getting refunds on flights, car hire and accommodation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.