Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

US Ban: BA flight Canx/Rebook Info & Help ONLY *No general discussion/speculation*

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tobias-UK
Currently, there are two relevant official releases. I am posting the links and some extracted text for your reference, but please ensure that you refer to the latest information, rather than relying on the information below.

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/...l-proclamation
https://www.whitehouse.gov/president...l-coronavirus/

The UK and Ireland are now affected by this ban. Non-Schengen countries in the EU are: Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Ireland and Romania.

Copied from the documents linked above:
Today President Donald J. Trump signed a Presidential Proclamation, which suspends the entry of most foreign nationals who have been in certain European countries at any point during the 14 days prior to their scheduled arrival to the United States. These countries, known as the Schengen Area, include: Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and Switzerland. This does not apply to legal permanent residents, (generally) immediate family members of U.S. citizens, and other individuals who are identified in the proclamation.

Effective Date. This proclamation is effective at 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020. This proclamation does not apply to persons aboard a flight scheduled to arrive in the United States that departed prior to 11:59 p.m. eastern daylight time on March 13, 2020.
Termination. This proclamation shall remain in effect until terminated by the President.

Print Wikipost

US Ban: BA flight Canx/Rebook Info & Help ONLY *No general discussion/speculation*

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Update 3: Joint Business travel is now included in the policy (so BA tickets issued for transatlantic flights with Iberia, Finnair or American). Same terms as BA prime.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
When did you speak to BA? The current guidelines allow for a free change or voucher as per post #56.
Thanks for reply, I talked to Gold line. But since I need a re-booking to mid of August they cant offer this. Timeframe is 3 weeks beyond the guideline. Free cancelation is not possible because booking was made last year. Only very new bookings are flexible. And voucher was also not possible.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:34 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by oceanscape
I see from Expert Flyer that BA has "zero" availability in all fare classes except J, Y and F (which each consistently have "9") for flights to LAX for the next 30 days. I'm confused. Why would they alter their UK - USA flights given the entry ban does not cover the UK, I'd have thought they'd be operating their UK-US flights as normal? If anything, wouldn't they be busier than usual if Schengen residents come over to UK for 2 weeks and then travel onwards from here?
I can book return flights from LHR to LAX at this moment without a problem on 3 daily flights, leaving this weekend and returning 24 March - in Economy, Premium and J and F too.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by hsmall
I have one question which I wonder if anyone has experience of? I have a trip to OSL coming up. I will have to move it so as for it not to bar my entry into the US the following week (Norway being Schengen). One leg of the journey is near the expiry of the ticket (it was bought nearly a year a ago. Will BA prolong the validity of the ticket, do people think?
It's not in policy, as things stand. You could ask and see if they would do it as an exception, but extending the ticket length may require sign off up the chain of command. Of course if there are flights cancelled, that would be another matter.
hsmall likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by bivinco
. And voucher was also not possible.
That doesn't make sense unless there is something missing here (e.g. you have already started the journey). Ring again and ask for that specifically.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by bivinco
Thanks for reply, I talked to Gold line. But since I need a re-booking to mid of August they cant offer this. Timeframe is 3 weeks beyond the guideline. Free cancelation is not possible because booking was made last year. Only very new bookings are flexible. And voucher was also not possible.
When did you speak to BA? Was it today, or before?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:44 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
For people who are based in the US, the US CDC travel warning for Schengen zone has been updated to Level 3 "Avoid nonessential travel".
https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices...navirus-europe

In addition, US Department of State have updated the global travel advisory to Level 3 "Reconsider Travel.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ory-issue.html

This may affect your travel insurance cover (or enable you to claim back the cost of cancellation).
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: BAEC 1991
BA appear to have issued 2 further updates their rebooking policy

See

https://ba-assistant.eu-gb.mybluemix...7e111d21deae93
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:04 am

Yes, we are on update 4, same dates and timelines as update 2, but with the specific ability to change gateway and stopover locations. So you can turn a LHR-JFK-LAX into a LHR-SFO for example. Update 3 allowed Joint Business travel to be in scope.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:12 am

Programs: BA Gold
Having never encountered a BA voucher before, if you get a large value can they be partially used across multiple flights (like a gift card), or do they need to be used all in one go?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Originally Posted by af101
Having never encountered a BA voucher before, if you get a large value can they be partially used across multiple flights (like a gift card), or do they need to be used all in one go?
The small print for the 'Book with Confidence' vouchers says they can be used over multiple transactions. These are probably the same.

Be careful though. These are NOT actually vouchers. Your existing flight goes into suspense and changes are made to it when you come to rebook (eg new destination, new dates). It is unlikely, I think, that you could change the passenger name so this isnt a voucher you could pass on or sell on necessarily.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:19 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by af101
yes, can be part redeemed for bookings of value lower than the voucher and the remainder would be left on the voucher.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Plat
Thanks for this very useful thread and the usual contributions.

Does the 'voucher' have a 12 month validity?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes, we are on update 4, same dates and timelines as update 2, but with the specific ability to change gateway and stopover locations. So you can turn a LHR-JFK-LAX into a LHR-SFO for example. Update 3 allowed Joint Business travel to be in scope.
Is there a limit on the distance between old and new gateways? I assume I couldn't just turn LHR-BOS into LHR-SFO, but what could I do with it if I wanted to change?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Would this mean one could change CDG-LHR-LAX to LHR-LAX? With or without change fees / fare differences?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.