Wiki Posts
Search

BA Gouging on NYC Routes?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
BA Gouging on NYC Routes?

6:30 this morning I looked at an LHR-NYC return routing win WT+. It was £660 or so return - not bad. No indication that only a few seats were left at that price. Now the same route is £1660. They've also added a grand across the board in all fare classes on that route. I can fly premium in AA for £641, but as I'm not an AA elite there's no chance of an upgrade (they've become very mean in recent years about OW status upgrades).

Sure looks like price gouging to me.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I think certain fare categories have been zeroed out while a decision is made on frequency consolidation.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
This will settle down when the schedules are adjusted.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:22 am

Programs: BMI Dimond club, BA Executive Club
Half of Europe will now fly via UK/Ireland. It's pushed the price up until the uk/Ireland will also be banned from flying to the USA.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:24 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pacenotes
Half of Europe will now fly via UK/Ireland. It's pushed the price up until the uk/Ireland will also be banned from flying to the USA.
No they won’t because they won’t meet the requirement of not having been in Schengen during the previous two weeks.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:30 am
Original Poster

Thanks Elite and the others who've talked me off the ledge! This forum at it's best! I'll wait and see. Meanwhile £1300ish for return J via Dublin isn't looking bad. I have a US passport and haven't been to Schengen lately.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:39 am

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
Originally Posted by LondonElite
No they won’t because they won’t meet the requirement of not having been in Schengen during the previous two weeks.
I would imagine that anyone booked on a connecting ticket at least will be cancelled.

How are they going to police separate tickets and the lack of passport stamps to see who has been in Schengen recently?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:42 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tiger_lily
I would imagine that anyone booked on a connecting ticket at least will be cancelled.

How are they going to police separate tickets and the lack of passport stamps to see who has been in Schengen recently?
By asking serious questions. Lying under those circumstances is to be avoided.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by LondonElite
By asking serious questions. Lying under those circumstances is to be avoided.
I also reckon that they will suspect that passengers using passports issued in Schengen countries may have been in the Schengen area recently.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you've entered UK through egates - your passport chip will know where you've come from - which the US border officials will see ?
AJA_, Auto Enthusiast and BSAChris like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:19 am
Original Poster

Suddenly back down again. Crisis over. Apologies, Mods and others!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ditto the reward availability - tonnes back for next few weeks
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by pacenotes
You can't though? That's the point. If you've been in those countries for the last 14 days, you can't travel to the US. No-one is going to come to the UK for 14 days *just* to travel to the US.
RoyalSwazi and BSAChris like this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by mikeyfly
If you've entered UK through egates - your passport chip will know where you've come from - which the US border officials will see ?
100% yes. Your passport now tracks your travel and they can see where you've been *before* you even land. It's just not even worth the hassle, either, in my opinion.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:27 am

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
AFAIK the information on the chips is read-only. So the gate will know but your passport won’t.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.