Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
FYI I have now managed to change my booking in F from LHR to MIA, this Thursday to November, with no additional charges, through MMB, despite the booking not showing as cancelled.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Saint4805
Thanks. I had no sense of how busy LHR is and thought there may have been a bit of a scramble today and tomorrow as people try to return home. I'd rather visit LHR when it is as quiet as possible and it sounds as though it'll get quieter before it gets busier. Will stick to my original plan to fly to ABZ on Weds.
I shifted my Washington flight to today, then after waking to news of chaos at places like Chicago and other "designated airports", moved it again to the Baltimore flight.

On the train down to London and on to heathrow the FCO advice landed, and more importantly the talk of locking down 70+ people broke, so decided to cancel completely, we can eat the extra cost of a few months delay

Another colleague cancelled, but the third is going and expecting he might be there for 2 months plus. He said that the First lounge was the quietest he's ever seen it, no more than 30 people in the entire place, and the Baltimore flight took off with just 75 on board (passengers I think).

There are 3 people in CW. Crew delivering fab service despite the worries.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:07 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
All QR flights are suspended until 1st April.

More on the QR Forum.

M
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:26 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
IMPORTANT UPDATE for eVoucher holders

I have had it confirmed that eVouchers have to be booked AND start travel before their 12 month expiry is up, but can go over the 12 month in terms of completing travel. This may evolve further but this is the new "party line"!
greyt and florens like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:48 pm

Malaga - Heathrow

Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster.

I really want to say thanks to all the posters in these forums who have so generously offered their advice, especially over the last few days when events have been so fast moving.

Just as a data point, I flew my semi-regular route from Malaga to Heathrow yesterday (Saturday 14th), with unintentionally perfect timing just as Spain was starting to close down. There were quite a few cancelled flights (mainly to Italy) and there was a short delay to take-off which I understand was because of Spanish ATC being short-staffed. It was a completely full A320 and passengers seemed noticeably more sociable than usual, probably helped by the very generous quantities of booze served by the fantastic crew. There was an undercurrent of uncertainty in the atmosphere though, many of us realising that we actually didn't know when our next trip would be and wondering quite what the next few months would bring.

Safe travels everyone.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 12:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Welcome to Flyertalk and the BA forum Skellig. Hopefully good times will return before too long.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: BA Executive Blue
I need to ring BA Holidays on Tuesday to cancel/rebook/voucher my flight/car combo booked for Thursday. Not what I really want to do, but I've got family members with underlying health conditions, so it's best I stay in London. Is there a time that's particularly "good" to ring them? I looked on the booking, but when I click on the "change/cancel" it tells me to ring.

Thank you once again to the experts here, your help is really invaluable.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
CWS, I'm not sure I agree that the advice will take effect in the future. I believe the time reference "restrictions put in place by the US government with effect from 03:59 GMT 17 March" is only alerting persons to when the US restrictions take effect not to when the FCO advice warning takes effect.

With regard to starting a trip (or being the transatlantic portion of a trip) after the advice has been issued, I believe I would want some assurance from the insurer that I am still covered if I continue to travel despite the advice. It is one thing to already be somewhere else when the advice comes out, it is quite another to begin travel to another area after the advice is issued.
I’m of this opinion too. The heading on the USA page just says it advises against all travel.

Most insurance providers also have another line in their policy that they do not cover any issues you know about before the trip starts. I think you’d have a fight in your hands it a claim did arise.

I was set to to ahead with my PHL trip tomorrow right up until the FCO issued their advisory. My insurer has already stated they will not cover claims for trips to anywhere the FCO advises against all or all but essential travel.

In the current climate, with almost inevitable disruption and a high chance of becoming unwell its just not worth the risk.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:31 pm

BA needs to think creatively:

adrianlondon, AnaTravel and MNMAA like this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
i noticed on this evenings flight from MAN to LHR (BA1405)c after the usual in ‘we are now approaching London Heathrow and the seat belt sign will be switched on in 10 minutes...’ message there was a ‘We’d like to bring to your attention the latest update on Coronavirus from Public Health England.... If you develop any symptoms in England please contact NHS 111 Online, in Scotland NHS 111, in Wales NHS24 and is Northern Ireland Out Of Hours GP. If you are feeling unwell on the flight please let a member to cabin crew know’.

When was this instigated- I didn’t have it on my flight up on Friday, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is being implemented sporadically depending on who has seen the email etc.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 2:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I flew back into LHR T5 today with lovely crew, who told me they aren't sure when and where they will be flying next. I'm just so sad about what's happening, and after saying goodbye and best wishes to the cabin crew members and the captain, I found myself almost in tears.

I was only saved from the slight indignity of public tears on the aerobridge by the sight of the giant loo paper mountain, which made me laugh...

I conclude that LHR T5 is not at risk of running out of loo paper!

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Mar 15, 2020 at 3:07 pm
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I flew back into LHR T5 today with lovely crew, who told me they aren't sure when and where they will be flying next. I'm just so sad about what's happening, and after saying goodbye and best wishes to the cabin crew members and the captain, I found myself almost in tears.

I was only saved from the slight indignity of public tears on the aerobridge by the sight of the giant loo paper mountain, which made me laugh...

I conclude that LHR T5 is not at risk of running out of loo paper!
Indeed, a very sad situation. BA is far from perfect as a company, but 95% of my flights within Europe over the past few years have been with BA, and I had a lot of positive experiences, met fantastic cabin crew members, had interesting conversations with them and so on...you kinda get an emotional attachment to the airline after a while.

I am not sure how many of the flights I got booked over the next few weeks will actually take off, but I will definitely bring some gifts for the cabin crew. Won’t help much in this situation, but maybe it can lift the mood just a little bit.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 3:58 pm

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Maybe off topic, and I can’t find any info on it, but you guys have always been super helpful so I hope it’s okay;

Currently in NZ, avoided the quarantine by a day. Cancelled my plans short for Cape Town and Doha and want to get back home to Chiang Mai on Sunday. Currently that’s transferring through Sydney, and then Bangkok.

Do we know if Australia is banning transit? Because all I can see is “EVERYONE” that visits Australia must self-quarantine for 14 days. Not sure if I count in that (if I even get to fly that is!)

Thanks all, know it’s not BA related but can’t find a collective hive-mind any better than this forum.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by Lewis King
Maybe off topic, and I can’t find any info on it, but you guys have always been super helpful so I hope it’s okay;

Currently in NZ, avoided the quarantine by a day. Cancelled my plans short for Cape Town and Doha and want to get back home to Chiang Mai on Sunday. Currently that’s transferring through Sydney, and then Bangkok.

Do we know if Australia is banning transit? Because all I can see is “EVERYONE” that visits Australia must self-quarantine for 14 days. Not sure if I count in that (if I even get to fly that is!)

Thanks all, know it’s not BA related but can’t find a collective hive-mind any better than this forum.
LTN Phobia 's advice in another thread involving a somewhat similar situation:
Australia will allow international arriving passengers to go straight onto a domestic flight to get to their destination, so I don't see any difference from that if you went straight onto an international flight on the same day.

Obviously you need whatever the entry clearance you need for Australia but otherwise, I'd say it should be OK, but I suggest you contact Australian high commission to check.

Then, you can take a QF or ANZ flight into SYD. I have known QF to make an occasional exception to the no-through-check rules (apparently more likely if one of the flights is revenue and the other is on points, because they can't be issued on the same ticket, but I had it done on two separate revenue tickets too).

With all the uncertainties, I'd suggest you move very quickly before more flights ex-Australia/ex-NZ start getting cancelled.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32190065-post52.html
Old Mar 15, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
LTN Phobia 's advice in another thread involving a somewhat similar situation:
Ideal, thanks. I assumed the same but couldn’t find any info anywhere. Will just play it all by ear, I’m assuming Thailand will be shutting stuff soon anyway. Worst comes to the worst I have friends in Australia I can crash with.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.