Wiki Posts
Search

US Ban - Impact on Fleet Operations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
US Ban - Impact on Fleet Operations

A question that just popped into my head, and one of idle curiosity really.

How is BA going to manage the situation for it's US flights where it's using Mixed Fleet crews who by their very definition are likely to have at some point recently, flown to Europe - potentially on a night stop ?

I don't know the sophistication of BA's scheduling and rostering system, or even if someone building it would ever have considered the idea that they would have to select a flag to say 'don't send a crew to the US, if they have been to Europe'.

Perhaps Eurofleet is about to get the job of picking up more European destinations (but fewer flights), allow MF to concentrate on the long haul stuff.

Sorry, was just something going through my head, if anyone has any insight - am just curious .... I don't envy the headache that it risks causing on top of everything else that's going on.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:38 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Have you read the Proclamation?

It expressly exempts air crews.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
It appears to, however I don't see how it would work if a crew had done a standover in a European country, and their next trip was to the US a day later. They'd have landed, and been in that 'off limits' country that people who have been to, or are from, can't come to the US.

Unless it's just theatre, but that's a pretty expensive theatre show Trump is engaging in if that's the case.

As I said, was just curious
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by TeamStorm
It appears to, however I don't see how it would work if a crew had done a standover in a European country, and their next trip was to the US a day later. They'd have landed, and been in that 'off limits' country that people who have been to, or are from, can't come to the US.
I don't see the issue here.

If a crew member travels from London to Europe and stays overnight there, then flies back to London and stays overnight there, they are permitted to fly to the US.

If a US citizen travels from London to Europe and stays overnight there, then flies back to London and stays overnight there, they are permitted to fly to the US.

If a non-US citizen (who does not fall within any of the other exemptions) travels from London to Europe and stays overnight there, then flies back to London and stays overnight there, they are not permitted to fly to the US.
george77300 and YXXFlyer like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:24 am

It appears to, however I don't see how it would work if ...
But it doesn't matter where they've been and for how long if they are exempt from Trump's restrictions.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC. Gold
Originally Posted by Globaliser
I don't see the issue here.

If a crew member travels from London to Europe and stays overnight there, then flies back to London and stays overnight there, they are permitted to fly to the US.

If a US citizen travels from London to Europe and stays overnight there, then flies back to London and stays overnight there, they are permitted to fly to the US.

If a non-US citizen (who does not fall within any of the other exemptions) travels from London to Europe and stays overnight there, then flies back to London and stays overnight there, they are not permitted to fly to the US.
Any one of the three could catch the virus

How is the UK citizen any different from the US citizen when it comes to being infected?
The UK citizen could have had a day trip to Amsterdam, whilst the US citizen has just completed 4 weeks touring loads of countries throughout Europe
ben1991 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Fatdickie

How is the UK citizen any different from the US citizen when it comes to being infected?
The UK citizen could have had a day trip to Amsterdam, whilst the US citizen has just completed 4 weeks touring loads of countries throughout Europe
I'd guess that by excluding a large proportion of visitors they are delaying the spread of the virus , so the number of infected occurs at a more manageable level rather than a sudden rush that may flood health facilities and services.
James91 and mnhusker like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
The difference is that the US citizen is entitled to enter the US, whether or not they are infected. (What the US does with them thereafter is a post-arrival matter that doesn't concern the airline.)

In contrast, the UK citizen can only enter the US with permission.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:40 am

The UK citizen is likely to be doing a discretionary (to a varying degree) trip whereas the US citizen is likely to be returning home. Prohibiting both from travelling to the US would result in very different degrees of consequences.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:45 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

It's simply that a country cannot disallow entry by their own citizens. Nothing to do with how likely one would be to pick up an infection etc.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL

Unless it's just theatre, but that's a pretty expensive theatre show Trump is engaging in if that's the case.

As I said, was just curious
.You still cannot possible have read the Proclamation, especially where it expressly exempts air crew. Directing you Section 2(vii).

"any alien traveling as a nonimmigrant pursuant to a C-1, D, or C-1/D nonimmigrant visa as a crewmember or any alien otherwise traveling to the United States as air or sea crew;"

To be clear, an air crew member who performs a UK-Schengen (EU has nothing to do with this) flight, overnights in Schengen and returns to the UK, could then perform a UK-US flight without new limitation.
revorgap likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.