Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Covid-19 news, views, speculations, general questions, rants & more

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:02 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jettad
A quick question as I'm fairly new to this, but how do you find out how full a flight is?
You can ask in this thread...read the Thread wiki for further info.

Help to check BA seat availability and BA flight loads

You can also get a rough idea on Expertflyer website. It’s a freemium site that gives you access to seat maps.
jettad likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
deleted
Old Mar 15, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: BA Gold, BMI, ANA, HH Blue, SPG Gold
Now is a good time to call You First.

I just spoke with a pleasant agent, with her hands tied behind her back. BA have not yet cancelled 208 to MIA on Thursday so my options are more limited. I tried to transfer booking to November, but there was a massive price difference. If they decide to cancel the flight, I might simply be able to transfer the booking!

Watch this space!
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
USA
The UK FCO have advised against all but essential travel to the USA.
Why bother? We can’t get in.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: Ba Silver ( for now!)
It helps people claim on insurance
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: BA Gold HH Gold
Thailand experience

We have just arrived in Koh Samui transiting through Sin from LHR.
Although the UK is on the list of ongoing Local Transmission for Thailand we experienced no issues entering Koh Samui and the only additional paperwork was a self certification form completed at the resort along with a temp check. We have been given no guidelines regarding contacting the authorities daily or any restrictions to travelling around the island.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Is BA having trouble finding crews for the flights? On Friday BA93 (LHR-YYZ) was delayed for a couple of hours as they tried to get crew and we left one crew member short. Now I notice it is already delayed 4.5 hours. Also is this because it is the 350-1000? Are there limited number of crew trained up on that aircraft?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:27 am

Programs: BA, EI, IB, Hilton Honors
Is the BA001 operating tomorrow?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 9:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Owenc
Why bother? We can’t get in.
But some can, including one of my illustrious ambassadorial colleagues who lives there.

The FCO advice is not immediate, it applies from 04:00 hrs Tuesday GMT, which means it will be very helpful for those with travel insurance. Most of the policies I have seen provide cover for car hire, hotels and other sunk costs when the ABE note goes out from the FCO. Whereas many policies state that (e.g.) medical costs are covered if travel started before the ABE note went out.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:45 am

Glasgow Airport have shut their long stay car park with immediate effect due to Covid-19.

Cannot see the justification in this other than decreased demand... Would force people into the more expensive short stays. Anybody with more info?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
But some can, including one of my illustrious ambassadorial colleagues who lives there.

The FCO advice is not immediate, it applies from 04:00 hrs Tuesday GMT, which means it will be very helpful for those with travel insurance. Most of the policies I have seen provide cover for car hire, hotels and other sunk costs when the ABE note goes out from the FCO. Whereas many policies state that (e.g.) medical costs are covered if travel started before the ABE note went out.
The FCO advice appears as immediate. The explanation they give is due to the restrictions in place by the US government from that time. But it comes across as if they are advising against all travel already.

The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the whole country.
Still current at:15 March 2020
Updated:15 March 2020
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, VS Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle.
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
As of yesterday, I have zero flights bookings for any route on any airline

​​​​​In the event that BA weathers the storm (let's hope so) I expect to drop to Silver in 12 months and will probably never set foot again in the CCR...

I am so glad that the last few years afforded me the opportunity to travel the world, often in great comfort thanks to BAEC and the wonderful FT community. I will have the memories until I eventually go gaga...

BAEC, not to mention BA, had its faults, but it worked for us... and we worked it hard

Safe 2020 to all.
I have one remaining booking which is a reward booking MAN to BLL at the end of May, a quick hop for me and my 4 year old to Legoland for some one on one time. I can see that going at the same way soon and being cancelled... .. I can also see Gold requal being virtually impossible.

While these thing are dissapointing to me and we all all have our own views which we rightly discuss on here (it's a frequent flyer forum after all), my own dissapointment, as I'm sure is the same with most of us, dissappears into insignificance against the people who will lose their jobs or even worse there lives, at least all being well I will be in a position to do these things again someday, others may not be so lucky.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: BAEC Silver

The FCO advice is not immediate, it applies from 04:00 hrs Tuesday GMT.
CWS, how confident are you in this statement. We’re currently sitting in Aspire lounge in INV headed to LHR for connecting flight to TPA from LGW tomorrow. Obviously, we made the decision that we are happy to travel, but did so on the basis that we would have medical cover from our insurer.
I did have a look at FCO website but it is not clear when exactly the advice is valid for.
I guess much of this may come down to t and c’s in policy. I did actually start my trip at 10:30 this morning to get to airport, so it may be we have cover anyway.
in any case I will talk to my insurer before getting on aircraft tomorrow.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:28 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by zanderblue
CWS, how confident are you in this statement. We’re currently sitting in Aspire lounge in INV headed to LHR for connecting flight to TPA from LGW tomorrow. Obviously, we made the decision that we are happy to travel, but did so on the basis that we would have medical cover from our insurer.
The exact wording is as follows:
The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the USA, due to restrictions put in place by the US government with effect from 03:59 GMT 17 March in response to the outbreak of coronavirus (Covid-19) (Summary and Entry Requirements).

Now most insurers won't cover you if you go to a country under ABE, but exact wording will vary. For example one policy I have to hand says "you travelling to a country or area where the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) or the World Health Organisation (WHO) has advised against all travel before you departed on your trip."

So if you left home - started your trip - before the advice, or before the advice kicks in, you have at least a line of argument. Now I'm not an insurance expert and it is certainly up to you have you judge risks, but it would be worth a good inspection of (a) the medical cover area and (b) the general exceptions to see what you think. The ABE was introduced to help people to claim, I guess, you're in the different position of not wanting to claim, and you have to draw your own comfort from that or otherwise.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
The exact wording is as follows:
The FCO advise against all but essential travel to the USA, due to restrictions put in place by the US government with effect from 03:59 GMT 17 March in response to the outbreak of coronavirus (Covid-19) (Summary and Entry Requirements).

Now most insurers won't cover you if you go to a country under ABE, but exact wording will vary. For example one policy I have to hand says "you travelling to a country or area where the Travel Advice Unit of the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) or the World Health Organisation (WHO) has advised against all travel before you departed on your trip."

So if you left home - started your trip - before the advice, or before the advice kicks in, you have at least a line of argument. Now I'm not an insurance expert and it is certainly up to you have you judge risks, but it would be worth a good inspection of (a) the medical cover area and (b) the general exceptions to see what you think. The ABE was introduced to help people to claim, I guess, you're in the different position of not wanting to claim, and you have to draw your own comfort from that or otherwise.
CWS, I'm not sure I agree that the advice will take effect in the future. I believe the time reference "restrictions put in place by the US government with effect from 03:59 GMT 17 March" is only alerting persons to when the US restrictions take effect not to when the FCO advice warning takes effect.

With regard to starting a trip (or being the transatlantic portion of a trip) after the advice has been issued, I believe I would want some assurance from the insurer that I am still covered if I continue to travel despite the advice. It is one thing to already be somewhere else when the advice comes out, it is quite another to begin travel to another area after the advice is issued.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.