Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:34 am

Today's Matt cartoon is brilliant - and very directly BA, too…

Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:35 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by injom
We are supposed to be flying to Vegas from Inverness at the start of April, although the flights are to/from Vegas we are spending the middle part of the time in LA for Universal and Disney etc. Given that Disney is now closed until end of March (and probably will continue into April) and Vegas shows etc are now being cancelled, there is little reason for our trip at this time.

We booked last May and the tickets are non changeable, what realistic options do we have, I know there's no real chance of a refund, would there be potentially a flight voucher instead? Flights were paid for with BA Amex so is there a way for refund through them ?

Really have no idea what to do.
I'm also booked to go to LAS at the start of April, for a convention that has now been cancelled. If you read through the following great thread, you will see that you can change for free, or get a e-voucher for use on a later flight. There are restrictions.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...oise-free.html
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:51 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Krisz
I just boarded the LBA-LHR flight and the cabin crew greet everyone with a big disinfectant pump bottle at the door so you can rub it on your hand.
I hope this is more widespread across the fleet as it’s a great reassurance for passengers in my opinion.
Whereas I got one of those banned hot towels on a very recent flight!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 5:57 am

Flying to Faro this evening from Gatwick. Had a heart in mouth moment this morning when BA emailed an "information about your flight" message, but that was just to say that the flight was so very busy and they recommend checking in hand luggage - somehow I doubt that might actually be the case, but either way. Hopefully Portugal stays relatively okay over the next week (and beyond, of course).
Old Mar 13, 2020, 6:46 am

Programs: BA Exec Club
Im off to ORD in 2 weeks - was going to a geek convention that got cancelled. Reluctant to cancel the trip as need the 350TP, so am working out how to spend a long weekend in the Wisconsin area with a friend who is a keen outdoor person and birdwatcher.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: BA Gold. KrisFlyer Gold
I was planning on a trip to Sofia this weekend. With work commitments skyrocketing this weekend due to virus-related contingency planning, I've just cancelled my hotel booking with Hilton (hallelujah to them relaxing the rules on refunding non-refundable bookings). Awaiting for an update from BA, but at the moment it looks like I'm only going to get £30 back when I cancel my flights. Perhaps things will change in the next 24 hours. We'll see.

Am I right in thinking that I can cancel up to the very last minute and the refund of taxes and fees will still be forthcoming?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by richiejv
Flying to Faro this evening from Gatwick. Had a heart in mouth moment this morning when BA emailed an "information about your flight" message, but that was just to say that the flight was so very busy and they recommend checking in hand luggage - somehow I doubt that might actually be the case, but either way. Hopefully Portugal stays relatively okay over the next week (and beyond, of course).

I'm off on holiday to Porto with BA next month, few days in the city, few days walking in the Duoro Valley. Portugal has shut all it's schools and limiting restaurant numbers until the 9th April when i arrive. However for now I'm still planning to go, I'm minded to be driven by FCO policy and whether my flights actually go or not. it's all very fast moving but not rushing into a decision as yet..
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:24 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Travel with the company was a bit sketching last year but I thought I could at least maintain my bronze after dropping down from silver. But the trip I had planned for this week MAN-LHR-LAX was up in smoke when the company suspended all international travel due to the virus. I have rescheduled the trip now for August as the ticket was non refundable and had to pay the £200 booking fee

But this will leave me sat on 220 points with my year ending in April, do you think BA will be generous and let me keep bronze
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:27 am

On 20th March BA Holiday to St Lucia.
I come back on the 28th March and have a flight to Bermuda on the 2nd April
At the moment neither Bermuda nor St Lucia don't seem to have any cases, so my worry is that they'll want to stop the Virus getting onto their Islands (although, not sure if it's too late for that)
so, Crystal ball questions:
1. Think St Lucia will ban flights from UK by the 20th?
2. Chances of restrictions coming into place in UK between 20th-28th that will stop me getting back from St Lucia?
3. Chance of Bermuda restricting flights from UK by the 2nd April
4. Chances of restrictions coming into place in UK between 2nd April and 8th April that will stop me getting back from Bermuda?
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:29 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC, Eurostar
I have an AA booked (but 4 BA flights) SOF-LHR-JFK-LAX-SFO at the end of April, which isn't covered (yet). I was supposed to be in France for Easter but their new restrictions on public gatherings I think it's unlikely. I could still fly from SOF because it's not on the list yet but do we know if AA have published anything (since it's ticketed through them I guess I need to go their boards)?. One of the people supposed to join in is flying in from CPH via LHR so I'm guessing they're out if the policy gets extended (we're out of the US policy by about a week as things stand).

As a data point, neither Accor nor Eurostar are budging at the moment, despite the French president pleading for people to limit their movement in France. Not very good...

ETA: Eurostar now offering vouchers to be spent before 30th June for travel by September. Was given the link by Twitter team, PM me if needed. Not sure what dates are covered though.

Last edited by alex67500; Mar 13, 2020 at 10:36 am Reason: Eurostar change of policy
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:48 am

Has there been any official or anecdotal confirmation that airside transits in the Schengen area are OK in terms of the US proclamation and specifically for BA if an AMS B2B would be a problem.

My thinking is that even if transits are OK a B2B would show as a flight to AMS and I'm not sure that your average CBP officer will understand the nuance. I'm not actually clear if this level of detail is available to the CBP.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:54 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by FlyKev
I've booked a BA holiday to Warsaw for next weekend. The museum closures hit me a little bit however the sites we want to see (old town, zoo etc.) are still open at the moment. I'm figuring that unless BA cancels flights there / some sort of ban on entry for UK Nationals; Ive got no real options to postpone this trip?
I also have a BA Holiday package booked for the end of the month. It seems WAW hasn’t suffered many BA cancellations either unlike other routes which are being reduced as we speak.

I think it’s unfair that most airlines including EasyJet will now allow free changes but BA won’t, I still want to go just not right now! Poland is on semi lockdown as you say and it’s unfair to take a holiday somewhere where most attractions and museums are closed.

Anyone know of there will be more cancellations on short haul or further updates as I want to rebook without massive fees.

PS: Th only thing that’s changed is my flight has switched from an A321 to A320!
Old Mar 13, 2020, 7:55 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Has there been any official or anecdotal confirmation that airside transits in the Schengen area are OK in terms of the US proclamation and specifically for BA if an AMS B2B would be a problem.

My thinking is that even if transits are OK a B2B would show as a flight to AMS and I'm not sure that your average CBP officer will understand the nuance. I'm not actually clear if this level of detail is available to the CBP.
If your booking is AMS-LHR-US the problem is BA wouldn't let you board though to start with since as far as they are concerned you are not allowed to enter the US.
Steve_ZA likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:18 am

To further answer my own question KLM have confirmed that passengers in transit fall under the ban.
Old Mar 13, 2020, 8:35 am

Is this the thread for BA-withdrawal symptoms? Some of you frequent flyers must be suffering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.