Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:40 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I think we will need more detail. Which country, airline and route did you have in mind?
Sorry CWS, have edited, I have a number of tabs open to different forums and posted in wrong one! This is not BA related, apologies all.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by alexwuk
I got the same email about my flight to EZE in early April. That flight falls within the period in that Argentina's government has banned flights from the UK, but remains (as yet) uncanceled in BA's systems.

BA have seemingly adopted a policy of deliberately not cancelling flights even after their government approvals to fly on those dates have been withdrawn. This may well be to give BA a cashflow advantage by not having to refund money until near the day of departure, despite the knowledge that the flights are highly unlikely to go ahead as planned.

Nowhere in the email does it state or even suggest that if you chose the Voucher you would still get a refund should the originally booked flight be cancelled.

Leaving aside BA's cynicism in not cancelling flights when governments have already outlawed them; I find sending customers emails stating "your flight is currently scheduled to go ahead" in these circumstances reprehensible. It gives severely misleading information and false hope to customers at the height of wider uncertainty.
Agreed we both got the same email - BA's cynicism is disgraceful. We were due to go on vacation at the end of March and everything was paid up. All the other companies(Four Seasons, Hyatt etc) have refunded the deposits even when their terms indicated a non refundable deposit, booking fees etc without question and were reasonably proactive in doing so. BA on the other hand is sending out emails saying your flight is still going ahead and offering the voucher option. I don't want the voucher option as there is no guarantee the way things are going that I would be able to use the voucher.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:47 am

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You are aware that not just Argentina is affected by the covid-19 situation? OK, that's a bit blunt, but the Argentina issue is just a few days old, and yes, BA is behind the curve but I bet they were not given a week's notice to prepare for this. With a million passengers due to fly this week on BA, I think it's going to be the case that those travelling today will get the most accurate information.
These emails are being sent to people across the system (see examples upthread from US/Poland) for departures in late March/ early April that simply aren't going to happen. My point stands: BA know these flights aren't going to fly so they should cancel them, not send passengers emails saying "your flight is still planned to go a head" after governments have banned them, which massively increases confusion.

as for "those travelling today" BA have cancelled the next 7 days flights, but have take the decision to keep 24MAR-10APR as un-cancelled in the system despite there being a government ban on those dates.

I accept that BA may want to stagger cancellations so that its call centers can cope, but why on earth then proactively send passengers on flights that are waiting to be cancelled an email telling them "your flight is currently due to depart as planned"?? It's highly disingenuous.

Last edited by alexwuk; Mar 16, 2020 at 5:59 am
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:49 am

I have all my trip refunds in hand except for my flights. Don't want a voucher as I already have trips for the summer and fall booked. I received the same email, why are my trans atlantic flights in red? Still 9 days out and hoping they eventually cancel.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I suggest that "fast changing situation" needs bolding in everyone's mind while they post here, too.
BA have known since Friday evening that the flight can't operate. Polish government has banned all international flights.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
The flights this week from GIG and GRU to LHR have suddenly moved from wide open Avios availability in all classes to sold out in all classes Mon / Tues / Wed this week. I suspect passengers from other cancelled services must be being rebooked on BA. So there are some very very full services ...

How long this will last - who knows ?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 5:53 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Originally Posted by Sam Bee
Has anyone seen anything specific, official, they can link to regarding transit and UK Passport Holders?

I've got so many good sources in SIN and UK, but no-one has a clue?

Edit - sorry, I thought I was in the SQ forum, so ignore. I won't delete in case someone has relevant info! Admin, feel free. One of those days/weeks/months.

​​​​
Not sure exactly what information you are looking for but my information is the following:

- It is nothing to do with the fact that you are a UK passport holder and is instead based on travel history (which includes transitting in a country)
- If you have travel history to China (except Hubei), Iran, Italy, France, Germany, Republic of Korea, and Spain within the past 14 days then you will not be allowed to enter or transit through Singapore
- If you have travel history to UK, Switzerland, Japan or any ASEAN country then from 23:59 tonight then you will be allowed both entry and transit at Singapore however:
• If you plan on entering Singapore then you will be required to quarantine for 14 days and will be issued with a SHN (Stay Home Notice)
• You can serve your SHN at a hotel or property owned by yourself or family, you tell them on entry to the country where you will be
• You may/will be denied entry if you do not have proof of a hotel booking for the full 14 days or proof that you have a place to stay owned by yourself or family
• The SHN is monitored by frequent GPS and also potential in-person spot checks
• If you intend to transit and remain within the transit area then you do not have to be issued with a SHN

EDIT: Just seen that you posted this in the wrong place, happy to have it left here if it is of use to anybody

EDIT 2: Just realised that you asked for links, the best website is: https://www.ica.gov.sg/covid-19 unfortunately it is down at the moment so the second best would be https://www.moh.gov.sg/news-highligh...covid-19-cases which is the latest press release regarding entry requirements from the Ministry of Health (MoH). You can use a cached version of the broken page to view anything if necessary but do not trust its reliability as it is not going to be guaranteed up to date: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache19EtWzcC3EJ:https://www.ica.gov.sg/news-and-publications/public-education/updates-on-border-control-measures+&cd=5&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
Sam Bee likes this.

Last edited by wilsnunn; Mar 16, 2020 at 6:22 am Reason: Added links
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:06 am

Price gouging by BA

With masterful timing I decided to have a short city break holiday in Warsaw last week. Flew out on Thursday and whilst waiting for the connection at MUC read that all Polish museums had been close from that date. Not to worry, plenty to see and some nice restaurants to visit. On Friday evening told that all restaurants were closing from midnight. The Foreign Office advice as I went to bed was that Poland was banning visitors from Sunday. That's fine I thought as I have my booking on Sunday. By Saturday morning, as I awoke a little groggy, the advice had changed to Poland sealing its borders from 23.59 that day and that any British subject should try to leave immediately.

Went onto the BA site and bought a single ticket for 2503 zloty which translates to £529.19. This is price gouging, a term I have just learnt. It means selling a high demand item for a grossly excessive mark-up.
James91 likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:11 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
For the record: that only applies to those entering Qatar, not transit via DOH with QR or e.g. BA -> QR.
Correct - QR finally found someone with a basic understanding of English, who re-wrote the announcement and alleviated the panic!

M
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by alexwuk
I got the same email about my flight to EZE in early April. That flight falls within the period in that Argentina's government has banned flights from the UK, but remains (as yet) uncanceled in BA's systems.

BA have seemingly adopted a policy of deliberately not cancelling flights even after their government approvals to fly on those dates have been withdrawn. This may well be to give BA a cashflow advantage by not having to refund money until near the day of departure, despite the knowledge that the flights are highly unlikely to go ahead as planned.

Nowhere in the email does it state or even suggest that if you chose the Voucher you would still get a refund should the originally booked flight be cancelled.

Leaving aside BA's cynicism in not cancelling flights when governments have already outlawed them; I find sending customers emails stating "your flight is currently scheduled to go ahead" in these circumstances reprehensible. It gives severely misleading information and false hope to customers at the height of wider uncertainty.
You are also aware that BA hasn't got the full money from you until they deliver the actual flight? Credit card payments are not going straight BA's pocket certain amount will be withheld from BA and only going to be paid when BA delivered you as a customer. So to cancel or not to cancel a flight because they have to or not have to pay you money back is not that relevant. Most of the countries which are saying our borders are closed also have a large number of exceptions, one of the most simplistic one is their own citizens can enter if they accept certain conditions. BA also needs to deliver cargo to those countries. Also BA made your totally inflexible ticket a bit more flexible. You can cancel that trip, you receive the value and you can book something else. They don't have to do this legally until the foreign office changes the advise. The situation changes so quickly that flights which were in the air turned back. BA as a business can't just change all tickets suddenly refundable and flexible because in a few weeks time probably we are going to moan how incompetent was BA management to let it go bust. (like Flybe... and the others)
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:16 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, HH Diamond
This is quite a normal fare for last-minute shorthaul travel where demand is high, coronavirus or not
JAXBA likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:18 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
My daughter was caught in Slovakia. No way out by air. Got a car rental to Poland. Krakow. (Expensive to leave rental cars in the wrong country!)
Bought on Thurs evening a Ryanair flight on Friday . It was cheap. No price gouging there!
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:20 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Never Stansted
Being more charitable to BA, perhaps the e-mail was lined up this weekend and was just sent automatically this morning? I am sure that there are many ways in which their response hasn't always been perfect, but these are unprecedented challenges and I've seen nothing to suggest that BA are not approaching them in good faith.
I am sorry but I do not agree.
I can understand that the situation is fast moving
I can understand that the email may have been written over the weekend.
I can understand that they do not wish to offer refunds.
I can understand that they will want you to fly in the future and so waive change fees.
I do not understand why, when anyone bought a ticket in good faith, that that same ticket cannot be used at a later date without the need to pay any fare difference. In some instances this could be many thousands of pounds.
So any of the above on their own can be forgiven as cock up over conspiracy but together begin to look like a deliberate attempt to fleece customers.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by binman
I do not understand why, when anyone bought a ticket in good faith, that that same ticket cannot be used at a later date without the need to pay any fare difference. In some instances this could be many thousands of pounds.
A good check on this is: What are other airlines doing?

Another test is: How is this position different from that of someone who has become legally entitled to a full refund?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 6:29 am
Suspended

If anyone has flights not cancelled yet but thinks it will be and dont want the voucher then just don't do anything yet . You don't have to apply for voucher till 1 hr before and you'll know by then if it's cancelled!

it us a fast changing situation not just daily hourly but by the minute 'lve just come out of a meeting where the flight schedule was due to be set but 10mjns in to the meeting the original plan has changed 6 times due the how quick the situation is being changed
botham, Krisz, MarcD and 6 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.