Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2020, 8:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Palty
Hey people
not sure if this is the right form to ask (so i apologise in advance if it isn't)
but I've just got a quick question here
I need to be in New York next weekend and I will be back before the 8th june more like june 1st
will I be able to go?
Will I need to quarantine?
If I can go what are the things I need to know?
(I'm an English passport holder)
Thanks.
This is the current restriction for the USA, unless you see yourself in the part "This does not apply to" you would not be eligible to enter the USA. For example, you would not be able enter the USA with an ESTA for tourism purposes.

Passengers who have transited or have been in Austria, Belgium, China (People's Rep.), Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or in the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter the USA.
-This does not apply to:
- nationals and permanent residents of the USA;
- spouses of nationals and of permanent residents of the USA;
- parents/legal guardians of an unmarried and younger than 21 years national or permanent resident of the USA;
- the unmarried and younger than 21 years brother or sister of a national or permanent resident of the USA, who is unmarried and younger than 21 years;
- the child/foster child/ward of a national or permanent resident of the USA;
- passengers with the following visas: A-1, A-2, C-1, C-1/D, C-2, C-3, D, E-1, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, IR-4, IH-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 visa;
- members of the U.S. Armed Forces, spouses, and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces;
- passengers with evidence of traveling at the invitation of the USA government for a purpose related to the containment/mitigation of the Coronavirus (COVID-19);
- passengers with documents issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, or U.S. Department of State indicating that the passenger is exempt from the restriction;
- B1 crew crewmembers that are engaged in lightering, Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) activity, wind farm activity, private air/sea crew and other similar crewmember actives.

If your situation is listed below "This does not apply to", you would be allowed to travel to the USA but you would need to self-quarantine yourself for 14 days upon arrival.
Also, when returning back to the UK, unless things change, you would need to self-isolate yourself again for 14 days after arrival. There are some exemptions for this. ( Currently up to 29 June )
Palty likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 1:01 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I need to be in New York next weekend and I will be back before the 8th june more like june 1st
will I be able to go?
Unless you have a very compelling reason to travel, you won't be allowed to enter the US.

As long as you're back before 8 June, you won't have to go into quarantine.

And there's no such thing as an English passport.
choosethedrew, Stormbel and Palty like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 2:07 am

Originally Posted by GumshoeW12
Rubbish. Quarantine is only a real barrier for those who need to go out to work.

Right now millions of people are furloughed or working from home. Not to mention millions more retirees, unemployed and those exempt for whatever reason.

Sure, a large proportion of them can’t or won’t want to fly right now. But there’s still a large pool of people who could fly without quarantine being a huge issue. There’s also cargo to consider so there’s no way BA will just give up flying for the whole of June & July, just as it hasn’t in April & May.
In addition to the comment above about how huge of an inconvenience, at best, two weeks of quarantine would be, furlough is ending for more and more people as shops and businesses start to come back.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:51 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Quarantine will not happen!

The guidance is weak and ineffective and poorly thought out. It’s seems more to promote the idea of a strong border force rather than the rather unpleasant “hostile environment” agency it actually is. It is littered with “where possible” which will be used by ALL under the “Cummings defence”

The decision by France to reciprocate was the nail in the coffin of this misconceived idea which frankly was 2 months too late.

We will have nations around the world putting reciprocal arrangements in place crippling travel with now unnecessary restrictions.

It could lead to Ryan Air routing all services via Dublin indeed even BA doing so under their IAG umbrella to circumvent the rules.

I want to travel on July 23rd. My destination is closed but may reopen in June. If it does then it seems I’ll require a test to show I am clear. That seems more reasonable but would probably still kill off travel.

the problem here is English exceptionalism and the idea that what is done here is world leading or worlds best. Rather, it’s different, doesn’t compliment or coordinate with others and leaves us isolated and lookIng silly And ridiculous. particularly as we have in excess 60,000 dead.

It has been handled appallingly
choosethedrew, Palty and 13901 like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by binman
Quarantine will not happen!

The guidance is weak and ineffective and poorly thought out. It’s seems more to promote the idea of a strong border force rather than the rather unpleasant “hostile environment” agency it actually is. It is littered with “where possible” which will be used by ALL under the “Cummings defence”

The decision by France to reciprocate was the nail in the coffin of this misconceived idea which frankly was 2 months too late.

We will have nations around the world putting reciprocal arrangements in place crippling travel with now unnecessary restrictions.

It could lead to Ryan Air routing all services via Dublin indeed even BA doing so under their IAG umbrella to circumvent the rules.

I want to travel on July 23rd. My destination is closed but may reopen in June. If it does then it seems I’ll require a test to show I am clear. That seems more reasonable but would probably still kill off travel.

the problem here is English exceptionalism and the idea that what is done here is world leading or worlds best. Rather, it’s different, doesn’t compliment or coordinate with others and leaves us isolated and lookIng silly And ridiculous. particularly as we have in excess 60,000 dead.

It has been handled appallingly
Email your MP and the government.

ROI already has a 14-day quarantine so their situation is no better.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Hey people
not sure if this is the right form to ask (so i apologise in advance if it isn't)
but I've just got a quick question here
will I be able to go?
Thanks.
I doubt you'll be permitted to board the aircraft. The US is currently closed to non-citizens/LPRs.
Palty likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by AlanA
mire down to the EU needs a trade deal with us As we have a net definite in goods and services. They have a lot more to lose
I think what you are saying is the Eu needs to UK more than the other way around. There's a great thread in OMNI you should be contributing to.
Old May 24, 2020, 6:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
The US is currently closed to non-citizens/LPRs.
This is partially incorrect, you could go to the USA as a tourist if you haven't been to China, Iran, EU, UK and Ireland within the last 15 days.
There is no written statement that the USA is not accepting any non-citizens. Technically people outside the restricted zones could board a flight to the USA, obviously, the discretion accepting those people to the country is up to the CBP officer at the arrival airport.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
This is partially incorrect, you could go to the USA as a tourist if you haven't been to China, Iran, EU, UK and Ireland within the last 15 days.
There is no written statement that the USA is not accepting any non-citizens. Technically people outside the restricted zones could board a flight to the USA, obviously, the discretion accepting those people to the country is up to the CBP officer at the arrival airport.
this seems correct, here is the exact text of the proclamation for Schengen countries, expanded to include the UK 3 days later.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/
ExpatExp likes this.
Old May 24, 2020, 11:13 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
I think practically impossible to go as a tourist. The ESTA system is suspended so you would need a visa, and even if you can arrange to get one atm the B2 tourist visa is not on the exceptions list.
nk15 and Palty like this.
Old May 24, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA
I think practically impossible to go as a tourist. The ESTA system is suspended so you would need a visa, and even if you can arrange to get one atm the B2 tourist visa is not on the exceptions list.
Flights are still going to Latin America and most from there have always required visas anyway. So surely tourists coming from there for example would be able to get in as normal?
Old May 24, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Dan1113
Flights are still going to Latin America and most from there have always required visas anyway. So surely tourists coming from there for example would be able to get in as normal?
Brazil just got banned from the US.

Last edited by nk15; May 24, 2020 at 5:00 pm
Old May 24, 2020, 4:48 pm

I was speaking from a European perspective. These are the current restrictions for the US:

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm

Published 14.05.2020
1. Passengers who have transited or have been in Austria, Belgium, China (People's Rep.), Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or in the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), in the past 14 days are not allowed to enter the USA.
-This does not apply to:
- nationals and permanent residents of the USA;
- spouses of nationals and of permanent residents of the USA;
- parents/legal guardians of an unmarried and younger than 21 years national or permanent resident of the USA;
- the unmarried and younger than 21 years brother or sister of a national or permanent resident of the USA, who is unmarried and younger than 21 years;
- the child/foster child/ward of a national or permanent resident of the USA;
- passengers with the following visas: A-1, A-2, C-1, C-1/D, C-2, C-3, D, E-1, G-1, G-2, G-3, G-4, IR-4, IH-4, NATO-1 through NATO-4, or NATO-6 visa;
- members of the U.S. Armed Forces, spouses, and children of members of the U.S. Armed Forces;
- passengers with evidence of traveling at the invitation of the USA government for a purpose related to the containment/mitigation of the Coronavirus (COVID-19);
- passengers with documents issued by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Customs and Border Protection, or U.S. Department of State indicating that the passenger is exempt from the restriction;
- B1 crew crewmembers that are engaged in lightering, Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) activity, wind farm activity, private air/sea crew and other similar crewmember actives.

2. Passengers who have been in one of the countries listed in bullet number 1 in the past 14 days but are exempt from the restriction to enter the USA, must arrive at one of the following airports: Atlanta (ATL), Boston (BOS), Chicago (ORD), Dallas, (DFW), Detroit (DTW), Honolulu (HNL), Los Angeles (LAX), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK or EWR), San Francisco (SFO), Seattle (SEA) and Washington (IAD).

3. Passengers who have been in Austria, Belgium, China (People's Rep.), Czechia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland (Rep.), Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland or United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe) in the past 14 days but are exempt from the restriction to enter the USA, must self-quarantine for 14 days once they reach their final destination.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KARFA
I don't know about ESTA but with a B2 visa there is a way around. It's not the most convenient option but you could simply fly to a Latin or South American country that the borders are currently open for non-citizens ( example: Mexico ), stay 14 days there, and then fly to the US from there. It's not convenient and it would cost a lot of money and time but it would work for non-essential travel.

Currently no official regulation prohibits Latin Americans, Turkish, Russian, Brasilian, etc... who have a B2 visa to enter the USA unless they transfer via the restricted countries or been to the restricted countries within the last 14 days.
Old May 24, 2020, 4:50 pm

I don't know about ESTA but with a B2 visa there is a way around. It's not the most convenient option but you could simply fly to a Latin or South American country that the borders are currently open for non-citizens ( example: Mexico ), stay 14 days there, and then fly to the US from there. It's not convenient and it would cost a lot of money and time but it would work for non-essential travel.
Bit extreme just to go as a tourist wouldn't you say?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.